Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it possible that the recent patch actually *fixed* the memory leak?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it possible that the recent patch actually *fixed* the memory leak?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarkDisturbed
02.28.2013 , 11:43 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
What is this "extreme control over system resources" of which you speak?

I was under the impression that Win8 was a mega hog of resources with all the useless features that are tablet/phone friendly but not PC friendly...

Educate me.
So much misinformation. Win 8 is the fastest Windows ever. It boots in 5 seconds for me, and you can completely disable/hide the metro menu. Mine looks just like Win7 but its twice as fast with startup.

aeterno
03.01.2013 , 01:47 AM | #22
Ah yes boot up times. Mui mui importante.

Cos when you're about to waste 4 hours of your life playing video games you wanna make damn sure you shave off those 10 seconds at startup. We ain't getting any younger after all.

Uber_the_Goober
03.01.2013 , 05:33 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDisturbed View Post
So much misinformation. Win 8 is the fastest Windows ever. It boots in 5 seconds for me, and you can completely disable/hide the metro menu. Mine looks just like Win7 but its twice as fast with startup.
Is this with a SSD?

Darkwords
03.01.2013 , 07:14 AM | #24
Still the major issue for me. If I make 3 planet changes or toon hop 4-5 times...boom and c2d. I can play 3-4 hours straight in a couple OP without a crash but I have to have a fresh game start to make sure. Memory leak since 1.4 and before that...no issues with game stability. My friends in other areas play and have the exact same issues so it is not the ISP...it's Biofail.

Burtlebe
03.01.2013 , 09:07 AM | #25
Is this with a SSD?
I am using a SSD on mine but the boot times are minor really. The thing I am more impressed with is the speed of the operating system and the control. With win 7 and vista after 4 hours the game would have 6 gb of memory used. With 8 it changes but most of the time never shows more than a gb used. The metro UI is a pain but after a month or so I have gotten use to it and actually use it. The operating system is able to support a larger array of programs all running at the same time. I am using the 64bit version.
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

tacito
03.01.2013 , 09:48 AM | #26
Win8 has increased my performance so that I can now use Shadows on high instead of turning them off *shrug*

Your mileage may wary, but a lot of people just hear "tiles, tiles everywhere, crap for everything that has no touchscreen" without taking more than 30 seconds (if that) to check it out themselves. I like it. Sure, I'm part of a minority on that, but I like it.

And as for "terrible resource hog", it's more responsive than windows 7 (for me) and uses a little under 750 MB of RAM when idle and no programs other than nVidia control panel and some sound thingie run. In a world where 8 GB of DDR3 ram start at about 30 bucks, that's... perfectly okay in my book. Sure, if you open swtor and matlab, running advanced signal analysis with 6 GB files in the latter, those 750 MB may become too much, but then again... just don't do that?

I won't even go into hard disk usage, because that's a complete non-issue with the drives available, and no significant changes to win7, anyway.

TheSeventhJedi
03.01.2013 , 10:20 AM | #27
I still have an insane memory leak.

Of course, I'm building a new PC with QUADRUPLE the RAM! Mwahahaha! Just try to stop me, memory leak!
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

MiaRB
03.01.2013 , 12:38 PM | #28
What is this "extreme control over system resources" of which you speak?

I was under the impression that Win8 was a mega hog of resources with all the useless features that are tablet/phone friendly but not PC friendly...

Educate me.
if you take the time to educate yourself, you will learn that alot of the negative rumors about win 8 and gaming were started by the guy who owns steam and by people at blizzard. there are many articles debunking all their "win 8 is bad for gaming" garbage. what steam and blizzard are really upset about is the microsoft store and MS getting into digital distribution of PC games. so they spread lies about the win OS. win 8 is great for gaming and overall performs better than all other versions of windows. has been tested side by side vs win 7 and vista for how they perform with many of the most popular games out by a number of sites.
can't wait for this game to come out!

tzagheru
03.01.2013 , 03:00 PM | #29
LMFAO quick quick someone call the lost subscribers, SWTOR MEMORY LEAK IS IN PROGRESS ))

Uber_the_Goober
03.02.2013 , 01:43 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
if you take the time to educate yourself,

<snip>
Nah, the fine ppl in this here thread have done that for me already