Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nothing much changes in 3000 years?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Nothing much changes in 3000 years?

StratisX
12.20.2011 , 04:22 PM | #21
The republic has been around for 17,000+ years at this point, at some point civilizations stop progressing once they reach their peak. Now that the empire is back, things will start to change as the game progresses I would imagine because war always induces technological advances and such. Good point though.
The Force shall free me

LizardSF
12.20.2011 , 07:19 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Entropicana View Post
Checking that out, I think Planet Of Copyhats is what I was looking for. Character of species X shows up in the movies, when species X is further detailed, they're all like that character.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

ozirizo
12.21.2011 , 02:39 PM | #23
Well, I'd like to point out that the biggest technologic improvement I've seen on the SW is Luke's hand.

His father had a mechanical one, while he had a human looking one. And he could actually feel with it.
Clio Martell / Jedi Sage / Eros Martell / Commando / Ahto City

opak
12.21.2011 , 02:44 PM | #24
All of this has happened before and will happen again...oh wait wrong story...sorry!
Vanguard of Norrath
Come be part of a 10 year legacy

bloodygustav
12.21.2011 , 02:48 PM | #25
two words: technological plateau

They got to such a point where the only growth in technology was honing versions of what was already there.
Jen'jidai, Jung Ma server
Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
☠ Kazimir | Knight | Assassin ☠
The blade of the eclipse and harbinger of death

Romizzi
12.21.2011 , 02:57 PM | #26
My issue is not with the technology not advancing, sketchy as it is you can retcon that.

But smugglers are all good? and bounty hunters are all evil? If anything, BHs side themselves with established goverments so should be republic. Vader employs BHs in the films because the Empire is the established government.

Smugglers work against established governements so should be empire aligned.

Why does the trooper in the cinematic trailer look like a jango clone trooper.
Why does the smuggler get a Wookiee companion.

Hutt crimelords have a habit of freezing enemies in carbonite? No - Han was frozen because he happened to be on Bespin where they had a carbon freezing chamber, it wasnt even commonplace in the films.

Most of the imperial missions ive done refer to the enemy as REBELS.

There are loads more...

The issue here for me is that this feels more like a reboot than part of a cannonical universe in an established timeline.
Yes yes, the game is fun, but I wanted an EXPANDED universe, not a re-hashed one!

RatPoison
12.21.2011 , 03:03 PM | #27
Here's my complaint...

The KOTOR games... while they certainly had similarities to the movies... did have a different feel and presentation (especially the first one).

When videos and trailers started popping out for this game... It seemed like they had abandoned a lot of that KOTOR identity in an attempt to become something more people could identify with. Hell... I remember watching the first trailer (Return) and hearing the smuggler say lines (in part) from Han... and how the armor of Republic troopers resembled clone troopers from the movies. Then you throw in the Empire's badge thing on its officers (those red/blue square things) and Star Destroyer like crafts... and the game just seems to lose that 3000 year spread.

So yeah... I understand your complaint, and share in a portion of it...

Does it really disrupt my desire to play and experience the game?, eh... not really... not for the time being.

I do however wish they had not gone with so many obvious parallels to the movies though... I mean... looking at the Jedi Temple getting a craft flown into it... would have easily allowed them to make it look like whatever they wanted to... getting destroyed then and rebuilt later to how we see it in the movies. ... But oh well.

As for all the stuff about technology changes and wars and the loss of progress etc etc etc... Bypass jumping all the mental hurdles to justify things to yourself and just call it what it is and figure out if you like it or not. Just two cents nobody wants...

Vitorian
12.21.2011 , 03:35 PM | #28
DEATH STAR

Oh, wait thers more

CLONES
SUPER STAR DESTROYER

I knda like that they made Sith tech look like empire stuff from the original movies..

Kinda made me feel like Sith tech had alot of influence on the development of the republic in later generations
I'm older than you so I am probably right.

LizardSF
12.21.2011 , 03:37 PM | #29
I think a lot of it can be boiled down to:
a)Most people only know about SW from the movies.
b)Most people want to play in the "Original Trilogy" era.
c)Most people want to be Jedi.

The problem is, "b" and "c" don't work together. SWG originally wanted to have it so Jedi would be ultra-rare and would also be permadeath, so you'd almost never see a Jedi who wasn't a novice. Yeah, they stuck to that plan, alright.

So, to a very large extent, SWTOR has created a setting instantly recognizeable to most people who've seen the movies in terms of ships, uniforms, races, and basic conflicts, but with Jedi coming out of the freakin' walls.

(My unasked-for opinion? Why the frak isn't anyone setting a game just AFTER RotJ? The galaxy is in chaos. There are still huge remnants of the Empire out there, with multiple factions scrambling for control. Jedi are being taught again, and there's lots of self-taught Force users, or Jedi-in-hiding, popping their heads up for the first time. Players can meet/interact with the movie characters. Best of all worlds -- a familiar setting with familiar characters, but a lot more freedom for players. You can even declare it's an "alternate timeline" that branches right at the end of the Battle of Endor, so no one needs to feel bound by the established post-Jedi canon.)
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

Daraco
12.21.2011 , 03:49 PM | #30
Short answer... Yes. Nothing has really changed in 3000 years.

To its credit This is how most fantasy worlds are. Fantasy worlds that have a significant time pass must remain similar in order to appease fans. If they change too much the no longer resemble what they were originality and fans get *****y.

But if it makes you feel better think of it this way,

Would you really want to play a STARWARS game without blasters or light sabers? without planets you knew like Tatoonie? without names you recognize such as Organa? Without the recognizable races like Wookies?

Remove these things and this is no longer STARWARS.