Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper question

TeH-DeVa
03.01.2013 , 10:48 AM | #1
So last night I was doing SM Denova with my guild mates for the first time since I've become active again.

We were doing zorn and toth and me and a sniper were standing 30m away just DPSing - we were all mumble and a red circle comes down and the sniper gets up and runs away. So I said "why don't you just entrench that?" and he's like "Why?" I go well entrench has that AOE thing that was designed so snipers wouldn't have to get up and move and lose damage since they are staionary.

So the next red circle happens and he entrenches and gets hit and goes straight from 100% to 5% instantly.

Now I will say he may have been undergeared (i don't know to be honest) but I know he did use entrench and he is marksman...so I just wanted to know.

If entrench does not deflect the damage from these attacks why does it exist? i was under the impression the point of that was since marksman can't move and do damage at all that you would be able to just eat boss aoes and survive...but since he was at 100% and goes to 5% in a SM denova it just seems that the ability is useless.

Comments?
The BellHat Legacy
Forever rocking the Bell Hat!
Beleka! The tiny but legendary Chiss Merc Arsenal of the Jung Ma Server
-The Legendary Bounty Hunter 'Deva' Path of the Starsider and Bria server in SWG-

DakoHawk
03.01.2013 , 11:02 AM | #2
What spec was he?

Daxy
03.01.2013 , 11:16 AM | #3
entrench has nothing to do with damage reduction-- it just keeps you from being knocked out of position

marksman has hunkerdown which mitigates some damage (i only use it in pvp to blunt the monkey smash) but one of the holy grail pieces of wisdom in pve is -- "see that red targeting area being planted at your feet?-- well, better **** of it..."

TeH-DeVa
03.01.2013 , 11:28 AM | #4
It's called siege bunker in in the marksman tree - it reduces ALL aoe damage by 60% while entrench is active
The BellHat Legacy
-The Legendary Bounty Hunter 'Deva' Path of the Starsider and Bria server in SWG-

TeH-DeVa
03.01.2013 , 11:31 AM | #5
The idea is that if a sniper moves for a red circle as a marksman his damage is GONE - siege bunker was "suppose" to fix that...but it doesn't it seems s:
The BellHat Legacy

Pubsam
03.01.2013 , 11:43 AM | #6
He was probably not specced for Entrench to reduce AoE damage. Even if he was, not ALL of the damage would have been mitigated and he still would have lost a chunk of health. Unless the healer is really bored and asking for people to take damage or something, he should just move regardless of spec.
Time for a nap.

GalaxyStrong
03.01.2013 , 01:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by pubsam View Post
he was probably not specced for entrench to reduce aoe damage. Even if he was, not all of the damage would have been mitigated and he still would have lost a chunk of health. Unless the healer is really bored and asking for people to take damage or something, he should just move regardless of spec.
this, big time!!!!
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

Eternalnight
03.01.2013 , 05:36 PM | #8
One can be even full marksman spec, without having spent any points to this talent.

And even if they had it, just sitting on one spot with entrench would still be a bad idea, as it only reduces the damage by 60%, and there's a good chance that the same player gets circle under them 2 or 3 times.
And most importantly, your healers will not be healing very much during that phase since they need to be running away from circles too.

Athena-Nike
03.01.2013 , 06:56 PM | #9
My slinger can keep decent dps during the circle phase by running, just drop vital shot (dot) and shoot on the run crouching when i can to pop of instant CB's (or snipes for the sniper) and followthroughs. Sure my dps dips but my healers can focus on tanks/others and thats a huge overall win for the team

Also the point in the fight where I pop my DC's (as its really the only time I take damage anyway) and med packs

Khevar
03.01.2013 , 08:38 PM | #10
Interesting, I've never tried to use CDs to survive ground shatter.

I just keep moving and use all my instant-cast damaging abilities.

Seems the simplest approach. That phase doesn't last very long, if you're hitting enrage there are likely other ways you can bring the overall dps of your group up that doesn't involve standing still at 60/20.