Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tracer Missile animation change.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Tracer Missile animation change.

Kaedusz
02.28.2013 , 06:16 PM | #1
Ok so i finally started a mercenary after playing a powertech for a long time because i want some change from retractable blade and flametrowers to rockets and i am feeling bitter and angry(like you wouldn't imagine) because of what some cry babies did to the class and the developers showed lack of wisdom in granting their wish.

The rocket that launches from your back is so cool and awesome,not to mention badas$.Even the sound effect is much more awesome.And ... christ ... they changed it to the tiny,pathetic and boring looking wrist launch with unnoticeable sound.I find myself using the present day Fussion Missile every chance i get,even if it heats me up, because of the animation.And i loathe the present day tracer missile animation.I am sure many mercenaries regret this animation NERF and i am not alone with these feelings.For God's sake it is a Missile Blast with a casting time.

I would even go as far as saying that i started a mercenary specifically so i can launch missiles from my back,like i saw many mercenaries did in youtube movies(while i was researching the class),in game, and Jango Fett in episode 2.Tracer missile launched from your back was supposed to be the mercenary signature move.
That is what makes the mercenary different from the powertech in immersion/feeling context .....and they reduced one of the coolest looking abilities in the game to a fairly unimportant aoe with a 30 sec cooldown. !? I feel so badly cheated and sc*ewed by the vocal forum minority that forced this change.

i looked up the issue and i found out that some time ago there were threads in this forum about swapping the tracer missile and fussion missile animation to its present day animation.There were whines about being too vissible, and other such nonsense.Others said that the bh looked like he was crapping his pants while casting tracer missile.How can someone even produce such absolute crap of a thought and post it on the forum,on top of that the developer listen to them and act on their prattle.*facepalm* I mean seriously?!? ...
I lack words to describe this joke of a situation,without breaking some forum rule.

Why the hell did the developers do this?Don't they know that usually most people that liked the old tracer missle were not posting on the forums and whining like some babies.they were actually playing the game.I have asked many mercenaries in game and most of them told me that they regret the change ,others don't care,and those that like it are very few.
Again-the people that wanted fussion missile and tracer missile animation swap were a vocal minority on the forums.

I would very much like the developers to reverse this change or at least give us some kind of an option/tool to choose what animation we want to use.The current fusion missile animation and sound is what tracer missile is supposed to be like ,as it was the developer's original intention.

Reverse the animation swap or give us some kind of an option/interface tool to choose what animation we want for our tracer missile..I sincerely hope this issue will be looked at.Thank you.

Choffware
03.01.2013 , 08:22 AM | #2
omg just stop... Sick of these posts. The animation was changed because it was impractical for a key item in a dps rotation to have such an obvious animation in pvp. It puts mercs at a greater disadvantage than they already are. Plus there was speculation the animation was also adding too much time to tracer missile cast time and effecting dps in pve also. So in other words there was a technical practical reason for it.

You find yourself using fusion missile off cool down so you can see the animation? seriously dude just go away...
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

Kaedusz
03.01.2013 , 09:10 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Choffware View Post
The animation was changed because it was impractical for a key item in a dps rotation to have such an obvious animation in pvp.
How can you seriously say this and mean it .This is so surreal and anticlimactic for me.Can't belive developers listen to people like this guy.I am censoring myself with great effort here.

Don't know about you but the second someone uses an ability i know where he is and what class he is.
Commando's and mercenaries are focused because if left alone they will do some serious damage and are easy to lock down,not because ''omg look at the pretty rocket,keeeeel iiit''

Plus there was speculation the animation was also adding too much time to tracer missile cast time and effecting dps in pve also.
/facepalm

Choffware
03.01.2013 , 10:46 AM | #4
Mercs suffer form being too easily interrupted so they made it a little tougher to spot. It's one small piece to an ongoing solution. It's practical. You went on a seven paragraph tirade about a slight quality of life change they made. They didn't even remove the animation... they put it where it makes more sense for GAME MECHANICS. It's like you are arguing that the sky isn't blue enough.

SuperGrunt
03.01.2013 , 10:49 AM | #5
omg just stop... Sick of these posts. The animation was changed because it was impractical for a key item in a dps rotation to have such an obvious animation in pvp. It puts mercs at a greater disadvantage than they already are. Plus there was speculation the animation was also adding too much time to tracer missile cast time and effecting dps in pve also. So in other words there was a technical practical reason for it.

You find yourself using fusion missile off cool down so you can see the animation? seriously dude just go away...
You know you could try being less rude when you post.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

Choffware
03.01.2013 , 12:15 PM | #6
You are right... I try not to be... but I lost it... one too many of these kinds of posts. I have to stop reading when I feel the blood pressure rising.

Galbatorrix
03.01.2013 , 01:30 PM | #7
Honestly, it simply makes way more sense this way. The new animation has a laser that locks onto the target and then fires the "tracer" missile (ie tracing the laser's path). Plus, when casting it 2 or 3 times in a row, it looks very natural. On the other hand, the back rocket looks like it would be a big explosive AOE type animation. So, again, it makes much more sense that this large back launched missile is a CD AOE type move. It just doesn't look right being fired 2 or 3 times in succession. The only thing about the change that upset me was the fire animation. Fusion missile used to have the same "blazing fire on the enemies" type animation that the Commando counter part still has. When they swapped the launch animations, they neglected to add the old Fusion Missile blaze animation (it was a lot large and more devastating looking than it is now) to the end.

Again, this way simply makes much more sense. They seemed to be backward from the very beginning. Which isn't the only thing Bioware got backward. I mean, our large-slow heal is called "rapid scan" and our smaller-fast heal is called "healing scan". Hmm.....

Kaedusz
03.01.2013 , 02:41 PM | #8
How does a missile blast(for those that are new-its the most basic bounty hunter ability that you get at level 1) with a casting time makes sense to be bread and butter for a spec.It just screams boring and lame.
Now there isn't much difference between powertech and mercenary.-not talking from gameplay pov.
I might as well stand in range and spam missile blast with my powertech and imagine i am playing mercenary.srsly

Missile launched from your back with the added badas$ sound effect is much more different and unique than the other mercenary abilities.
The old tracer missile deserves to be a 10 skill/talent point,instead we get as said above ,missile blast with casting time.-oh with the added red pointer for the tracer effect and lame almost non existant sound effect.

Now the only interesting ability from Arsenal is heatseaking missiles.

Its' like i am playing a warrior and all my abilities have the animation of auto atack- this is the situation i am talking about here.
Doesn't make sense a major talent/skill point to be so bland.

Galbatorrix
03.01.2013 , 03:07 PM | #9
Don't get me wrong, I love the old animation and I'm glad I can still use it. But, spamming it was... well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd3EeqfJdVs

malispar
03.01.2013 , 05:03 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
Ok so i finally started a mercenary after playing a powertech for a long time because i want some change from retractable blade and flametrowers to rockets and i am feeling bitter and angry(like you wouldn't imagine) because of what some cry babies did to the class and the developers showed lack of wisdom in granting their wish.
You play advanced prototype? This is already a bad sign.

Sounds more like you're the crybaby who couldn't see bad design when it smacked him in the face. I didn't realize SWTOR forums was your personal blog, where "things you don't like" are important. Instead of real issues like how Mercenaries are going to be bottom rung DPS in 2.0.

But hey, cry on. I know this post won't stop you.