Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display name only...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lunafox
03.05.2013 , 12:13 PM | #1
I just read that as of April 2nd, only our display name will be needed to log in, I don't see how this is safer...but I'm wondering about the security keys, are these still going to be needed? Or are they not required now, and do we have to have them removed from the account or anything?

Thanks.
More Individual class/companion story extensions!
~I came, I saw, I went shopping.~

orpheus
03.05.2013 , 12:14 PM | #2
Simply put, your username is changing. Nothing else.

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 12:16 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
I just read that as of April 2nd, only our display name will be needed to log in, I don't see how this is safer...but I'm wondering about the security keys, are these still going to be needed? Or are they not required now, and do we have to have them removed from the account or anything?

Thanks.
You will still need your password and security key. Otherwise all of the rest of us could login as Lunafox and take your stuff.

It's just that you won't use your email for the login "username" anymore.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

darkov
03.05.2013 , 12:39 PM | #4
Curious why there has been no messaging about this from EA, as you log in with your Origin/EA account, which is used in a lot more places than just SWTOR.

Voxx_Voltaare
03.05.2013 , 01:02 PM | #5
Really not thrilled with this. I would have liked it if they allowed you at least a one time chance to change your display name first. They claim they don't have that capability yet. Oh but if you have a name that is deemed offensive they will make you change it right away.
The Voltaare Legacy /// Harbinger
Ætheriä - SentinelDöctör-Stränge - Scoundrel

Lunafox
03.05.2013 , 01:27 PM | #6
Ok thanks for the answers guys. Much appreciated, specially Andryah, lol. I wondered how that was gonna work, lol. Glad to hear they'll still need the other stuff, it just didnt read that way to me when I saw the notice.
More Individual class/companion story extensions!
~I came, I saw, I went shopping.~

AsheraII
03.05.2013 , 01:34 PM | #7
The reason why it's safer, is that someone hacking your account will NOT automatically know your email adress as well. And they can't change your email adress without entering the old one first and going through confirmationmails etc. Which they can't reach because they don't have your mail addy.

If you get hacked, then all they have is your username and password. So while they can steal your in-game stuff, they can't steal your entire account.

I'd still like to see a regional lockout added though, so someone with an IP from Uzbekistan or Mexico or Timbuktu or whatever couldn't access my account, simply because they're from a different region than where I come from.
. . . . . . ¶▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##¯¯(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==¯¯¯¯¯|####/¯¯

SWGEvictee
03.05.2013 , 01:41 PM | #8
According to the info they posted on it, we should be able to log in either way now. It just goes to display name only on the 2nd.

GoldenHornet
03.05.2013 , 02:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
The reason why it's safer, is that someone hacking your account will NOT automatically know your email adress as well. And they can't change your email adress without entering the old one first and going through confirmationmails etc. Which they can't reach because they don't have your mail addy.

If you get hacked, then all they have is your username and password. So while they can steal your in-game stuff, they can't steal your entire account.

I'd still like to see a regional lockout added though, so someone with an IP from Uzbekistan or Mexico or Timbuktu or whatever couldn't access my account, simply because they're from a different region than where I come from.
I suspect the real reason it's slightly more secure is that too many idiots out there use the same email address / password combination for everywhere they go.

Once your credentials have been leaked from joesinsecuresite.com they are pasted up on pastebin or somewhere and then tried at every game, bank, website possible to see if you're dumb enough to have re-used them elsewhere.

DarthTHC
03.05.2013 , 02:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldenHornet View Post
I suspect the real reason it's slightly more secure is that too many idiots out there use the same email address / password combination for everywhere they go.

Once your credentials have been leaked from joesinsecuresite.com they are pasted up on pastebin or somewhere and then tried at every game, bank, website possible to see if you're dumb enough to have re-used them elsewhere.
Or it's actually LESS secure.

With this change, anyone who can view the forums (read: EVERYONE) immediately knows 1/2 to 1/3 of the information necessary to log into your account depending on whether or not you have an authenticator associated to it. They don't have to hack a database. They don't have to get you to click on their phishing link. They just have to open a browser.

Before this change, well... can YOU tell me the email address I have associated with this account? That's right, you have NONE of the information necessary to log in as me.

They're not doing it to make it more secure. They're doing it to make it easier on themselves. F2P accounts do NOT need or use email address to log in; only user name.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer