Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which tank is good at what?

RikuvonDrake
03.18.2013 , 05:09 PM | #41
Could someone link a post where Kitru looks at the positive and negative sides with each tank class and compare them, like in a list, not in a wall of text (even thought I like his/her/it's wall of text).

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse

RikuvonDrake
03.19.2013 , 06:36 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurugu View Post
Maybe you could give an example on how to 'abuse' Deflection, seeing as it is a 2 Minute CD still? Say for EC Kephess.
A nice moment to use Deflection is when you are kiting the lightning pillars on stormcaller/firebrand, then you will negate ALL damage and can just run around without any need of healing until it runs out. If you are not tank swapping you will not have it up for every such phase but it's a nice thing.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse

JowyBlight
07.02.2013 , 02:47 PM | #43
One feature for the VG Tank that really has not been mentioned in this thread is "Hold the Line" as it is a wonderful edition to my VG tanking arsenal. Popping it before a trash pull when i am about to use Mortar Volley to prevent a knockback interruption. Or using having to run a grenade quickly out of the way on Titan 6. It's great tool. However by far it greatest use in a boss fight is the final boss in Scum and Villain when he does his force "pull" aka throw you around like a little b****. I have tanked Dread Master Styrak so many times In SM and HM i've memorized his attack patterns and have timed my hold the lines perfectly i almost never suffer the pull anymore (except when he does his enrage at end oinly becuase the 5 secs runs out). But since he follows 2 basic patterns, once you figure out which one, which happens at the start of the fight anyhow, my vanguard always Main tanks this guy and always has the easiest time tanking compared to guardians and shadows in our guild.

AlrikFassbauer
07.05.2013 , 05:36 AM | #44
I read that Shadow Tanks are quite difficult to heal in Hard Mode.

Is this true ?
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.

Ocho-Quatro
07.05.2013 , 08:12 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by haksilence View Post
Shadows are currently the most survivable tank in the game, high levels of mitigation coupled with 250-300 HPS in self heals is considerable in nearly all the fights and makes shadows require the least healing of all the tanks.
I have to disagree. Shadows/Assassins take overall, the least amount of total damage, because of their defense and cooldowns they get hit less often, which equates to less damage taken overall through the course of a fight. However, when a shadow DOES get hit, he gets hit for MORE than when a Guardian or Vanguard gets hit, so the spike damage is a lot more, and therefore Shadows require more attentive healing than a Vanguard or Guardian. (Also, jump into a big trash mob sometime, and watch your Kinetic/Dark Charges get used up before the ability to reapply comes off cooldown.... oh boy, it hurts!)

...on the downside shadows require a bit more experience to heal in order to anticipate their spiking.
That statement (is correct) and kind of disproves everything you said immediately before it.

guardians have a large number of powerful cooldowns at their disposaland when they are played correctly are *arguably* the best tanks, the guardian is the second most survivable tanking AC. Guardians are also *arguably* the most difficult to play properly and require alot of skillto use efficiently.
I'd agree with most of that, except I think, right now, Guardians are the most survivable tank. They have a ton of cooldowns, heavy armor mitigation, and none of the spiky problems that Shadows have.

vanguards are the smoothest tanks in terms of spikyness, but are the least survivable. they are by far the easiest tank to use effectively.
Having both a Vanguard and Assassin tank... in about the same level of gear (mix of 69s/72s, stat'd for mitigation over endurance).... I would say their survivability is about the same quite honestly, but the Vanguard is easier to heal because there are no surprises with spike damage.

In 2.0 shadows become even more survivable, vanguards become must more usefull in active mitigation, and guardians seem to be lagging behind.
Actually, with 2.0...... Shadows became LESS survivable, and Guardians became arguably the FoTM tank.

So my personal preference is a shadow, but there is no clear best tank all tanks are good at everything and id have to say tanking is probably the most balanced thing in this game
The key word up there is "personal preference"..... This game is a GAME, and games are about having fun. So to the OP, I would spend less time worrying about which tank is the "best" and spend more time trying to figure out what about each of the 3 tank classes has the most that appeals to YOU. The more you enjoy playing the character, the better you will be at it, and the more fun you will have.
<Fortitude> / <Republic Gentlemen>
Apos'trophe - Sage - Apostrophé - Scoundrel - Parentheses - Shadow - Period - Vanguard
Quotation - Sentinel - Proper - Guardian - Period - Commando
Ellipsis - Juggernaut - Asterisk - Mercenary
Period - Operative - Backslash - Assassin
<Häagen-Dazs> / <Ben & Jerry's>
Daiquirí - Scoundrel - Ileítís - Operative
The Punctuation Legacy

Stormskimmer
07.05.2013 , 09:03 AM | #46
Erm... Ocho-Quatro, I'd just like to point out that the person you are quoting posted in March. As in, BEFORE 2.0 actually came out. So, they kind of didn't get to see the full view of how things changed. They didn't know that the operations were going to be balanced around large single hit spikes, which is the main problem with the shadow's RNG failings.

Ocho-Quatro
07.05.2013 , 09:05 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Stormskimmer View Post
Erm... Ocho-Quatro, I'd just like to point out that the person you are quoting posted in March. As in, BEFORE 2.0 actually came out. So, they kind of didn't get to see the full view of how things changed. They didn't know that the operations were going to be balanced around large single hit spikes, which is the main problem with the shadow's RNG failings.
Curse you thread rez!!!!!!

/derp
<Fortitude> / <Republic Gentlemen>
Apos'trophe - Sage - Apostrophé - Scoundrel - Parentheses - Shadow - Period - Vanguard
Quotation - Sentinel - Proper - Guardian - Period - Commando
Ellipsis - Juggernaut - Asterisk - Mercenary
Period - Operative - Backslash - Assassin
<Häagen-Dazs> / <Ben & Jerry's>
Daiquirí - Scoundrel - Ileítís - Operative
The Punctuation Legacy

Jeweledleah
07.05.2013 , 09:58 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post

Is this true ?
yes.

unless they are very VERY good at juggling cooldowns, then they are fine. but of all three tank archetypes, they are the ones that give me the biggest pause when I don't know them and just get them as a pug, because in personal experience, they are the hardest to play well, because of being so dependant on active cooldowns.

that said, skilled shadow is magical. I healed an assassin through 50 hardmode while leveling back when 2.0 just dropped and dude was in lvl 45 blues. I thought I was toast. and then he proceeded to be one of the best, easiest tanks outside of my guild that I've healed so far.

Delta_V
07.05.2013 , 10:16 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post

Is this true ?
Yes, they require a more skilled healer than the other tanks. To put it in simple terms, Vanguards/Guardians will constantly take a medium amount of damage, while Shadows will alternate between taking very little damage and taking *insane* amounts of damage. The total healing required might be similar, but the Vanguard/Guardian is more predictable, and thus easier to heal.

For Vanguards/Guardians, the healer basically goes "healing...healing...healing"

While for Shadows, it's more like "hey, I don't have to do anything... still don't have to do anything... HOLY **** HE JUST LOST 90% HEALTH IN 2 SECONDS"

ThreeLeggedCow
07.05.2013 , 10:44 PM | #50
I have pretty much given up on my shadow tank. Too unpredictable.

Hell i had a healer tell me the other day the combat sent who picked up threat after i karked it was easier to heal than me.

Fail.