Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Resource drops. Need or greed?

SWGEvictee
03.08.2013 , 12:59 PM | #1
So when in a group setting I understand the majority opinion on whether to roll need or greed on gear and schematics, but what is the general consensus on the crafting resource drops?

Thanks

StefanInter
03.08.2013 , 01:03 PM | #2
Same rules, all who can use it need imho.
SWTOR

Satedbuffalo
03.08.2013 , 01:08 PM | #3
Different strokes for different people. Best to ask at the beginning of the FP or operation what people would like to do.

Mitissa
03.08.2013 , 01:26 PM | #4
I was DPSing in a group last night as a BH-Mercenary and was booted before the final boss. The reasoning given by the tank: You rolled Greed on something I needed and you've been rolling greed the entire run! You are so selfish!. He then continued to tell me I do not understand the English language since apparently Greed > Need

You can't engage someone in a battle of wits if they're unarmed. Decide before the run what the drop rules are and if the tank rushes in pulling before you can discuss it let'm die.

Tachenko_Yuri
03.08.2013 , 01:34 PM | #5
The " need and greed " concept isn't exactly clear to a new player.

1st time ever I saw an item roll, I thought greed = " oooh I gotta get that no matter what " while need was " if i get it cool, if not, whatever "

I got explained that back in the day and did all legit rolls since then, my story about this came to a full circle 2 days when during a red reaper run, heal was needing on anything, took my time to explain what he did, why you don't wanna do it, and the consequences of continued needs for stuff that wasn't his, all politely, and he apologized and everything

They need to change it to like this:

Necessary, unnecessary, and pass

Themanthatisi
03.08.2013 , 02:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tachenko_Yuri View Post

1st time ever I saw an item roll, I thought greed = " oooh I gotta get that no matter what " while need was " if i get it cool, if not, whatever "

I got explained that back in the day and did all legit rolls since then, my story about this came to a full circle 2 days when during a red reaper run, heal was needing on anything, took my time to explain what he did, why you don't wanna do it, and the consequences of continued needs for stuff that wasn't his, all politely, and he apologized and everything

Early on, I also thought Greed was the one that would give a higher chance of getting it.... I will still, always be in favor of everyone gets a drop. (4 people fighting, 4 drops) or they fix the system where you can only need if your the correct class. This one topic comes up every week since launch, and no one does anyting about it.
I went though one HMFP recently where I got NO drops as a Tank and the healer got 3 willpower drops, the 2 ranged DPS guys were both cunning and they got 2 that they also greed on since they felt they did not need it (they were very well geared), the healer got those too out of luck on greed rolls. LOL....

Joking aside, the system is also not fair either and confusing to people that do not fully understand it.

When I say drops, I do not meen the garbage green ones... blue, orange or purple.

Seireeni
03.09.2013 , 06:25 PM | #7
What the game needs is a codex that pops up when you first time group with another player, one explains what need/greed/pass means. That gives the opportunity for everyone to understand the looting if they just want to.

ayobreezie
03.10.2013 , 06:52 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tachenko_Yuri View Post

I get what you're saying, but honestly, it's not too difficult to understand because your version is just re-worded "need" and "greed." If you need it, it is a necessity. If you don't need it, but you want it, you're just being greedy, so choose greed. If you don't need it nor want to be greedy, just pass.

And I like the codex idea of the last poster.
Pull up to the scene with my saber missin'! Middle finger up to my competition!

Icestar
03.11.2013 , 02:52 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
What the game needs is a codex that pops up when you first time group with another player, one explains what need/greed/pass means. That gives the opportunity for everyone to understand the looting if they just want to.
Either a codex that explains the lootbuttons in explicit detail or improve it into a entire new common sense lootsystem, discussed by me and hundreds if not thousands of other players here on the forum.

As it is now, the lootsystem is the wild west. Nobody can predict what happens, fun for a few frustration for some and dissapointment for many.

When it comes to resources, need if you can use it with your tradeskill and plan to do so, greed if you cant use it or has no need to use it.

jasonthelamb
03.11.2013 , 03:12 AM | #10
Honestly I don't get how people could think green > need... ever.

I guess it's just me that I think common sense states that if someone NEEDS it, then they get the primary roll for it, if they want to GREED it, it's not necessarily needed, they just want it.