Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Scheduled Maintenance: February 26th, 2013 - Postponed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Scheduled Maintenance: February 26th, 2013 - Postponed
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eldrenath's Avatar


Eldrenath
02.27.2013 , 10:46 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
So you just want to be able to log in, raid, and log off and not worry about funding repair bills?
This is the problem with today's generation, none of them want to do any work or put in any effort for rewards.
The time and effort it takes to be able to afford repair costs is so minute it's comical that you losers complain about it.
Yeah, this generation is the worst. They simply don't want to work for anything.

In a video game.

That is a hobby.

I've heard this argument time and again. Am I the only one that sees how completely asinine it is? Of COURSE I don't want to work. I work hard 40+ hours a week and take my career very seriously. I like my work and try my best to excel at it. Because work is something I'm willing to work for.

Not video games. Not my hobbies. Those are supposed to be an escape from work. It's one thing to put an effort into one's hobbies. It's another to be forced to grind. Yes, I do consider being forced to use the majority of my free play time to grind credits to fund raiding 2-3 times a week. It doesn't take 20 minutes, that's absurd. Travel to the planet, load in, run the dailies (while competing with others for the spawns), look for a group with the heroic, travel to the next area, repeat? 20 minutes? Not possible. I get to play maybe 1-2 hours on a weeknight maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Doing the dailies twice a week would use up 2 complete nights of my playtime. Yes, I consider that onerous and a waste of my time. Because I don't want to work in a video game. I want to have fun.

Thundergulch's Avatar


Thundergulch
02.27.2013 , 10:49 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
. It doesn't take 20 minutes, that's absurd.
Ilum takes 20 minutes

Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
Travel to the planet, load in, run the dailies (while competing with others for the spawns), look for a group with the heroic, travel to the next area, repeat? 20 minutes? Not possible.
I do it all the time, solo.. .no need to look for others to group up with.

Eldrenath's Avatar


Eldrenath
02.27.2013 , 10:49 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by rbkrbk View Post
Great counterpoint. It seems, as your post count approaches infinity, your intelligence approaches zero. Well done, sir.
HA! Owned.

Eldrenath's Avatar


Eldrenath
02.27.2013 , 10:56 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
Ilum takes 20 minutes


I do it all the time, solo.. .no need to look for others to group up with.
When you post a video showing travel to Ilum, load in, complete clear of all dailies, turn in, travel to a place to actually play in 20 minutes flat I'll believe you. Pics or it didn't happen.

Besides, running Ilum only 1-2 times per week won't fund progression raiding. One night of raiding with 3-4 wipes (common in progression raiding) costs me 50k+ in repairs with current repair costs. I spent over 150k raiding this weekend. I like to raid twice a week. Ilum dailies do not yield that much unless I do them each and every day I have time to play that I'm not raiding. And no, I'm not willing to grind dailies with all or even half of my non-raiding playtime. If I am forced to spend all my non-raid playtime grinding something I consider boring and pointless to fund the part of the game I like most then this ceases being a hobby and becomes a chore. This is a hobby I do for fun and I am willing to put in an effort (working with guildies to try new strategies, trying different skill builds and gear optimizations, etc) but I am not willing to do what I consider work.

I have a job. I don't need another, and CERTAINLY not another that I pay rather than pays me.

rbkrbk's Avatar


rbkrbk
02.27.2013 , 12:18 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
My solution is simple, if 20 minutes of "work" is too much for you to be able to afford repairs, then you don't want to raid that badly.
Depending on how often you wipe, you might need to run one more daily... OH the horror!
40 minutes per week... wow that's just terrible.
All you're doing is ignoring counter arguments and repeating your own initial ones. This "conversation" has started to circle.
"The Old Republic is in EA’s top 10 franchises in terms of profitability, “but it’s not in our top five”. “So it’s a business contributor, while important, is not as important as Medal of Honor or Battlefield or FIFA or Madden or The Sims or SimCity..."
- John Riccitiello, CEO, Electronic Arts

Thundergulch's Avatar


Thundergulch
02.27.2013 , 12:21 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by rbkrbk View Post
All you're doing is ignoring counter arguments and repeating your own initial ones. This "conversation" has started to circle.
All you're doing is ignoring the fact that money is easily earned in this game for VERY little effort on your part.

Thundergulch's Avatar


Thundergulch
02.27.2013 , 12:27 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
When you post a video showing travel to Ilum, load in, complete clear of all dailies, turn in, travel to a place to actually play in 20 minutes flat I'll believe you. Pics or it didn't happen.
Just because you're unable to do it, doesn't make it impossible.


Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
Besides, running Ilum only 1-2 times per week won't fund progression raiding.
Sure it does, it funds my HM TFB raids weekly.
Ilum will net you approximately 100k credits.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
And no, I'm not willing to grind dailies with all or even half of my non-raiding playtime.
Then your argument for not being able to afford repair bills is moot.

Eldrenath's Avatar


Eldrenath
02.27.2013 , 12:34 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
Just because you're unable to do it, doesn't make it impossible.
Again, pics or it didn't happen. 20 minutes for getting there, grabbing quests, completing all, turning in, travelling somewhere else so you can actually play. Just because you're unable to prove it, doesn't make it possible.

Quote:
Sure it does, it funds my HM TFB raids weekly.
Because all players have the same gear with the same repair costs under the old system and are wiping the same number of times and doing the same content? Someone is a narcissist: "It works for ME, so it works."

Quote:
Then your argument for not being able to afford repair bills is moot.
No...it's not. Your point here makes no sense and points to nothing at all. I have time to raid. I don't have time for dailies 3 times per week.

I guess there's no point in arguing though. The system has changed and repair costs are reasonable again. So if it makes you feel more hardcore and willing to "work", then feel free to send credits randomly to other players to offset the new decrease in repair costs.

Thundergulch's Avatar


Thundergulch
02.27.2013 , 12:38 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
Again, pics or it didn't happen. 20 minutes for getting there, grabbing quests, completing all, turning in, travelling somewhere else so you can actually play. Just because you're unable to prove it, doesn't make it possible.
LOL!
I don't need to prove it, lots of people can do Ilum in 20 minutes.
Black Hole can be done even quicker!

Thundergulch's Avatar


Thundergulch
02.27.2013 , 12:42 PM | #80
FYI: I'm in full 63 gear, less earpiece and implants.
ONE death and my repair bill is about 8k or so,maybe 9k or 10k at most.
If yours is 150k, that means you're dying WAY WAY WAY too much.