Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rhysling
04.01.2013 , 08:19 AM | #511
This is really a bad idea. No one knows my email but everyone who comes to the forums will know my Display name.

How is that more secure? You are giving away the first piece of information.

Andryah
04.01.2013 , 08:27 AM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhysling View Post
This is really a bad idea. No one knows my email but everyone who comes to the forums will know my Display name.

Sometimes.... sometimes... there is merit in reading through a thread for the detailed responses by the Bioware head of security about why you are so wrong and are worrying about the wrong things from a security perspectice.

I'm not kidding.... take the time to read what has been shared in response to your complaint (which has been expressed and answered multiple times.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Rhysling
04.01.2013 , 08:29 AM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

Sometimes.... sometimes... there is merit in reading through a thread for the detailed responses by the Bioware head of security about why you are so wrong and are worrying about the wrong things from a security perspectice.

I'm not kidding.... take the time to read what has been shared in response to your complaint (which has been expressed and answered multiple times.
Taking the time to read answers that are wrong doesn't help.

But, I suppose they must learn from their mistakes. And boy are they going to learn after this goes live. lol

Andryah
04.01.2013 , 08:47 AM | #514

But, I suppose they must learn from their mistakes. And boy are they going to learn after this goes live. lol
I'm bookmarking your response. Because it will be worth it to come back in two weeks and go...

WUT??!!

Some "the sky is falling!!!" style responses are worth the extra effort.

Rhysling
04.01.2013 , 08:53 AM | #515
I'm bookmarking your response. Because it will be worth it to come back in two weeks and go...

WUT??!!

Some "the sky is falling!!!" style responses are worth the extra effort.
lol And how will to determine that? Will Bioware call you and tell you everything was alright? Maybe what you should do is sit in the the CS forums and watch all the people post about being hacked.

Though judging by your own post history I see you just enjoying trolling. No one here is yelling the 'sky is falling'. They are trying to stop a mistake to a game that we love to play.

If you don't like the game, why are you here? Must be an MMO out there better fitting to your demeanor. I can think of at least one. Welcome to ignore. At least that is a feature that is being used to its full potential.

Andryah
04.01.2013 , 09:04 AM | #516
lol And how will to determine that? Will Bioware call you and tell you everything was alright? Maybe what you should do is sit in the the CS forums and watch all the people post about being hacked.

Though judging by your own post history I see you just enjoying trolling. No one here is yelling the 'sky is falling'. They are trying to stop a mistake to a game that we love to play.

If you don't like the game, why are you here? Must be an MMO out there better fitting to your demeanor. I can think of at least one. Welcome to ignore. At least that is a feature that is being used to its full potential.
LOL... I think you are probably the first person in forum history to tell me "If you don't like the game, why are you here?"

I'm more used to being called fanboy, white knight, Bioware apologist, <insert your favorite perjorative here>.

THAT was funny.

ikinai
04.01.2013 , 09:15 AM | #517

And just how are the answers wrong? Do tell.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School
Is this referral mic on? It's free stuff and stuff, in game.

astrobearx
04.01.2013 , 09:25 AM | #518
LOL... I think you are probably the first person in forum history to tell me "If you don't like the game, why are you here?"

I'm more used to being called fanboy, white knight, Bioware apologist, <insert your favorite perjorative here>.

THAT was funny.
indeed, andryah is the ultimate bioware apologist. on that dude behalf, i will say that he is sorry ol' great whitelighter. may you continue you BW fanboism for eons to come
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Because Bioware won't let my have the Jewel of the Dark Side, which would amplify my powers and allow me to take control of the galaxy in my bid for a tyrannical dictatorship.
Poo-doo.

DarthTHC
04.01.2013 , 09:34 AM | #519

Sometimes people cannot be convinced by using logic; they can only be convinced by invoking emotional responses. I think you might be one of those people.

Had you read Phillip_BW's posts, you would understand the myriad of reasons that this change makes the authentication system more secure. If you're worried about it being less secure, well, it's been in use for months already. Since f2p went live.

In all that time, how many SWTOR accounts have you heard of being compromised? We have a pretty vocal community. I read the forums every weekday. I have heard of zero.

In ONE DAY, how many WoW accounts are compromised?

Phillip_BW knows security. He's proven that not only through his informative posts here on the forums but also in his stellar results with this game.

Even though it may be raining or even snowing where you are, the sky is, in fact, NOT falling. It will be fine. Just as it has been since f2p went live. In fact, with the new self-service stuff they're talking about, things will be BETTER!

I'm sure the community would love to understand more detail about your claim that Phillip_BW's answers are "wrong", starting with your own pedigree in network security. Please, do share!

Besides, as I mentioned above, it has been live since f2p happened. I can find no reports compromised accounts. What exactly do you think the developers need to "learn"?

KennethHoover
04.01.2013 , 09:43 AM | #520
Don't look at my display name!

No, wait, that's not gonna work....
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me