Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it possible that the recent patch actually *fixed* the memory leak?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it possible that the recent patch actually *fixed* the memory leak?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

old_benn
02.28.2013 , 01:49 AM | #1
Bear in mind, I've only got a sample size of 1. So I'm probably wrong about this. But I just played for over 2 hours and logged in and out of several toons, and played for an extended time on Corellia. Usually, I'm lucky to get an hour and a half without getting a CTD. And if I switch toons repeatedly? Forget it, I CTD in 30-45 minutes. Corellia is a memory hog, and usually makes things worse too.

So doing all those things together, and never CTD? My jaw hit the floor.

Did I just get lucky? Or did the recent patch actually help the memory leak situation?
Jal-en 55 Guardian Kal-en 55 Gunslinger
Payd'n 55 Operative Boe'ba'fet 55 Powertech
Cr'sh'r 55 Marauder Kym'br'li 55 Sage
Aay'den 55 Commando Dom'n'ninz 55 Sorceror

quantumsheep
02.28.2013 , 02:35 AM | #2
I think you just got lucky. Or I am very *un*lucky.

I still ctd a lot. I can go about 3, maybe 4 warzones and then I'll crash.

Logging in and out of characters hastens the crash still.

So no fix my end, and it's been like this since 1.4 - I dearly wish they'd do something about it!

QS
The Progenitor
Hicks /Soir/Quantumsheep/Gradius/Huddson/Galaga
What I DO

Zjabin
02.28.2013 , 03:45 AM | #3
Yeah, I was really surprised to find myself playing peacefully 3 hours without CTDs! Switching toons, travelling between planets, all that and... no crashes?..

DarkDajin
02.28.2013 , 06:20 AM | #4
A part of the CTD seems to have been solved, however I seem to be getting more server disconnects and THEN CTD, instead of straight CTD

old_benn
02.28.2013 , 02:42 PM | #5
Well, a couple of replies with somewhat positive experiences. One reply with a continued negative experience. Anybody else want to weigh in?
Jal-en 55 Guardian Kal-en 55 Gunslinger
Payd'n 55 Operative Boe'ba'fet 55 Powertech
Cr'sh'r 55 Marauder Kym'br'li 55 Sage
Aay'den 55 Commando Dom'n'ninz 55 Sorceror

Vandicus
02.28.2013 , 02:44 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDajin View Post
A part of the CTD seems to have been solved, however I seem to be getting more server disconnects and THEN CTD, instead of straight CTD
Well a server disconnect is most likely a result of something wrong with your isp, or the server itself(the latter of which can easily be checked if lots of people are disconnecting on the server). A server disconnect then CTD is very likely independent of the CTD these people have experienced.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

ZionHalcyon
02.28.2013 , 02:50 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Well a server disconnect is most likely a result of something wrong with your isp, or the server itself(the latter of which can easily be checked if lots of people are disconnecting on the server). A server disconnect then CTD is very likely independent of the CTD these people have experienced.
Unfortunately not so.

Ever since the server merges, I still frequently get server disconnects and sometimes CTD after.

Happening to one person you can make your argument. But its happening to too many people for it to be independent and something wrong on the user end.
BobVader - We will always remember.
Remain civil in the face of incivility, lest you be the barbarian.

Vandicus
02.28.2013 , 02:52 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Unfortunately not so.

Ever since the server merges, I still frequently get server disconnects and sometimes CTD after.

Happening to one person you can make your argument. But its happening to too many people for it to be independent and something wrong on the user end.
I'm not quite sure how your statement makes a server disconnect any more likely to be a result of a memory leak.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

ZionHalcyon
02.28.2013 , 02:55 PM | #9
No one said it was directly because of the memory leak - the flow of conversation just took us in the direction of server disconnects
BobVader - We will always remember.
Remain civil in the face of incivility, lest you be the barbarian.

Vandicus
02.28.2013 , 02:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
No one said it was directly because of the memory leak - the flow of conversation just took us in the direction of server disconnects
My statements are intended to indicate that the CTDs being experienced by that poster are likely a different problem than the ones experienced by the other posters(which is exactly how I used the word independent in my post). A common problem on these forums is that similar symptoms are often lobbed together, making it more difficult to discern a root cause.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!