Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thoughts on accuracy/alacrity in 2.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Thoughts on accuracy/alacrity in 2.0?

CJNJ
02.25.2013 , 12:26 PM | #11
In my time pretending to tank on the PTS(on live my tank is lvl 39 ) I've found an instance where my stockstrike missing did lead to me losing threat, it was in one of the lvl 55 FPs and only for the initial pull, and neither of the classes used dots so I couldn't get HiB off. I regained Aggro shortly after that, but it still got me mad for having that happen to me. Sure it's unlikely that you will miss but it can suck when you do

steave
02.25.2013 , 12:55 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by CJNJ View Post
In my time pretending to tank on the PTS(on live my tank is lvl 39 ) I've found an instance where my stockstrike missing did lead to me losing threat, it was in one of the lvl 55 FPs and only for the initial pull, and neither of the classes used dots so I couldn't get HiB off. I regained Aggro shortly after that, but it still got me mad for having that happen to me. Sure it's unlikely that you will miss but it can suck when you do
Sure, it can be annoying I guess - but then again, we've always been dealing with a chance that the railshot misses anyway.

haksilence
02.28.2013 , 10:49 AM | #13
I min maxed my arkanian gear to have just mitigation stats with no accuracy or alacrity on my shadow and I was sustaining 2.4k threat per second average across an entire hammer station run. At 0 accuracy you'll have a base of 93% and seeing that two well played combat and watchman scents couldn't pull off for even a moment even without guard Id say the answer is "no accuracy will not be needed and alacrity will not be needed on a shadow, that much I can say.
10/10 NiM Dread Ops
Archon Jaberse, Captain Morgan Spice'rum, Gatecrasher Kithide Ameranthine
<Aisthesis> and <Postmortem>
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardarell_Solo View Post
Mr. Captain Morgan Roll/Rummaster ^^

Kibaken
04.10.2013 , 01:23 AM | #14
Any math done as to how Alacrity factors in? I've noticed a lot of the available gear has quite a bit of Alacrity (and on an unrelated note not a lot of defense) and I wanted to get an idea of how many extra pieces I'll need to farm to drop the Alacrity.
The Aurion Legacy

Nylos Aevir Salrik Lyrax | Malkros Uhriel Flamel Kemarov
Prophecy of the Five

KeyboardNinja
04.10.2013 , 09:16 AM | #15
You should have no alacrity at all as a tank. Alacrity is a damage-boosting stat, nothing more, and since it competes with shield, you couldn't possibly take any of it without significantly gimping your mitigation. So, no.

Accuracy is more interesting. To answer everyone's question: tank proc effects are on ability *activation*, not on hit. Thus, *activating* Slow Time or Project gives a stack of HS (even when they miss). *Activating* Riposte triggers Blade Barricade. *Activating* Energy Blast grants 25% absorb and consumes your stacks. Fundamental tank procs are immune to interaction with accuracy. With that said, accuracy can still have an effect. For example, if my Project misses, I keep the Particle Acceleration proc. Hilariously, if my Shadow Strike misses, I keep the Shadow Wrap proc and get to use SS a *second* time (back to back) with the same reduced cost.

Since fundamental tank procs do not have a negative interaction with survivability, accuracy itself has no survivability contribution and thus should be considered a damage stat that competes with shield. Thus, it is in the same category as alacrity. (do not want!)
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Kibaken
04.10.2013 , 07:53 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
You should have no alacrity at all as a tank. Alacrity is a damage-boosting stat, nothing more, and since it competes with shield, you couldn't possibly take any of it without significantly gimping your mitigation. So, no.

Accuracy is more interesting. To answer everyone's question: tank proc effects are on ability *activation*, not on hit. Thus, *activating* Slow Time or Project gives a stack of HS (even when they miss). *Activating* Riposte triggers Blade Barricade. *Activating* Energy Blast grants 25% absorb and consumes your stacks. Fundamental tank procs are immune to interaction with accuracy. With that said, accuracy can still have an effect. For example, if my Project misses, I keep the Particle Acceleration proc. Hilariously, if my Shadow Strike misses, I keep the Shadow Wrap proc and get to use SS a *second* time (back to back) with the same reduced cost.

Since fundamental tank procs do not have a negative interaction with survivability, accuracy itself has no survivability contribution and thus should be considered a damage stat that competes with shield. Thus, it is in the same category as alacrity. (do not want!)

Thanks. I assumed so, I just wish they didn't throw it on the tank gear. /sigh BW...
The Aurion Legacy

Nylos Aevir Salrik Lyrax | Malkros Uhriel Flamel Kemarov
Prophecy of the Five

Eternalnight
04.10.2013 , 09:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Alacrity is a damage-boosting stat, nothing more
This "nothing more" should not be taken too literally. I think alacrity can have some small contribution to survivability at least for shadow/assassin tanks. Speeding up their attack rotation means they build up to 3 stacks of HS/HD that much faster allowing them to get that self healing that much more often, so it would little bit increase their HPS.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that alacrity would be good enough to be worth using in your gear. I'm planning to remove it all from mine. Just noting that despite being undesirable stat, its contribution to survivability would not be 0.

DarthSpekulatius
04.11.2013 , 01:29 AM | #18
lower shield chance -> more spiky That's the Problem I Think

SafeJungleFever
04.15.2013 , 05:15 AM | #19
Just wanted to point out something about stockstrike/HiB. While it's true that high impact bolt can activate with any dot or debuff even if it's not yours, you do lose out on the 'smart AoE' effect. of the HiB. This is fairly trivial in my experience given the massive amounts of AoE abilities at our disposal, but still worth noting.

Haven't tanked at 55 yet but have healed and DPSed quite a bit. Tanks are definitely having threat issues on trash and initial pull but it isn't unmanageable at this point. What's been the most unsettling has been the massive amounts of healer aggro. If I'm not careful (as a healer) I can wipe the group. It's really pretty absurd.

KeyboardNinja
04.15.2013 , 12:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SafeJungleFever View Post
Haven't tanked at 55 yet but have healed and DPSed quite a bit. Tanks are definitely having threat issues on trash and initial pull but it isn't unmanageable at this point. What's been the most unsettling has been the massive amounts of healer aggro. If I'm not careful (as a healer) I can wipe the group. It's really pretty absurd.
It's not quite that bad. I've been doing a lot of level 55 tanking on my shadow, and while I do absolutely have to work a lot harder to make sure everything is managed and rounded up, I don't think it's really a problem. The issues I've seen have been more due to lower gear levels than anything else (everything takes longer to die and players take more damage due to the across-the-board stat nerfs). I didn't have any trouble holding agro off of healers when I was focused on doing so, and holding agro off of DPS is easier than ever due to the significant threat buffs that all tanks received.

Basically, I think what we're seeing now is that tanks have to work harder than they might be used to on account of gear levels. It's absolutely possible to manage and control things as tightly as we used to though, which is reassuring.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)