Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So are we actually going to see any meaningful action taken to stop the hacking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So are we actually going to see any meaningful action taken to stop the hacking?

FromAbove
03.21.2013 , 01:07 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath View Post
In the past few days...and from 3-4 WZ's today, I've seen people using exploits or hacks. An assassin was getting focused, so to avoid it, he runs into a corner where no one can hit him. He and a few others on his side did that multiple times. I even tried hitting him with FiB to no avail. Exploit? Most likely. Acceptable? Only if you suck.
I haven't heard of this, but I hope you sent a report about the location on the map. When Novarre came out you could cap through the walls behind the terminals. I submitted a ticket the first time I saw someone doing it and got an individualized reply within a half an hour. That exploit has since been fixed (I think, anyway). Not sure if the customer support would still be as quick now, but I think there's a lot of evidence that BW has been taking "meaningful action" (see also bans and their ongoing efforts to prevent people from sneaking out of start zones).

Another was a GS that kept targeting me on my Mara. I decided to go after him (Ancient Hypergates right by the pylon) and he was also getting focused by a few other people. When I decided to go after him he had about 75% health left when all of a sudden he dropped into the ground and I found myself targeting the healer next to him without switching to him. Glitch? Maybe. Exploit? Possibly. Cheating? Most likely.
This is why people don't take hacking accusations seriously--or why I don't, anyway. In lieu of evidence (and I understand completely the various reasons people aren't providing it on the forums), hack-accusers have to rely on arguments--but typically those arguments are seriously flawed.

Here, you provide no support for the assertion that it's "most likely" cheating as opposed to glitch- or lag-based. Slinger cover mechanics are screwy and floor-drops happen to all classes anyway (read the 5th post/1st page in this topic for an example of someone dropping halfway into the floor). Also, are you sure he didn't get killed and you weren't automatically switched to the next target? With what sounds like at least 4 people targeting him, it's entirely possible that his 75% health dropped in a spike--slingers don't last long when their defensive cooldowns are spent.

Proof? None. I don't play this game with the intention of making videos. I play with the intention of having fun and trying to win a few WZ's before work. It's been proven that it happens so stop acting like everyone is a noob because it hasn't happened to you yet.
I think that's a completely reasonable explanation for not providing video evidence, but cheating's only been proven to happen occasionally. What people are objecting to are allegations of widespread cheating. People who work hard to get good at PvP are going to be pissed when someone accuses them of cheating just because they're good at the game. Why can't you stun that Gunslinger? Because he used Hunker Down. Why can't you hurt that Mara? Because she used Undying Rage. How did one player do 200k more damage than another? Because the second player isn't using his full complement of abilities.

Maybe these aren't the types of problems you personally think are going on, but many accusations of hacking betray a lack of knowledge about player abilities ("resolve hacks"=defensive cooldowns, "speed hacks"=Force Speed, etc.). It doesn't make sense that people who play lots of lots of PvP, who focus on it and get good at it, would be the ones who almost never see it happen. I agree that the automatic response shouldn't be to start shouting "noob" at everyone who makes the claim, but people who want to make the argument typically do a really poor job of making the case for their position and frequently seem wedded to their conclusions. That obstinance makes conversations about hacking really frustrating.

FromAbove
03.21.2013 , 01:29 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
And the glitch you mentioned, I just had that happen to me two times today. Right into the floor...gone. Marauder's cant do that.
Never seen this but hope you reported it. Are you sure the players aren't actually just dying?

I see odd behavior coming from players often. People spazzing around like they are on crack, etc. Enemies going in an out of stealth constantly killing me in 3 moves...when they are lower HP than me. I see and experience this stuff all the time. Tank that just keep going with 3 of us on him like were not even touching him. People heal spamming to the point where it takes 4 people to even get their health to drop. I could go on.
Melee DPSers pretty frequently run around their targets in seemingly crazy ways. I believe it's to make themselves more difficult to target, though I've mostly played ranged/non-stealth characters so I'm no expert. I kill people in just a couple of hits pretty frequently--it's the perk to having high burst damage. The point of a tank is to be able to take a lot of damage and to that end they obviously have some potent defensive cooldown abilities that reduce damage taken and make them more difficult to hit. Heal-spamming is easy to counter-- use interrupts and CC that isn't broken by damage. And frankly, I'm sorry, but if it's just one healer and it takes four people to kill him, that suggests you aren't using enough of your attack abilities.

Doing it as I suggest would make the game actually enjoyable, not just one long stress and frustration losing 15 games in a row when you need only 1 more for the weekly. Yes, some people play this game for FUN...not an ego boost.

Everytime I play PVP I just get upset and frustrated. I feel like I am wasting my time and have no enjoyment from it because of the things mentioned.
I'm sorry to hear that, and I can kind of understand where you're coming from with the matchmaking stuff, but what do people who take it more seriously do? Please spare me your condescending "ego boost" stuff--for me, the time I invested to try to get somewhat better is part of the fun. It isn't that hard to get halfway decent. If you watch a couple of youtube clips of people playing who are good you can learn a lot about how to get better at your class. And you know what? It's massively frustrating to see people swing only 50 or 60k damage in Voidstar, and also frustrating to sit in a queue for twenty or thirty minutes waiting for it to fill. There might be something to more intelligent matchmaking, but it will come at the cost of a longer queue, and I'm not sure that cost is worth it--for me, anyway.