Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

In 2.0 diminishing returns on Crit after 20% but smash still autocrits

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
In 2.0 diminishing returns on Crit after 20% but smash still autocrits

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
03.02.2013 , 12:51 PM | #1
So I was on the PTS today and critical chance really drops off after 20% now. I think it's fine, BUT smash still autocrits. I know a couple of other classes have some autocrit abilities, but nothing nearly as damaging as smash.

What do you think about this? I know smash got a small nerf in damage, but still most smashers have around 82% surge or more.

CaptianFordo's Avatar


CaptianFordo
03.02.2013 , 01:01 PM | #2
Well considering that in a warzone there's only two classes I ever see on the opposite teams...

marauder/sentinel or sage/sorcerer

I think it speaks for itself. I guess that's the only two classes that we should or can PVP with.
The Shadowlands
Thire(55) Haythom(55) Ortel'fez(55) A'din(55) Halusia(55)
<HoneyBadgers>

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
03.02.2013 , 01:05 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptianFordo View Post
Well considering that in a warzone there's only two classes I ever see on the opposite teams...

marauder/sentinel or sage/sorcerer

I think it speaks for itself. I guess that's the only two classes that we should or can PVP with.
Well on the server I play on many marauders keep pet healing operatives so they might still be useful.

Is PvP though actually thought of as the domain of Jedi by the developers? I hope not.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
03.02.2013 , 01:10 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptianFordo View Post
Well considering that in a warzone there's only two classes I ever see on the opposite teams...

marauder/sentinel or sage/sorcerer

I think it speaks for itself. I guess that's the only two classes that we should or can PVP with.
You mean to tell me the majority of players in a STAR WARS game are force user classes? *shocking*

Even before all the "OP" specs came about the majority of the population were playing force user classes. You should of expected that in a game called STAR WARS.

CaptianFordo's Avatar


CaptianFordo
03.02.2013 , 01:43 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
You mean to tell me the majority of players in a STAR WARS game are force user classes? *shocking*

Even before all the "OP" specs came about the majority of the population were playing force user classes. You should of expected that in a game called STAR WARS.
No, you clearly didn't get what I was hinting at.

I'm trying to explain that while people will pick the cheapest, most easy class to play that requires very little player imput to pump out massive damage. Doesn't matter the game, they always do this. But there is some basis to your claim, but you don't see hardly any snipers, gunslingers, etc. It's because those classes are indeed more complicated to play. And that's the problem. People want the easy hit and smash classes (pun intended).
The Shadowlands
Thire(55) Haythom(55) Ortel'fez(55) A'din(55) Halusia(55)
<HoneyBadgers>

Macroeconomics's Avatar


Macroeconomics
03.02.2013 , 01:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Even before all the "OP" specs came about the majority of the population were playing force user classes. You should of expected that in a game called STAR WARS.
Actually most of them didn't start out as force user classes. Initially there were a ton of Bounty Hunters and stealth Operatives. But very rapidly, especially after 1.2, those classes died out. Players surged into PT and Mara. With 1.6 all the old Sorcs came out of hiding as well. And with 2.0 you can bet on it being all Jugg, Mara, Inquisitor and some remaining Operative healers. Players migrate to the best classes. It's what they do.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
03.02.2013 , 02:43 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptianFordo View Post
No, you clearly didn't get what I was hinting at.

I'm trying to explain that while people will pick the cheapest, most easy class to play that requires very little player imput to pump out massive damage. Doesn't matter the game, they always do this. But there is some basis to your claim, but you don't see hardly any snipers, gunslingers, etc. It's because those classes are indeed more complicated to play. And that's the problem. People want the easy hit and smash classes (pun intended).
There is nothing complicated about playing a sniper...There is nothing complicated about ANY of the classes. I'd say you don't see very many snipers because the class itself is extremely boring, especially if you play marksmen. Your rotation is literally 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3. It's so braindead and it will be even more brain dead in 2.0.

Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Actually most of them didn't start out as force user classes. Initially there were a ton of Bounty Hunters and stealth Operatives. But very rapidly, especially after 1.2, those classes died out. Players surged into PT and Mara. With 1.6 all the old Sorcs came out of hiding as well. And with 2.0 you can bet on it being all Jugg, Mara, Inquisitor and some remaining Operative healers. Players migrate to the best classes. It's what they do.
Really, cuz I have a very clear memory of practically every warzone being completely full of nothing but sorcerers and sages with a few knights/bounty hunters here and there. The majority of the time I'd load into the warzone and I was pretty much the only sentinel in the warzone.

It's a star wars game, most of the populace is going to be force users, regardless of how strong or weak they are. Get over it.

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
03.02.2013 , 02:47 PM | #8
I do think if another non-force using class was the best, players would play it. MMO players are notorious for picking the path of least resistance. Besides characters like Han Solo/Boba Fett are as popular as Luke and Vader really.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
03.02.2013 , 04:42 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
I do think if another non-force using class was the best, players would play it. MMO players are notorious for picking the path of least resistance. Besides characters like Han Solo/Boba Fett are as popular as Luke and Vader really.
Aside from bubble stun, sorc is a pretty weak class and there is still more of them out there than most other classes. So your theory is incorrect. Snipers are pretty much face roll and will be even more face roll in 2.0 and PT pyro's will burn you down faster than any smasher would and yet those classes are still outnumbered by force users, so again, your theory goes out the window. Simple fact here people, it's star wars, no matter what happens, the majority of classes you are going to see WILL be holding a lightsaber.

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
03.02.2013 , 04:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Aside from bubble stun, sorc is a pretty weak class and there is still more of them out there than most other classes. So your theory is incorrect. Snipers are pretty much face roll and will be even more face roll in 2.0 and PT pyro's will burn you down faster than any smasher would and yet those classes are still outnumbered by force users, so again, your theory goes out the window. Simple fact here people, it's star wars, no matter what happens, the majority of classes you are going to see WILL be holding a lightsaber.
This, sorc has always been popular because of lore and abilties. It's the reason to why 75 % (I'm making up my own stats as I go) were playing sorc at launch. This was back when sorcs actually were good but unlike the fotmers of today the sorcs back then werent actually fotmers, they were simply playing their favorite class and it happened to be ok at the time. I guess bE-Aware got fed up with having 12 sorcs in every warzone so they decided to nerf the procs and bring down sorcs to what they believed was a reasonable level. Now it wasnt that good anymore and the true fotmers, who has been hiding in the sorc population up until now, decided to play other AC'es. A lot of peopl left the game, seemingly in protest for what they had done to their fav AC, but a lot of people also decided to hang in there . ....there was always healing.

Sorc is kind of like the sniper role in shooters. It's something a lot of people will play despite that it's not always the best choice.