Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
04.26.2013 , 03:13 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Gondolindhrim View Post
It's an amazing ability for sure. Dare I say it's as good (or even better?) as Resilience, in PvE at least? The CC immunity is a big deal in PvP, but for PvE I can't think of many encounters where I'd rather have that than the ability to absorb not only Force/Tech attacks but Ranged ones too - and that's not even considering the damage and threat the ability generates.

Very happy with our new skill. Even in PvP I'd consider it nearly on par with Resilience since the reflected damage can be quite significant.
I'd put them about on par. That single target direct damage requirement for Saber Reflect is really the kicker since a Shadow can Resilience Super Kephess's Dread Bomb, Heirad's Lightning Field and Stormcaller's Cleave which really makes a big difference in those fights but we can't use Saber Reflect on them. Similarly, as far as I can tell, you can reflect the TFB's scream in HM but you can only Resilience it in SM. They're both excellent abilities and properly leveraged (from a defensive perspective) I'd put them on par, sometimes one is better, other times its reversed.

When using Saber Reflect + AoE taunt on the pull, use Saber Reflect first and right after the leap. It gives ~8k threat on everything in range that you are in combat with, so most things should attack you anyway, then they will build threat on themselves for you and you can use the AoE taunt after to boost your threat.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Gondolindhrim's Avatar


Gondolindhrim
04.26.2013 , 06:03 PM | #32
I agree - thanks to the AoE caveat, Reflect is not superior in every way. I personally like that both abilities have an edge in different situations.
Rheiya | Fyrellis | Kayleen | Adelynn | Bao-der | Hailey | Lyell | Leonyra
Freiya | Zeyus | Ivaadi | Ellyxia | Shyala | Sugarberry | Ylvie| Syeeda

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
05.02.2013 , 05:47 PM | #33
OP Updated for Saber Reflect uses:

HM TFB: I can now confirm Op IX's Disinfection is still reflectable in HM and if used as soon as he spawns, makes life a hell of a lot easier on the healers. Not sure if this is a Ranged or Tech attack and as such if Shadows can Resilience it.

Hammer Station -Tunneling Droid: Reflect allows you to eat a full channel from the tunneler droid if your healer "forgets" to cleanse you.
Hammer Station - Vorgan the Volcano: Reflect will single handedly hold all 3 mobs here as long as no one else tunnels the ones you aren't attacking.
Taral V - Shivanek: Entirely ranged/tech attacks. Reflect will hold him while you burn down Ripper.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Punchy's Avatar


Punchy
05.03.2013 , 10:59 PM | #34
You confuse me, Grall. In a great way, no doubt. But still... /confusion.

+1 for the guide and maintaining it. +5 for knowing what you're talking about.

I tip my imaginary hat to you, sir.
Where's my taunt?

Gondolindhrim's Avatar


Gondolindhrim
05.04.2013 , 03:49 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
HM TFB: I can now confirm Op IX's Disinfection is still reflectable in HM and if used as soon as he spawns, makes life a hell of a lot easier on the healers. Not sure if this is a Ranged or Tech attack and as such if Shadows can Resilience it.
Noticed this too when I ran it the other day, was very pleased!

I would guess that it's Ranged based on the visual effect, but that's not exactly hard evidence.
Rheiya | Fyrellis | Kayleen | Adelynn | Bao-der | Hailey | Lyell | Leonyra
Freiya | Zeyus | Ivaadi | Ellyxia | Shyala | Sugarberry | Ylvie| Syeeda

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
05.05.2013 , 06:16 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Punchy View Post
You confuse me, Grall. In a great way, no doubt. But still... /confusion.

+1 for the guide and maintaining it. +5 for knowing what you're talking about.

I tip my imaginary hat to you, sir.
Thanks mate. Always happy to run with you guys if you're in need a tank (or heals/DPS even) but as I said, I'm with Vind for my mates first and foremost.

Quote: Originally Posted by Gondolindhrim View Post
Noticed this too when I ran it the other day, was very pleased!

I would guess that it's Ranged based on the visual effect, but that's not exactly hard evidence.
My thoughts as well, but then I never tried to Resilience it on my Shadow before.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Chakkal's Avatar


Chakkal
05.08.2013 , 12:40 PM | #37
Thanks for your guide, its very useful, but still, I have questions/doubts on the "correct" defense, shield, absorb and HP you should have. Ive searched and read lots of posts and I would like to know how you came up with the 25/40/25 for defense, shield and absorb percentages and how accurate you think they are, and do you believe that for 20/40/30 of mitigation stats is 31500 HP enough? Am asking these questions because i've seen diferent amounts of mitigation in diferent posts... so I just dont know which way to go...

K_osss's Avatar


K_osss
05.08.2013 , 02:35 PM | #38
Gralleh, thanks for the excellent guide! I've got a 50 guardian tank that I need to get up to 55 and appreciate the 2.0 update!

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
05.08.2013 , 06:13 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Chakkal View Post
Thanks for your guide, its very useful, but still, I have questions/doubts on the "correct" defense, shield, absorb and HP you should have. Ive searched and read lots of posts and I would like to know how you came up with the 25/40/25 for defense, shield and absorb percentages and how accurate you think they are, and do you believe that for 20/40/30 of mitigation stats is 31500 HP enough? Am asking these questions because i've seen diferent amounts of mitigation in diferent posts... so I just dont know which way to go...
As I say in the guide: there is no "correct" D/S/A vs HP gearing. Its all preferential, mostly on the part of your healers. Those number I posted were based on KBN's ratings for my stat budget at the time which was about 2400. Those rating have since changed but not hugely and the one fight I'm most concerned about (Thrasher and its massive DTPS) is still skewed towards Defence.

20/40/30 with 31.5k HP is fine. I currently have 22/41/28 with 34.8k HP stimmed but I'm guessing your in mostly 63/66?

Really, as long as your healers can keep you up, your gear is fine, if you want to tweak it for maximum survivability look at the ratings in KBN's post. Importantly, the old 30/50/50 everyone quoted wasn't actually the *ideal* ratio. It was just good enough and easy to recall. IIRC the ideal ratio was closer to 33/50/48.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Chakkal's Avatar


Chakkal
05.09.2013 , 04:34 AM | #40
Actually I am 69/66 (mostly 69), full augmented with defense and 4 with absorb (blue version though)... my HP is that low because I sacrificed HP to get those stats I showed you... In my experience its enough but I often see my HP close to 0... so I guess its a matter or balancing them according to the need of my healers... Again, thank you for your post and reply it really helped!