Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How I cope with the prequel trilogy (prequel lovers move along)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How I cope with the prequel trilogy (prequel lovers move along)

calypsissmexy's Avatar


calypsissmexy
03.10.2013 , 03:22 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Alorithan View Post
Anakin wasn't concieved by the force itself. Plagueis and Sidious' manipulations of force energy sent out ripples that did it. (That's the short answer). I'll give you midi-chlorians. Obi-wan wasn't Qui-gon. Obi-wan believed that the Council was pretty much infalliable, an extension of the Jedi Code. However he worshipped the ground Qui-gon walked on. So to obey the dying wish of his hero isn't exactly "weak" at all. Anakin was too old for training. Period. That's the rules, however They knew Obi-Wan was so desperate to obey his masters last request they couldn't stop him so they grudgingly allowed it rather than kick a powerful jedi knight out of the order. Padme and Anakin knew each other for years. At least a decade. Is it really that hard to assume they fell in love, especially when most of their interactions were off camera? Not really. Mace Windu and the Jedi were hardly stupid. They were fooled by one of the most powerful Sith Lords the galaxy had ever seen.

If you want to pick at flaws, at least find flaws. Not just things you don't like or understand.
You literally just made things up to support your argument. You win the internet.
my tumblr is smexy o.o

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
03.10.2013 , 03:36 PM | #42
Edit: Actually nvrm this, I ain't getting involved....i'll just watch you two.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

calypsissmexy's Avatar


calypsissmexy
03.10.2013 , 03:56 PM | #43
I'm actually pretty much done here. The prequel zombies have moved in and that was NOT the point of this thread.
my tumblr is smexy o.o

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
03.10.2013 , 06:59 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by calypsissmexy View Post
You literally just made things up to support your argument. You win the internet.
What is he making up?

Quote: Originally Posted by calypsissmexy View Post
I'm actually pretty much done here. The prequel zombies have moved in and that was NOT the point of this thread.
So, your M.O. is to attempt to belittle folks because they do not toe your line?
Crosswire -The Ebon Hawk Server
Co-Leader, The Way of the Maker - Family style Christian guild.

LordFailstrom's Avatar


LordFailstrom
03.11.2013 , 09:48 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
Why do you even care?Luke ,Solo,Anakin and all those people are terrible and boring anyway,
Forget all this movies nonsense and focus on the *OLD* Republic.Revan,Malak Freedon Nadd,old Sith Empire,this Sith Empire,Exar Kun,Malgus ,ect,ect,ect,jedi Exile,Darth Nox,Emperor's Wrath,Kreia,Baras,Thanaton and so many others.
These characters are so much more epic and interesting than the melodrama carebear Luke,Anakin,Leia,Obi-Wan nonsense.

Everything before the Ruusan Reformation is so much better in terms of characters,story,events,ect.Don't know what all this SW movies hype is.They are bad... all of them .The prequels are a joke and the sequels are a joke.
The movies have life lightsaber action,jedi and sith in them and they started it all(the franchise),that is all they are good for.
I'm sorry, this post irritates me considering you're passing off what opened the door and started literally ALL of this as irrelevant, how can you have any appreciation for a car and say that the invention of the automobile was pointless? That's like saying that some person is the greatest whatever to have lived and it doesn't matter whether or not their parents existed (which if they didn't then the person wouldn't)... do you seriously have no logical mind whatsoever?

The fact of the matter comes down to this: you cannot ever elminate the original as the ultimate law. For example, the Star Trek reboot doesn't replace nor invalidate the originals, instead they're going about to retell the same story via different events... to take a piece of writing and after-the-fact change what the original was is pompous ignorance, since the TRUE fanbase is interested only because of the original. So any arguments made against the facts as laid down in the OT, are invalidated before they are even laid by pen (or keyboard as the case may be).

Also, go with a slight philosophical here, hating the movies is a fine personal choice, but to discount them when they are inclusive story by word of the original creator in favor of anything EU not written by Lucas himself, is to attribute to glorified fanfiction as opposed to credit where it is due to begin with

Yes, when it's all said and done now you can debate all these characters, their faults, their strengths and whatever else, but when it comes down to it. Lucas created the SW universe and therefore, his creations come first and foremost as the absolute truth within the universe. A mechanic doesn't dictate the workings of the car AFTER the engineer has built it...

Alorithan's Avatar


Alorithan
03.11.2013 , 05:30 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by calypsissmexy View Post
You literally just made things up to support your argument. You win the internet.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
What is he making up?
This. I literally didn't make up a single thing.

BrianDavion's Avatar


BrianDavion
03.11.2013 , 06:01 PM | #47
most people where dissappointed in the prequals because they had expectations. rather then wanting to sit down and be told a story, they wanted GL to tell the story "they knew all along"

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
03.11.2013 , 06:13 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
most people where dissappointed in the prequals because they had expectations. rather then wanting to sit down and be told a story, they wanted GL to tell the story "they knew all along"
I agree with this too for the most part. Even I had expectations on what SHOULD have happened. Like I mentioned before, they are not great films, but they are enjoyable.
Crosswire -The Ebon Hawk Server
Co-Leader, The Way of the Maker - Family style Christian guild.

Alorithan's Avatar


Alorithan
03.11.2013 , 06:32 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
most people where dissappointed in the prequals because they had expectations. rather then wanting to sit down and be told a story, they wanted GL to tell the story "they knew all along"
Honestly I'm not a big fan myself. They were good movies, but not good Star Wars movies. I just think that most people such as the OP hate the movies simply because they've heard they're bad. All his reasons were easily explained away had he given it any thought. Someone else said it perfectly in this thread. Imho, the greatest moment in movie history was the fight between Vader and Luke in ROTJ. You could feel Luke struggling with the dark side, and even Vader struggling with fighting his only son. You were emotionally involved with everything that happened. From Ben's death, to Luke's tortured screams as Vader admits to being his father. When Han comes in and saves the day at the first death star you cheer. When the Rebels lose on Hoth it's traumatizing. Almost all the emotion is gone in the prequels. The only parts I feel did that well is Obi-wans cry when Qui-gon is killed, and Anakin's actual fall. I don't think Hayden is a bad actor, I think he was stunted. His scream of "I HATE YOU" when Obi-wan tells him he loves him is heart wrenching. There are definately great parts that make the prequels good movies. But they aren't Star Wars movies.

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
03.11.2013 , 06:40 PM | #50
It's not a matter of expectations, it's a matter of sloppy story telling, weak script writing, and awful characterization for the most part.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell