Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTHC
03.11.2013 , 07:56 AM | #481
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
Looked at the back of mine. Yep, made in China.

And why has BW unstickied this thread that should be up until the change in roughly 3 weeks? Ashamed?
What exactly does the SWTOR security team have to be ashamed of?

How many compromised accounts have there been?

I mean, I could see if this thing were leaking like a seive, sure, beat 'em up. But it's locked up tighter than "the big dog" and they're about to make it even more secure.

Seriously, where's the rationality in this thread?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Jacen_Starsolo
03.11.2013 , 08:19 AM | #482
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
What exactly does the SWTOR security team have to be ashamed of?

How many compromised accounts have there been?

I mean, I could see if this thing were leaking like a seive, sure, beat 'em up. But it's locked up tighter than "the big dog" and they're about to make it even more secure.

Seriously, where's the rationality in this thread?
Still you are not answering the actual question. Why unsticky news about how to log in to the game 3 weeks before it is the only way to log in?

Seriously, are all fanatics tactic only deflection?

DarthTHC
03.11.2013 , 08:36 AM | #483
Still you are not answering the actual question. Why unsticky news about how to log in to the game 3 weeks before it is the only way to log in?

Seriously, are all fanatics tactic only deflection?
Actually that's a good question. The answer may be related to the large number of sticky threads and the fact that this news has made the front page of the launcher.

That's a theory anyway. If the purpose of stickies is to convey information, well, the launcher frankly will do a better job of that for more people than a forum post can.

And we can, of course, keep discussing it and it will keep popping to the front page as we do.

But I assure you, my goal wasn't "deflection" but rather, "Let's look really closely at the reality of account security in SWTOR as it relates to the 'embarrassed' wise-crack."
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Jacen_Starsolo
03.11.2013 , 08:46 AM | #484
If someone who left the game comes back after the change and never posted on the forums, they may have a hard time logging back in. I hope BW thought of that and has planned some way to recover Display Name option somewhere where it will send the display name to the e-mail on record.

I doubt they will have the link to the news in the launcher forever either.

AlienEyeTX
03.11.2013 , 08:51 AM | #485
If someone who left the game comes back after the change and never posted on the forums, they may have a hard time logging back in. I hope BW thought of that and has planned some way to recover Display Name option somewhere where it will send the display name to the e-mail on record.

I doubt they will have the link to the news in the launcher forever either.
They did send an email.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Jacen_Starsolo
03.11.2013 , 08:55 AM | #486
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
They did send an email.
Yep but some people use their "spam collector" e-mail address that they rarely check. /innocent look One reason I don't get too mad if a hacker gets my e-mail address from a game since only get spam from mailing lists there.

KerryK
03.11.2013 , 08:56 AM | #487
a silly useless change that makes things less secure in my opinion

DarthTHC
03.11.2013 , 09:18 AM | #488
Quote: Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
Please do share with us your education, experience, and results in the field of network / account security.

AlienEyeTX
03.11.2013 , 10:31 AM | #489
Quote: Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
This has been addressed. Leave security to the professionals. But, thanks for sharing your opinion.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

UltimateKrucible
03.11.2013 , 10:40 AM | #490
Has anyone from BW commented on the fact that our usernames are there for everyone to see on the forums, and whether accounts will be blocked for numerous failed attempts to log in with them?

That's the part of this that keeps bugging me.
. Shine on, you crazy pixel.

Funny post! The nine circles of SW:TOR PvP hell