Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear for Sniper?

migzmando
03.05.2013 , 10:36 PM | #1
Hello, I have read somewhere that it is not wise to get all Field Tech gear. What other gear should I get with my commendations then? Or should I get the first 4 of a set to get the bonus, and then the last few parts to get a different type of gear? Also, my dps seems to be very low compared to others in my Guild that I raid with.. Granted, the other DPS that uses mox is nearly in all dread guard, and I'm in part tionese, exotech, and rakata now.. But my damage was roughly half.

My rotation is: CG--->CD---->WB----->Cull----->OS if Adrenaline probe is up---->snipe with laze target----->Cull------>SOS------>Ambush.. I'm relatively new to being a sniper, at least a level 50 Sniper. Any tips would be much appreciated, or any guides for gearing, that are out there?

Thank you for your time!

hyperdragon
03.05.2013 , 10:56 PM | #2
If you have two field tech battlemaster shells you want to use them because of the extra tick of OS.

My rotation (as lethality) usually is CG CD WB Cull OS Ambush Cull CG CD WB Cull SoS Ambush (repeat) its basic easy to do and gets good numbers to boot! You are able to experiment freely if you like. Never saw the point in snipe but what ever works for you. But you pretty much wanna keep Cull and OS on cooldown ALWAYS. You might not get the best numbers out of everyone else (especially if you don't have the two battlemaster bonus) but you'll be better than alot of other DPS.

Go for the 4 piece pve bonus if you want, I always viewed it as it helping you at some point, but its not NEEDED. Heck not even the 2 piece is needed (I went the longest time without it and did fine)

Personal preference is a big thing when it comes to DPS, but that rotation is pretty much what I do and I out DPS most other people on my server. Feel free to try different things, I did and stuck with the one I liked.

NotRonin
03.05.2013 , 10:57 PM | #3
Lethality's rotation is based on 2 principle:

2 Full Poison on target at all time.
Cull every 9 seconds.

So your rotation will be

CG -> CD -> WB -> Cull ->Ambush -> SoS -> Cull -> X , where X is a filler (Rapid shot or Shatter Shot). When you're starting out, forget about Orbital strike, and concentrate on the above rotation instead.

migzmando
03.05.2013 , 11:13 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by hyperdragon View Post
If you have two field tech battlemaster shells you want to use them because of the extra tick of OS.

My rotation (as lethality) usually is CG CD WB Cull OS Ambush Cull CG CD WB Cull SoS Ambush (repeat) its basic easy to do and gets good numbers to boot! You are able to experiment freely if you like. Never saw the point in snipe but what ever works for you. But you pretty much wanna keep Cull and OS on cooldown ALWAYS. You might not get the best numbers out of everyone else (especially if you don't have the two battlemaster bonus) but you'll be better than alot of other DPS.

Go for the 4 piece pve bonus if you want, I always viewed it as it helping you at some point, but its not NEEDED. Heck not even the 2 piece is needed (I went the longest time without it and did fine)

Personal preference is a big thing when it comes to DPS, but that rotation is pretty much what I do and I out DPS most other people on my server. Feel free to try different things, I did and stuck with the one I liked.

Thank you for the prompt replies, both of you.. Hyperdragon, what are field tech battlemaster shells? Are those the relics? Also, Currently I have 5 pieces of field tech gear. Columi Head piece, Rakata Chest piece, Rakata legs, Rakata boots. If I don't go for Field tech in these slots, what should I go for? I mean it seems like the only option for Sniper because it gives the set bonus and has the stats that I need. Also, I'm curious, what secondary attributes should I be aiming for? Cunning, End are the main ones I know, but what is more important between, Crit, Alacrity, Power, Surge?

Thank you again, and sorry for the noobie questions.

BebeLeBozo
03.06.2013 , 01:45 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by migzmando View Post
, what are field tech battlemaster shells? .
Battlemaster are obsolete PvP shells. It's been replaced by War Hero (which will be changing when 2.0 comes out).

Infalliable
03.06.2013 , 03:55 PM | #6
Thank you for the prompt replies, both of you.. Hyperdragon, what are field tech battlemaster shells? Are those the relics? Also, Currently I have 5 pieces of field tech gear. Columi Head piece, Rakata Chest piece, Rakata legs, Rakata boots. If I don't go for Field tech in these slots, what should I go for? I mean it seems like the only option for Sniper because it gives the set bonus and has the stats that I need. Also, I'm curious, what secondary attributes should I be aiming for? Cunning, End are the main ones I know, but what is more important between, Crit, Alacrity, Power, Surge?

Thank you again, and sorry for the noobie questions.
For critcal rating, you want enough to have about a 38% critical chance with lethality to help with energy management. The exact amount of critical rating this will take varies, and is easier with better gear as Cunning will also increase your critical chance. About 300-350 critical rating is usually about right. After that, get power. (after the 2.0 patch hits, this should change).

Alacrity at this point is largely useless for lethality. You're limited by the recharge time on Cull, not by channel/cast times. So it helps very little/none. After 2.0 hits, it may be more helpful as it'll give some resource regeneration as well but you'll still be limited by the cooldown on Cull more than anything (which alacrity doesn't effect). If you have a little, it helps with a bit with compensating for lag but it's definitely not a priority stat to go after. The only alacrity I (and most other lethality snipers) usually have is the 2% boost from the teir 1 talent in lethality's skill tree.

Surge go for about 250. That should put you at 75% critical multiplier.

migzmando
03.06.2013 , 04:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
For critcal rating, you want enough to have about a 38% critical chance with lethality to help with energy management. The exact amount of critical rating this will take varies, and is easier with better gear as Cunning will also increase your critical chance. About 300-350 critical rating is usually about right. After that, get power. (after the 2.0 patch hits, this should change).

Alacrity at this point is largely useless for lethality. You're limited by the recharge time on Cull, not by channel/cast times. So it helps very little/none. After 2.0 hits, it may be more helpful as it'll give some resource regeneration as well but you'll still be limited by the cooldown on Cull more than anything (which alacrity doesn't effect). If you have a little, it helps with a bit with compensating for lag but it's definitely not a priority stat to go after. The only alacrity I (and most other lethality snipers) usually have is the 2% boost from the teir 1 talent in lethality's skill tree.

Surge go for about 250. That should put you at 75% critical multiplier.

Thank you for this.. What about accuracy? Also, as far as gear goes, for rakata is it ok to get all field tech rakata pieces?

Thank you again for all the help and kind responses.

Infalliable
03.06.2013 , 05:37 PM | #8
Thank you for this.. What about accuracy? Also, as far as gear goes, for rakata is it ok to get all field tech rakata pieces?

Thank you again for all the help and kind responses.
The field tech bonuses are the only ones that are useful. The others that you would want are no longer available.

Accuracy you want 110% ranged accuracy.

migzmando
03.06.2013 , 06:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
The field tech bonuses are the only ones that are useful. The others that you would want are no longer available.

Accuracy you want 110% ranged accuracy.
Okay.. Thank you! Could you answer one more question for me? With the rotation cg----cd----wb-----cull----SOS or ambush, etc what sort of dps can I expect? Currently I'm in rakata gear. Also are there other better rotations or builds that might help do more dps until I get to the higher gear? I want to compete with my guilds almost full dread guard marauder!! Lol

verfallen
03.06.2013 , 06:24 PM | #10
I found the best dps for me came from the eng/lethality hybrid.

Exact spec is 2/16/23.

The rotation is largely lethality one, but the fillers are from eng, and specced fillers do a lot of damage.

The sacrifice is weakening blast, so cull is less impressive, however explosive probe is now energy positive from Cluster Bombs, and you gain a powerful DoT in IP.

Energy managemen is trickier, but i found the best results when I stopped trying to pull every single bit of damage from Eng.

Rotation is pretty much : CG->CD->cull->IP->EP->rifle shot->cull.

My gear is largely unaugmented tio/columni, i have a 63 barrel in my sniper, rest of the mods being tio, and WH offhand.

Result on the dummy : 1,5k dps on a 5 minute run.

Lethality hits around 1,35k, pure MM 1,27k, and MM/eng hybrid 1,3k

For solo PvE, MM does better for me, being vastly superior in less than 20 seconds encounters, but for ops my choice is clear.