Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

rolandhyatt
03.05.2013 , 12:53 PM | #81
this sounds pure stupid, i cannot even change the display name but i can change my email address...how is this more secure?

also isnt the display name your forum name ? fing nuts ville...

Avorniel
03.05.2013 , 12:56 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by rolandhyatt View Post
this sounds pure stupid, i cannot even change the display name but i can change my email address...how is this more secure?

have sent in an in game ticket if they don't change the display name I will be asking for a full refund as I find this is actually putting my account at risk which I pay for and not the other way around....
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

idnewton
03.05.2013 , 12:56 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugattiboy View Post
No. It's not April Fools. If there is one thing EA does right and takes seriously, it's account security.
Ha! Good joke. Do you really think this will increase account security? I don't know your email, but I can see your account name right here on the forums. It makes accounts that much easier to hack.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 Dread Fortress PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

Altheran
03.05.2013 , 12:57 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by rolandhyatt View Post

Have you ever seen a forum where you can change your name ? Personnally, I didn't. It has always been "change name = create account"

Han_Salo
03.05.2013 , 01:15 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Raideag View Post
If this isn't an early April Fools joke I don't know what is. ...
I think it is. A few weeks later, we will know.
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Display-name has been done for F2P as I assume they don't need Origin. It was a need.
Now, not allowing to use e-mail don't improve the security for your account, but do not decrease it either. However, by not filling the ID entry with your e-mail, it makes it more complicated to "steal" it. Then your e-mail is less in danger. Same goes for your Origin account.
Okay, then it's only a better protection for my e-mail-adress, but not for my account, right? Bioware/EA cares for my mailaccount? Come on, what kind of explaination is that ...
Handmaidens of Atris (R.I.P.) > The Jedi Tower (R.I.P.) > T3-M4

Loqutor
03.05.2013 , 01:21 PM | #86
Strike two, EA. Congratulations, I'm now two-thirds of the way towards cancelling my subscription. Strike one was when, for FOUR WHOLE MONTHS, I continually reported a bug to you that significantly impacts my gameplay (the NPC disappearance bug), and not only did you not fix it, you didn't even add it to the list of known bugs. That bug is still there. And on top of not getting rid of this bug, now you're making people's accounts a hell of a lot less secure.

What is wrong with you?
"I'll be a brother to you, all right. And I know how, believe me. I had brothers when I was spawned. And you know what? I ate them."

-Bossk

Beranzen
03.05.2013 , 01:21 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by NextGenHunter View Post
...nope...if this happens...nope (unsub)
Was waiting for the ever predictable "you do this and I'll unsub" post.
The Demonstone Legacy
Kurgan Demonstone L55 Sith Pureblood Juggernaut
De'inara Demonstone L52 Chiss Operative
CE OWNERVIP? Nah.
Regulator Squadron

Taleek
03.05.2013 , 01:34 PM | #88
Uh, guys, you could already log in using your display name, so this cannot actually make your account less secure.....
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

discbox
03.05.2013 , 01:34 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
It has been possible to log in with display- name for months now. This change do nothing else than protecting your e-mail and your Origin account.
I can protect my e-mail myself, by the way I use it.

Noone told us that we can use our display-name, I think. This change does nothing than make my SWTOR-account less secure. And my e-mail is none of yours or BioWares business.

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 01:34 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Ha! Good joke. Do you really think this will increase account security? I don't know your email, but I can see your account name right here on the forums. It makes accounts that much easier to hack.
The real issue with email as an account name is many people are careless and use the same email address and password in multiple places. Careless, yes.... but they do it. Hackers have hacked websites and snatched entire databases and then plugged them into autologging software, precisely because it bears them fruit for their labors. Even when the password does not match, they just set the autologger to try variations or load in another hacked list they stole somewhere else and collect passwords for the same email address and cycle through them.

Does a forum handle represent higher security by itself? No. But it also is less likely to exist and be used in multiple places across the internet. So it is less prone to hacker based proliferation of attack.

What hackers will not do is sit someone down and collect forum names by hand off of a forum. It's low return on effort for them, even in China. So unless Bioware is compromised and their database is hacked and stolen, forum handles are not a real security risk in the context of how account hackers work. That said, Bioware so far has a perfect record in terms of account security, which sadly cannot be said of most other MMO companies.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.