Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Several sawbones questions - specific

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Several sawbones questions - specific

gonlaz
03.02.2013 , 02:04 PM | #1
Hello,

Long story short I have a few questions, I keep finding a mish mash of answers while doing my research and no real guide so I apologize in advance if this seems redundant but I feel like I have to break down and start a thread here asking.

Is there a definitive rotation of dps and healing that I can throw on my quick bars? If so what is it?
So far I can find a string of heals that I can use as a rotation but it leaves out all damage dealing abilities.

Am I just supposed to keep corso alive and not dps?

Do I cast EMP on myself or corso?

What i'm getting at is that as a healer, while I am out in the world questing on my own with a companion do I stay strictly heals or do I do both, so if both what is my rotation?

I have been a melee only in my years of gaming, except for here where I enjoy being a bounty hunter tank, he just walks around killing everything and taking no damage, good stuff! So I am a healer n00b but learn quick. I can't seem to find any real rotation info.

I do not do end game content, only level 35, and I do not do many flashpoints.

Thank you in advance

Sinapus
03.03.2013 , 08:37 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by gonlaz View Post
Hello,
s there a definitive rotation of dps and healing that I can throw on my quick bars? If so what is it?
So far I can find a string of heals that I can use as a rotation but it leaves out all damage dealing abilities.
I customized my quickslots. I have a double row at the bottom middle w/my main attack and healing abilities, plus a 9-slot box to the left and right with not-as-often used abilities. I'm a subscriber so I have those perks, I think f2p is limited to 1 bar only.

I tend to have my attack abilities on the slots mapped to the number keys. The bar changes when you go into cover so I took out the cover-only abilities for the part that happens when I'm out of cover. The healing abilities I use the mouse to click on, though they're close to the attack abilities.

Quote:
Depends on how much damage Corso is taking. He'll keep aggro on himself so keep him alive. If he's doing okay and you have plenty of energy, throw a sabotage charge/charged shot/vital shot/etc. or pick off one of the weaker enemies and then go back to keeping your tank alive.

Quote:
Corso. If you have time you can use it on yourself as well to heal any attacks that hit you.

Same thing applies to Bowdaar. They have stances and abilities that increase their threat an tend to keep aggro on them.
"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary

justdrop
03.05.2013 , 01:51 PM | #3
Two stacks of hot on Corso, followed by the healing stream on engagement to regenerate energy. If Corso's health is low, use a medpak. If not, use some damaging abilities. When timer on the hot gets low, recast. By this time if his health wasn't low before it should be now. Medpak, maybe healing stream if you need to for energy regeneration.

At this point most enemies (unless hard) are dead. Clean up however you want. That's been my rotation (although I use Bowdaar now) and it's always worked. Slow, but efficient and you can keep going after almost every pull.

ButteredSoul
03.05.2013 , 06:20 PM | #4
Hi! Like you I was a melee dps for the most part and a healer noob. In fact, my main was a rogue in WoW, so I gravitated to Scoundrel for my main here in SWTOR. I'm leveling as sawbones too, and I'm currently 48. I've got some thoughts for you.

Quote:
Is there a definitive rotation of dps and healing that I can throw on my quick bars?
Nope.

I like to think in terms of priorities. Here is what I have keybound on my quickbars:

Energy:
Pugnacity - #1 priority. Always hit this when it's available.

Healing:
Slow-Release-Medpac - I roll this on my tank pet on tough 1-on-1 battles. Always renew before it drops.
Emergency Medpac - I use this when I have 2+stacks of Upper Hand and I want to use Underworld Medicine.
Triage - if my pet or I need to be cleansed.
Underwold Medicine - I use this when my pet or I need it.
Kolto Cloud - I don't use this when I'm soloing. I use it in group missions sometimes, though.
Diagnostic Scan - if I need to heal and build energy.
NOTE: Kolto Pack - I don't really use this ever. Even though it heals for less, I use EM if I'm going to consume an UH stack.
Medpac - always the highest your level will allow in your inventory and in a quickslot.

DPS:
Vital Shot - Keep this rolling on my target
Blaster Whip - Keep those UH stacks up!
Back Blast - make sure you're standing behind your target. You're doing this anyway to avoid cone AoEs, right?
Quick Shot - if BW and BB are on CD and I need to dump energy.
Flurry of Bolts - if I need to build energy.

AoE DPS:
XS Freighter Flyby - blow *#@& up.
Thermal Grenade - also works as a knock-down.
Blaster Volley - requires UH, so I almost never use it.

Utility:
Cool Head - you want to keep your energy 60+. If you start to drop, just burn through to around 10-20 and then pop this.
All In - extra self heal. More importantly, refreshes Cool Head. Don't use unless you're desperate for CH.
Distraction - use this whenever you're dpsing and you see the target castbar. It'll save you some major heals.
Dirty Kick - good for a short stun. I always use this on silvers and golds. I wait until the target is casting and my Distraction is on CD.
Flash Grenade - Nice to stun enemies. Great when they're far apart and you want to freeze out one section for a bit while you take down the other part.
Slice Droid - can be used in combat, so I love it.
Defense Screen | Dodge - I have these right next to each other on my bars. Great when you're taking damage.
Escape - self explanatory.
Surrender - if you're getting attacked and your companion isn't dead, try this.
Take Cover - nice way to run away from damage and also hide from PvPers.
Disappearing Act - if you're going to die, or you just don't want to fight the mobs you got too close to and aggro'd.
Stealth - of course
Tranquilizer - good to divide and conquer.

Quote:
No.

Do whatever needs to be done. Circumstances dictate.

Quote:
Cast it on whoever needs it, of course.

A note on SRM: If I'm sending my tank into a group, I'll let him grab aggro without the HoTs, then heal him. Otherwise you might get lots of attention from some of the group for your heal aggro. If I'm sending him one-on-one against a silver, gold, or elite, I'll get 2 stacks rolling on him first.

Quote:
What i'm getting at is that as a healer, while I am out in the world questing on my own with a companion do I stay strictly heals or do I do both, so if both what is my rotation?
The priorities are:
1) Make sure you're getting stacks of Upper Hand.
2) Use Pugnacity on CD
3) If you're dying, heal yourself.
4) If your pet is dying, heal him/her.
5) If the incoming dps isn't too bad, dps something.

Quote:
Thank you in advance
You're welcome!

TigoBeratix
03.05.2013 , 09:05 PM | #5
I like and agree with Butter

Every situation is different

Stealth in and put somebody to sleep if needed

There are tons of clips on you tube of some great sawbones - trying to copy their approach to different situations helped me learn

Keep at it - flat out a blast to play if you like constant movement and lots of tools