Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Elear's Avatar


Elear
04.01.2013 , 11:43 AM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by KennethHoover View Post
Don't look at my display name!

No, wait, that's not gonna work....
That's because you forgot to wave your hand.

Avorniel's Avatar


Avorniel
04.01.2013 , 12:00 PM | #522
still not over impressed with this move,I don't disagree that it may be better security and all that but I don't want my display name as my login to my account simple as that.
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
04.01.2013 , 12:10 PM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by Avorniel View Post
still not over impressed with this move,I don't disagree that it may be better security and all that but I don't want my display name as my login to my account simple as that.
Your display name has been synonymous with your email address for authentication since f2p went live. That ship has sailed.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
04.01.2013 , 12:31 PM | #524 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
I wanted to remind everyone of this change coming tomorrow. After tomorrow morning's maintenance you will only be able to login using your display name. I wanted to make sure there was visibility on this change for anyone preparing today.

Also, if someone hasn't seen all of our information about this so far, we will be posting our usual run of news article, website, and launcher information to make sure everyone is informed of the change tomorrow. There will also be information on how to recover your display name also should you forget it.

Thanks!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
04.01.2013 , 12:42 PM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhysling View Post
Taking the time to read answers that are wrong doesn't help.

But, I suppose they must learn from their mistakes. And boy are they going to learn after this goes live. lol
As someone already said -- Please, enlighten us with your knowledge of Security.
Oh, I'm sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about? That's what I thought.

None of these answers are wrong. YOU are clearly the only troll here. Just because you lack of knowledge of security practices DOESN'T mean someone else is wrong. There's a reason he's the head of security and you aren't. There's a reason not a SINGLE account has been hacked, vs. the hundreds hacked every week in WoW and other MMOs.

AND -- Andryah may be outspoken and opinionated, but CERTAINLY not a troll. Unlike you, she clearly understands logic, even if she does apologize for Bioware too much

Avorniel's Avatar


Avorniel
04.01.2013 , 02:00 PM | #526
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Your display name has been synonymous with your email address for authentication since f2p went live. That ship has sailed.
yes I am well aware of that but now it's being forced..time to jump ship and just not post here anymore ...
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
04.01.2013 , 02:10 PM | #527
Quote: Originally Posted by Avorniel View Post
yes I am well aware of that but now it's being forced..time to jump ship and just not post here anymore ...
Even though, as has been said COUNTLESS times, your display name AND e-mail have NEVER been used as a security measure?

Strange that so many people who know NOTHING of security would leave because of their lack of knowledge. . . .

Pscyon's Avatar


Pscyon
04.01.2013 , 02:49 PM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I wanted to remind everyone of this change coming tomorrow. After tomorrow morning's maintenance you will only be able to login using your display name. I wanted to make sure there was visibility on this change for anyone preparing today.

Also, if someone hasn't seen all of our information about this so far, we will be posting our usual run of news article, website, and launcher information to make sure everyone is informed of the change tomorrow. There will also be information on how to recover your display name also should you forget it.

Thanks!

-eric
Since this happens alongside, apparently, several other unannounced changes you're doing to the account system, could you say whether or not one of those changes is allowing people to use Paypal again? Quite a few people have been robbed of that option for no discernible reason. Have a guildie that won't be getting RotHC simply because Paypal isn't available.
Sith Sorcerer

Avorniel's Avatar


Avorniel
04.01.2013 , 03:04 PM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Even though, as has been said COUNTLESS times, your display name AND e-mail have NEVER been used as a security measure?

Strange that so many people who know NOTHING of security would leave because of their lack of knowledge. . . .
and strange that posters don't read what others type before trying to be smart.....

hint go up 7 posts to what i posted

also who said anything about leaving?? I would hardly call not posting here as that ...
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

GalaxyStrong's Avatar


GalaxyStrong
04.01.2013 , 03:50 PM | #530
THIS IS WHY THEY ARE DOING IT.

They are trying to protect us from a Hacker tactic called Combo'ing. What Combo'ing is, is when a bunch of hackers attack a weak website that does not have good security and raid it for "Login & Password" info. Then, they take the login & passwords and start trying to use them on other websites (Examples- Paypal, Bank websites, GAME websites, credit card websites, ect, ect, ect.) and when they find a match they get on to the account and then they screw you. This tactic works quite often because people now more than ever are forced to register to online sites in order to get access to the site and most people HATE trying to remember several login's & passwords so, they try as much as possible to recycle the same login & password if they can (I try not reuse passwords for this reason but, people do it all the time). By changing their login requirement to a screen name it helps secure your information due to the fact most web sites want you to use your email address as your login and there fore most of the time hacker using this technique are going to try to use your email address as the login and then apply the password they found.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN