Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

orbital stations (are dumb)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
orbital stations (are dumb)

calypsissmexy
02.26.2013 , 05:48 PM | #1
I hate them. For many reasons. Mostly because they look identical, offer no planetary flavor, and are a tedious step that I have to repeat over and over and over.

If they sold a legacy unlock that put you on the planet (skipped hangar and/or orbital station) every time you left your ship I would buy it one way or the other (yeah, I know there are quest givers, move them). I already prize the flashpoint shuttles that double as fleet transport and use them whenever I can to avoid the huge hangar bays, spaceports, and OS treks of tedium.

/frustrated rant

ignorable bonus question: what is up with the weapon/armor vendors that sell only/mostly grey items? Why do they exist at all?
my tumblr is smexy o.o

Ithilwen
02.26.2013 , 07:44 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by calypsissmexy View Post
ignorable bonus question: what is up with the weapon/armor vendors that sell only/mostly grey items? Why do they exist at all?
I have no idea, I think they were just meant for cosmetic purposes, RPers might use them, it's like the Jawa cloak you can get on Tatooine (might be only the consular that can get it...) it's completely usesless white(standard rating) armour, but looks sooo coooooool!
Valkarah - Valania - Santiel
Dramorion - Onai - Ostana

Eugee
02.27.2013 , 09:24 AM | #3
Many of the orbital stations are used in the planet/story quests for their respective planets, which is why the devs have not wholly removed them. However, they have at least given us the ability to go directly back to our ships now.

Rooff
02.27.2013 , 01:45 PM | #4
I dont like the orbital stations too
but I hate the air locks even more.

Infalliable
02.27.2013 , 04:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rooff View Post
I dont like the orbital stations too
but I hate the air locks even more.
Everything about travel is a pain in the game. It's the one glaring quality of life issue they have, and have very slowly been mitigating it to a minor extent with legacy travel perks (with insanely long cooldowns). They could just do a much better job and fix it much faster.

Traveling requires you to:
1. Cross a huge starport
2. Watch a useless cutscreen of you taking off
3. Load
4. Run around your ship
5. click a map
6. run around your ship
7. Watch a low rez movie of you approaching a ball that looks remotely like a planet..
8. load
9. run through entirely empty airlock
10. run through entirely empty orbital station (baring a single non-repeatable quest giver)
11. load
12. finally arrive at your planetary destination.
13. If it's Black hole, there's an extra load screen just for fun.

Xzerofour
02.27.2013 , 04:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
Everything about travel is a pain in the game. It's the one glaring quality of life issue they have, and have very slowly been mitigating it to a minor extent with legacy travel perks (with insanely long cooldowns). They could just do a much better job and fix it much faster.

Traveling requires you to:
1. Cross a huge starport
2. Watch a useless cutscreen of you taking off
3. Load
4. Run around your ship
5. click a map
6. run around your ship
7. Watch a low rez movie of you approaching a ball that looks remotely like a planet..
8. load
9. run through entirely empty airlock
10. run through entirely empty orbital station (baring a single non-repeatable quest giver)
11. load
12. finally arrive at your planetary destination.
13. If it's Black hole, there's an extra load screen just for fun.
^^^ haha And if you did the gree event quest were you go to all those planets to just talk to a droid it was like really an hour of doing 1-11 over and over and over and over and over .. just nuts...

Infalliable
02.27.2013 , 07:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xzerofour View Post
^^^ haha And if you did the gree event quest were you go to all those planets to just talk to a droid it was like really an hour of doing 1-11 over and over and over and over and over .. just nuts...
Yes, that mission was horrendous as it was just a massive wasted time sink. They were also kind enough to (generally) put the droids in the furthest corner of the maps. Despite being almost entirely (very) grey foes on every planet and not more than 4 per planet to defeat, it took over an hour.

calypsissmexy
02.28.2013 , 03:26 AM | #8
You wanna talk useless traveling, my marauder was given a fleet pass at the end of her Ch1. I used the fleet pass, found the quest marker, and talked to the guy. He gave me NOTHING. I had already gotten my legacy weapon token from the invisible quest rewarder, so I literally traveled to the fleet to talk to some stranger who had nothing to do with anything just to get a completion and was then told (by the quest, not the person) to go right back where I had been. W T F.
my tumblr is smexy o.o

abokado
02.28.2013 , 03:44 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Xzerofour View Post
Oh god, yes. Totally horrible. Especially since the game crashed 3 or 4 times because they game always crashes when I enter a lot of new instances. Definitely my favourite quest.
But yeah, those orbital stations are dumb. Don't notice them as much with my main.. got the black hole transport and use the shuttle to go somewhere else or the fleet pass to go back, but while leveling.. soo annoying. I'm spending so many minutes in the week just walking through them.

Llama-Eight
02.28.2013 , 04:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Eugee View Post
Many of the orbital stations are used in the planet/story quests for their respective planets, which is why the devs have not wholly removed them. However, they have at least given us the ability to go directly back to our ships now.
Except they don't really do anything to advance the plot other than "Planet X is dangerous, here, take this cold-weather-gear/antidote/warning-about-taking-weapons-onto-a-prison-planet", IMO, a completely irrelevant step, especially since you could get that info during the holo call on your ship where you get sent to the relevant planet (& told to pick up any gear/antidote/etc when you get there). If they gave you a mission or two I could understand it, but even then, you get all the other quests on the planet (with the exception of the Belsavis bonus quest line).