Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

i love the prequels as much as the originals

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
i love the prequels as much as the originals

ravenarchie
03.05.2013 , 05:04 AM | #1
i just dont find there was anything wrong with the prequels accept for the CGI but let me say something that is the latest technology they use for movies these days it is no surprise so i still love attack of the clones what wrong with that it just shows a all out war the beginning of the clone wars i enjoyed ep 1 story, the story is almost like a queen coming to save her home planet from the trade federation what wrong with that and btw star wars are full of funny chars like jar jar and the ewoks from episode 6 well to me george shown me that not so smart characters can win a battle and even cowards like the gungans risks their lives as decoys to help padme save naboo i enjoyed the prequels as much as the originals the acting may not be perfect but i still didnt find anything wrong i love the originals too but the stories in the prequels are before the originals if george made the prequels first and the originals during the 90s u people would complain about them too

LadyKulvax
03.05.2013 , 05:55 AM | #2
Because this hasn't been talked about a million times on this site alone, why not go post in slowpokeking's reviews?
"The Empire is war made manifest. That is why it is perfect."
Imperial Order

Doctoglethorpe
03.05.2013 , 07:36 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ravenarchie View Post
if george made the prequels first and the originals during the 90s u people would complain about them too
Yeah if they were poorly done too.

Its not the story I dislike about the PT. In fact I actually prefer it in that its far more political. What I dislike about it simply the quality of the acting and cinematography within the movies that ruins what should of been spectacular. Theres no way around it, George is not a good director anymore. That's why I prefer the novelizations. RotS is my least favorite movie while simultaneously my favorite book of the six. Thats all I really need to say to explain my feelings right there. Story good, film bad.

Dirtnose
03.05.2013 , 07:40 AM | #4
I agree with you OP, I like all the prequels a lot. I guess we're just in the minority. I think a lot of people like to jump on the hate prequel bandwagon.

AlexDougherty
03.05.2013 , 11:14 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtnose View Post
I agree with you OP, I like all the prequels a lot. I guess we're just in the minority. I think a lot of people like to jump on the hate prequel bandwagon.
Yes I'm afraid you are, the original trilogy had poor graphics, but a decent plot, the prequel trilogy is the exact opposite, good graphics but a poor plot.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Slowpokeking
03.05.2013 , 12:02 PM | #6
PT has a better overall theme and story, but Lucas weren't able to tell the story well enough in the movies, espeically EP I and EP II.

Wolventhorne
03.05.2013 , 12:59 PM | #7
I don't hate the prequels, and to a stong degree I will say I enjoyed them considerably. From a critic standpoint, I saw many aspects that could have been made better with a bit more forethought and storyline charting to protect continuity. There were enough glaring plotholes to cause the plausibility of the original trilogy to fall to pieces. Also, keep in mind that the new trilogy was all George, where as the original trilogy passed the torch between three distinct directors. I feel this kept the story fresh and the approaches just subtly unique enough to keep them distinct and fascinating.

I won't bother with pointing out WHAT parts of the story diminished the series, since this forum is saturated with those threads. I just feel that with better planning on the writers and directors part, they could have created an unparralleled masterpiece, and they simply got lazy and didn't.

Beniboybling
03.05.2013 , 01:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtnose View Post
Agreed, I mean I'm not sure even the CGI can be complained about. I mean wasn't Coruscant stunning? And can't you say the same for Naboo, Mustafar, Utapau, Kamino, Geonosis? And that's without mentioning the ships, aliens, weapons, armour...

I think the problem is a lot of people take too much of Star Wars for granted. The Original Trilogy was such a big hit because it was new and exciting, with incredibly imaginative concepts and amazing visuals. But now we just take all that for granted, completely ignoring all the amazing new concepts that the Prequels brought to the universe - the Rule of Two, clone and droid armies, warships and dreadnoughts, a galactic senate, the Geonosian Arena, the origins of the Death Star, the Jedi Temple - instead they just complain about bad acting, poor love stories etc. etc. But is that what Star Wars is really about? For me Star Wars is a concept, its much much more than just a movie.

Doctoglethorpe
03.05.2013 , 06:24 PM | #9
You're missing the point. Good graphics and concepts don't make the PT good. The reason people hate it is the quality of the acting and cinematography. The movies come off as sterilized hollywood flicks, all flash no depth. The ideas that George TRIED to express are great, its the end product of his attempts to express them that failed. Meanwhile the OT didn't. You can ***** all you want about Ewoks and outdated visual effects but you can't knock the quality of the cinematography. When you needed to understand a characters feelings, they made you understand. You get whats going on in Lukes head. You get whats going on in Vader's head. The fight scenes were more then just popcorn munching flash bits, they contained real character growth. Look at the last fight scene, you really feel Luke's struggle with the dark side. You can't say the same about the PT. The characters come off shallow. The fight scenes are bland, all flash no character depth. You can fill in the depth with your own imagination but that doesn't mean the movie achieved its goal. THAT is why people don't like them. Not because they think the core story was bad. As I've said I actually prefer it. I love the politics of the PT. The novelization of Ep3 is my favorite book of the saga. I just hate the quality of the movies in expressing all that great stuff.

And this isn't just an issue with Star Wars. A lot of movies these days are sterilized, dumbed down to this basic form of intelligence insulting popcorn entertainment. I'm sure all you guys who love the PT also love other movies I can't stand. Like the new Marvel flicks or Transformers.

Damatese
03.05.2013 , 09:21 PM | #10
The PT was good but they had to use their "imagination" most of the time when they acted. I mean the majority of the set was green screen. Heck I saw a scene where OBi wan and Anakian was cutting at NOTHING but thin air. They had to just pretend they were cutting something (in this case battle droids) It why Liam Nelson has been scared of Green Screen acting ever since. There no feeling to it.

The original had to be shot on location and sets had to be build, the actors had a good sense where they were and how they should act. It help with their immersion. IN the PT I bet they felt a bit silly fighting a bunch of non existant characters.

However I still liked it and I think what they should have done was Episode 1 and a T.V series to bridge the game to Episode 2. Then the Clone wars series like now. Then finally finish it off with Episode 3.