Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel gun usage question.

Radagastimus
02.26.2013 , 08:23 AM | #1
Im having trouble tolerating my Scoundrel.. Been rerolling between gunslinger/Scoundrel quite a few times and it just gets to annoy me at level 20 range.

Problem is that i find it quite boring to have gun but just hitting charged burst with weak soundeffects until resource is out and then using just flurry/Thermal bomb and vital shot. There would be quickshot which is apparently shot with some toygun from pointblank range, cant be same gun that other abilities use since range is reduced to almost zero. Damage feels all the time very weak exept if i wanna go to melee with Blaster whip/Durty kick plus sucker punch.

Blaster whip has decent cooldown but dirty kick cant be used much. Then there is sucker punch. Am i supposed to spam sucker punch for most of the fight?

What is the purpose of having gun if i am forced to go melee range?

What is the pirpose of shotgun that only works on point blank range and only to back of a target. Why not knife?

I dobr like funslinger either since i cant heal my companion which is major plus for me, i love keeping tank companions to do stuff PVE. Also i dont like that im forced to use dual wield on gunslinger. Why not option for shield generator as off-hand item.

Does scoundrel get any more usage for gun at later levels or is it supposed to be melee class since if its supposed to be for melee, then im better off just ditching the whole concept and play Sage.
“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”

-Master Yoda

Belly
02.26.2013 , 12:59 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Radagastimus View Post
Im having trouble tolerating my Scoundrel.. Been rerolling between gunslinger/Scoundrel quite a few times and it just gets to annoy me at level 20 range.

Problem is that i find it quite boring to have gun but just hitting charged burst with weak soundeffects until resource is out and then using just flurry/Thermal bomb and vital shot. There would be quickshot which is apparently shot with some toygun from pointblank range, cant be same gun that other abilities use since range is reduced to almost zero. Damage feels all the time very weak exept if i wanna go to melee with Blaster whip/Durty kick plus sucker punch.

Blaster whip has decent cooldown but dirty kick cant be used much. Then there is sucker punch. Am i supposed to spam sucker punch for most of the fight?

What is the purpose of having gun if i am forced to go melee range?

What is the pirpose of shotgun that only works on point blank range and only to back of a target. Why not knife?

I dobr like funslinger either since i cant heal my companion which is major plus for me, i love keeping tank companions to do stuff PVE. Also i dont like that im forced to use dual wield on gunslinger. Why not option for shield generator as off-hand item.

Does scoundrel get any more usage for gun at later levels or is it supposed to be melee class since if its supposed to be for melee, then im better off just ditching the whole concept and play Sage.
If you want to use a knife, maybe the operative will be more your style. But yeah, Scoundrel is a melee class. You can't really compare it to real life, it's all for the purposes of balance. Imagine 30m range on most attacks AND stealth? You'd be invincible, which don't fly in an MMO.

P.S. Shoot First (lvl 36) is awesome.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

oaceen
02.26.2013 , 01:29 PM | #3
seems like you should go gunslinger. scoundrel is a melee class.

Radagastimus
02.27.2013 , 12:50 AM | #4
Suggesting to change Smugler to Agent is not an option. Agent is Empire evil one and Smugler is one of good guys.

After more than yer, people still dont get it that scoundrel is also viable as ranged class. Only scrapper is for melee usage, that's just one talent tree for melee. 30 meter for quickshot like any other shot would not break balance in any way.

Or why not change quickshot to use scattergun at Scoundrel class? Add cd to it so that it does not become spam ability.

On the other matter, would it be good time to start raising voices to get that scattergun visible again.
“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”

-Master Yoda

Keyran-Halcyon
02.27.2013 , 09:54 AM | #5
Suggesting to change Smugler to Agent is not an option. Agent is Empire evil one and Smugler is one of good guys.

After more than yer, people still dont get it that scoundrel is also viable as ranged class. Only scrapper is for melee usage, that's just one talent tree for melee. 30 meter for quickshot like any other shot would not break balance in any way.

Or why not change quickshot to use scattergun at Scoundrel class? Add cd to it so that it does not become spam ability.

On the other matter, would it be good time to start raising voices to get that scattergun visible again.
No, scoundrel is all short ranged damage. Scrapper tree is more melee range, BUT Dirty fighting you still need to be within 10m for all the big abilities. Scoundrel does have a few of the ranged attacks because they are actually Smuggler abilities that both Advanced classes get... But the Scoundrel skill tree's don't buff the damage done by those abilities. If you are wanting big ranged damage then you need to go gunslinger. Scoundrel has big close range damage, thats why we get stealth.
Rogue Heals
<Art Supplies>
Captain Hűng Sôlo & Master Teh-Hauss

oaceen
02.27.2013 , 03:29 PM | #6
After more than yer, people still dont get it that scoundrel is also viable as ranged class. Only scrapper is for melee usage
dirty fighting is just as reliant on melee range as scrapper is. blaster whip is the only way to generate upper hands reliably for any DPS scoundrel

scoundrel is a melee class. to say that scoundrel is 'also viable as a ranged class' is laughable if not downright absurd.
honestly, i still suggest that you reroll gunslinger, since you clearly don't like the feel of scoundrel.

if you absolutely need range and healing, you should probably roll a commando instead.