Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

actorman
03.05.2013 , 12:27 PM | #71
I don't know why they couldn't have taken the time to do a write up on how they think it is supposed to improve security. I hate it when they make statments without backing them up.

James_four
03.05.2013 , 12:29 PM | #72
This upcoming security downgrade is a really bad idea for the reasons discussed earlier. Most logins have been moving away from the username format. This is the first time I have heard of anyone moving back to the username login format.

I would really like some clarification on why swtor is doing this.

Avorniel
03.05.2013 , 12:31 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
The names of any of your in-game characters are irrelevant to logging in.
wrong my display name is my in game characters name.....which until this stupid idea wasn't a security issue
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

Altheran
03.05.2013 , 12:33 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Han_Salo View Post
Then please, tell me how it exactly works to give me more security to log in with my display-name. Maybe I'm not smart enough, how will that work to give me a better protection?
Display-name has been done for F2P as I assume they don't need Origin. It was a need.

Now, not allowing to use e-mail don't improve the security for your account, but do not decrease it either. However, by not filling the ID entry with your e-mail, it makes it more complicated to "steal" it. Then your e-mail is less in danger. Same goes for your Origin account.

joshis
03.05.2013 , 12:37 PM | #75
So i hate my display name and wanted it changed, you guys said no and now i have to use it every time i log in, also how does this help security, it seems half brained more than anything, people do not know my email but they know my name just by seeing this post.

Merouk
03.05.2013 , 12:39 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
STOP THIS!
I*D*I*O*T*S!
Everybody knows my login after 2. April. The E-Maili use for login is not known to everbody.
LOL, after April 2? It's accepting either email or display name RIGHT NOW. discbox can be hacked RIGHT NOW. It's already a "choice", and they'll turn off the email choice later.

It's stupid.

People have chosen simple forum names back when we thought they'd just be a forum name. Now that they're the logon ID, publicly available, I'd like to choose a more complex / longer "display name."

Raideag
03.05.2013 , 12:41 PM | #77
If this isn't an early April Fools joke I don't know what is. Seems like this is a step backwards in terms of security then the way it is right now. Did someone put the cart before the horse again?
The Wampas Legacy - lvl 50 - Jedi Covenant
Genla (50) Ossktini (50) Aldius (50) Dodman (50) Senturi (50) Maffis (50)
Raideag (50) Osskto (50)

TheronShan
03.05.2013 , 12:43 PM | #78
I suppose it stops people from seeing your e-mail address as more people probably know your email address than your SWTOR Display Name. Saying this, your display name is more likely to be seen by those who wish to access your account.

Does this mean that if you use the forums and those using these posts (which uses your display name) with therefore know half of your log in, when they might not have known your e-mail address?
"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them." Bastila Shan

Merouk
03.05.2013 , 12:47 PM | #79
It's not an April Fools joke as the name login is already implemented. Their stated reason of "for security" is pure ******** and it's pissing people off. It's not for security. If it was for security they'd let us pick a logon ID that is not shown on the forums.

I wonder how trivial it is to write a web script to collect poster names from this forum. Even if they didn't have a search function, Google does, and it archives everything.

Tatile
03.05.2013 , 12:51 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More
This does not sound like a good idea, at all. I thought the purpose of having a Display Name was so that it was only for display - and not to serve a proper function. This just seems very bad.