GTN Buying Help...?

ScarecrowES

I've logged onto the GTN several different times in an attempt to shop for new or rare items that might be interesting... the problem? I can literally never find ANYTHING. Every time I do a search, nothing ever comes up. I've looked through every category several times on different occasions, but not a single item every shows up in the search results.

I know the system must be working, because I've sold quite a few things through the GTN... but I can not even find my own stuff when I search (I'm not sure it's even possible).

Am I doing something wrong here? Are you only allowed to shop at a certain level (I'm 17 I think)? Or is there some obscure option you're supposed to click? It's just really weird that I can never find something to buy, but other people can find mine.

Make sure you don't have any text in the window where you can type. I've had blank searches come up, only to discover I forgot to delete a previous search.

Make sure you don't have someone selected in the "useable by" pulldown.

Make sure you are searching at the right level. Crafting materials are useable at LVL 1, so if you have your search set for your level (i.e. 25-30), crafting materials won't come up.

Seems to work best if you type the exact name of the item that you're looking for. I've never had a failed search when I did that. Lot's of other searches, other than for exact name item, and I strike out everytime.

Try experimenting with items from your own inventory so you know the name is valid.

A few things I've noted... leaving the Name Block blank NEVER works for me. I have to type something. It doesn't matter how specific I am, otherwise. I can use exact levels, exact prices, exact user... even exact level of item... never works.

But if I type even 3 letters of the name of the thing, it will come up.

Think is... some times I want to look for specific things, sometimes I want to see what's available out there that I might want.

So if I end up having to always KNOW what I want... is there a list of stuff found in the game? Types of armor, for example.

It's possible that there just happen to not be any items in the categories or level ranges you're looking for, especially if you're looking for less than endgame gear.

Here is a search which is somewhat specific but which should return at least something. Open GTN, select "Item Modification," "Armoring," "Artifact," and set the level boxes to 50 and 50. Don't put anything in the text search box. You should see a list of all the endgame armorings (ranks 24-27) available for sale at the moment. If that doesn't work, try "Modification" or "Enhancement" as well.

You can also try "Cartel Market Items," "Packs," and you should see a lot of items listed.

If neither of those searches work, then you might be on a dead server where nobody is selling anything.

If one or the other works, then you know GTN is working, and it's just a matter of the specific stuff you want not being offered by anyone.

Edited by Heezdedjim

One additional thing I noticed... Over night, which I usually play... say 11pm-4am EST... I can perform a search and get nothing. Put some text in, and get something. But I had a bit of a schedule shift this week, so I'm up during the day, and now I instantly get up to hundreds of pages when I do the exact same search. I have no idea what's going on.

Now that I can find stuff on the GTN, though... what are some good things to focus on to make money? I assume end-game stuff is cluttered... or is it?

Make sure the "usable by" isn't selected either. I believe it is broken as I've never gotten any results when a "usable by" option is selected.

I noticed this too. While I was up during the day, and could get some results during normal searches, I had much better luck when I didn't input anything in this selection... and also rarity to "standard."