Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Going for the off node?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Going for the off node?

Crujido
03.05.2013 , 10:27 AM | #11
Its not a necessity, but it same as in any domination gametype:

Sends the enemy either into disarray, typically all grouping up to capture the familiar point (snow/grass or east/west).

Or you can capture sides on CW and hold those down.

Or it gives you breather on mid/south if the enemy is facerolling you in dps
CyE GwAzI: The GwAzI Kamakazi Uzi
[GB]: VoX: Black Ops & Gears of War(2)
Level 50 Vindicator/Force Mystic/Scrapper
MLG Rank: 41581

Daxy
03.05.2013 , 11:30 AM | #12
there are some games- especially in nc - where the entire game is just a node rotation race
where one team is "stronger and zergier" but also "stupider" and backcapping nodes is the only way to victory

so let's say a team has south and east and the enemy is beginning their zerg to south
the next move is to backcap west as the zerg gets south
then the zerg either zergs east or west and then you can backcap south and so on

this isnt so much "going for the third/off node" and 3 capping as it is staying one step ahead of the zerg

as another poster stated- if you can 3 cap and keep them then the game was already won from the getgo
and harrassing the off node with a stealth (usually but not necessarily) is a fundamental way of drawing enemy strength off of the contested node so your team can capture it

Arlanon
03.05.2013 , 11:40 AM | #13
When the Civil War score is winding down and we have more than x2 points (say like 250 to 100), that means the enemy team must 3 cap to win.

I'll say in chat let's go visit them at the node they are all camping at. The ensuing battle usually takes up the rest of the match anyway. Sometimes we win, usually we don't, but it's all part of my plan to slowly make RETARD MODE ACTIVATE a normal part of all warzones, and not just the terribad ones.

It's insidious

Mookind
03.05.2013 , 11:52 AM | #14
IMO there is never really a time where a 3 cap is the "surest path to victory"

But sometimes the other team will be overwhelming or running around in a pack and the best choice is to try to turn their aggression against them. You see the enemy are trying to take snow, mid is clear. They sent 7 snow and left 1 grass. In that situation the move is obvious run at grass while your allies just throw themselves to save the cap. If you can tell your allies not to kill people just stop cap and stall that would be preferable but not biggy.

You know that they are going to take snow, you just need to get grass before they have a chance to organize. And if you did this properly you should be ******** on the solo defender of the off node as the enemy team clears out snow. By the time they manage to throw out cc's to stop the rezzers from interrupting, you have grass and the pattern repeats itself when they zerg the next node.

So the goal here really isn't to three cap, not for long anyway. Just to cap the 3rd node to relieve pressure on the one they want.

gtangtan
03.05.2013 , 12:02 PM | #15
When you are in NC, have west and south, and you count 7 attackers in south while west is calling 1 inc, you know their east is unguarded. I could help west, but even better scenarios is their attacker lose in 1v1 to our defender while I cap east. Some times you need to take a calculated risk.
Blading-Wind --- Leria --- Racing-rain---Beksers --- Cyanic-Scorch --- Crimson-Torch Asylum - The Harbinger
Blading-thunder --- Rulia --- Cloaked-Dagger

Philelectric
03.05.2013 , 01:18 PM | #16
I'm a deception assassin and if I know I can beat the defending forces on the 3rd node I'll go there. Its easier to win 1v2 and cap in Novare Coast because there is no direct spawn like the speeder in Ciwil war. If I 1v2 in civil war the 1rst dead will come back before I kill the other or 1 sec after I start to cap.

Also, if the 3rd node have been frequently attacked by some of my teamates I will not bother attacking the node because a) there is probably 2 defenders or b) the ennemy team will send back up quickly because they know we are going to attack it.

If the solo guard is a non stealth dps, I will attack the 3rd node 99% of the time. If its a tank I migh attack too because a) I will kill and cap or b) I will bait 1 or more ennemies and reduce the pressure on my team.

Also, in Civil war if you are the 2nd guy on your natural node and the 1rst one stay there and defend and nobody interupted your team and nobody interupter their side, as a deception assassin I go to their side and attack the node because a) a will cap it b) My team will have it easier to cap mid or c) My team is loosing mid but pulling out some ennemies will help my team to win mid.

In Novare Coast, just use you brain, I you can reach and cap the 3rd node before the ennemy cap south and come to the 3rd node to kill you, do it. But if the ennemy team dominate south and the solo guard is a tank or a stealth you wont win unless the solo guard is terrible (it happen 75% of the time lol).

And if you are the solo guard in Novare Coast and if you can see who's guarding on the ennemy side and feel confident, you can attack the 3rd node but I reccomend to spec dps and you have to be a stealth class obviously.
Because if the ennemy defender call:Hey nobody is guarding lets say West and the ennemy team send 1 or 2 there your team will hate you.

Attacking the ennemy node when you are the solo guard if like flipping a coin. You cann succed and carry your team to victory or loose and be the most hated guy on the server for the next 2 or 3 hours XD
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.

Banderal
03.05.2013 , 06:06 PM | #17
Well, I just lost a 50 NC game because 1/2 the team decided, every time we had 2 nodes, they needed to visit the third. No exaggeration. We had 7 shadows and a commando. I don't know if all the other shadows were just so used to the mentality of "have to go try to ninja node" or what. But EVERY SINGLE G>D> time we got the second node, they'd all run away from it and go after the one we didn't have. Almost lost a second (sub-50) when a couple guys decided to try the same thing (with us losing south as they tried for east in NC - but we got that one back, and I guess they learned their lesson because they didn't try that again the rest of the match). It's a good thing I don't rage in WZs or I'm sure my blood pressure would be through the roof by now.

So, despite many of your well reasoned arguments, I'm still leaning towards the, "WFT are you doing!? Get back to defend what we already have you idiots" reaction. But thanks for the posts. They'll give me something to think about after I calm down from those two WZ's a bit.

DroidDreamer
03.05.2013 , 07:02 PM | #18
Cap two, keep two. It ain't hard. Except for very rare occasions/circumstances, trading nodes is FTL, especially if you give up one of the side nodes on Alderaan so you can get mid. Likewise, giving up south so you can twiddle around on the far away node on NC is FTL.

Cap two, keep two. I know you want kills. The kills will come to you, Little Timmy, at your node.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

justdrop
03.05.2013 , 07:13 PM | #19
If the team has an advantage with strength, your advantage is with numbers. An organized group of 3 can take the 1 or 2 they have defending their node and keep it longer (ie. while the main force is attempting to take yours) than it would take that force to secure your node and then assault theirs again. Each team is different and not all teams will allow you to do this, but it can work to your benefit if done properly.
I heal, I tank. I want to stop but I can't.

Caeliux
03.05.2013 , 07:17 PM | #20
Yea the whole leaving a node un-defended and going Braveheart makes me rage to no end, all I try to do is communicate and hope people listen before the game is too far.