Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Thoughts on accuracy/alacrity in 2.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Thoughts on accuracy/alacrity in 2.0?

CJNJ's Avatar


CJNJ
02.24.2013 , 03:13 AM | #1
So with the PTS stuff now they started throwing alacrity and accuracy on our gear again and making them "useful"" stats now, do you all think it may benefit? Personally I can only see alacrity being plausable to VGs, because of the way their ammo works. Accuracy on the other hand I think may be necessary, to an extent. And ya I know you lose midigation from taking accuracy but boy do I hate seeing that resist when I use stockstrike and don't get to use HiB because I don't get the dot.

Also a quick question if your project/ST/TKthrow or BS/Riposte for guardians gets resisted do you lose the buffs that get applied from them? I know for stockstrike I miss out on the dot but idk for other classes/moves

Marb's Avatar


Marb
02.24.2013 , 05:16 AM | #2
Its tough to say at this point. The complicating element is the *massive* boost to the effectiveness of shields, with shield rating occupying the same places as accuracy and alacrity.

The value of accuracy is going to come down to how missed attacks interact with defensive buffs and procs. For example if heat blast missing means no 25% absorb buff (which wouldn't make sense), there's not going to be much choice in the matter, we will have to hit cap ourselves.

Can't see much point in alacrity though. Even with its new interaction with PT and shadow resources, shield rating is surely going to be more valuable.
Harbinger

ipagex's Avatar


ipagex
02.24.2013 , 06:19 AM | #3
I have 91% accuracy (0 on gear) on my sin tank and it does not affect me in any negative way in holding aggro. From what i gathered from my brief look over patch notes i didn't see any changes made to this stat, so i suspect there will be no reason to change previous builds to include it.

Alacrity for tanks? Hm, i'm inclined to say no thanks. Why? Because one would need massive amounts to see a big improvement in resource regeneration. That would just drop our defensive stats too much and i don't think it's worth it.

Marb's Avatar


Marb
02.24.2013 , 07:35 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ipagex View Post
I have 91% accuracy (0 on gear) on my sin tank and it does not affect me in any negative way in holding aggro. From what i gathered from my brief look over patch notes i didn't see any changes made to this stat, so i suspect there will be no reason to change previous builds to include it.

Alacrity for tanks? Hm, i'm inclined to say no thanks. Why? Because one would need massive amounts to see a big improvement in resource regeneration. That would just drop our defensive stats too much and i don't think it's worth it.
Accuracy itself has not changed, but level 55 ops mobs will have 8% resist chance, which means your tech/force attacks will have a chance to be resisted. By itself, it's not a massive change, but many procs and effects *may* be linked to special attacks landing. The most obvious example is that if rocket punch misses, no ion gas dot is applied, and railshot can't be used.

Again its too early to tell at this point if missed abilities will have a severe effect on tank threat/survivability. My initial observation is that it wont be negative enough to warrant dropping shield for it.
Harbinger

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
02.24.2013 , 06:25 PM | #5
It will depend on individual abilities. If an ability procs on activation it doesn't matter if it hits or misses, if it procs on damage it has to hit. For example: Ion cell won't proc is Stockstrike is resisted but Blade Barrier will activate even if Blade Storm is resisted.

As a general rule if the ability says: "Activating X has a Y% chance to grant Z" it doesn't matter if it hits, most tank abilities are like this. Otherwise if it says "X has a Y% change to trigger Z when dealing damage" or "Targets affected by X suffer Z" it has to hit.

My thoughts so far follow what I've done on Live. Ditch accuracy and alacrity as much as possible unless you are having threat issues. I've only tested Guardian so far and while I was seeing a lot (well a noticeable amount) of resists it wasn't giving me threat issue.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

steave's Avatar


steave
02.25.2013 , 03:23 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
The most obvious example is that if rocket punch misses, no ion gas dot is applied, and railshot can't be used.
Even that shouldn't be an issue - it just requires "a" effect on the target, and it's very unlikely that there won't be at least 1 DPS applying armor reduction/dots to it, leaving you free to railshot.

Marb's Avatar


Marb
02.25.2013 , 06:46 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by steave View Post
Even that shouldn't be an issue - it just requires "a" effect on the target, and it's very unlikely that there won't be at least 1 DPS applying armor reduction/dots to it, leaving you free to railshot.
It must be a dot or an incapacitate effect. And yea I agree, just showing an example of the flow on effect from special attacks missing.
Harbinger

steave's Avatar


steave
02.25.2013 , 09:20 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
It must be a dot or an incapacitate effect. And yea I agree, just showing an example of the flow on effect from special attacks missing.
I'm actually not sure about the sniper/jugg armor reduction, but merc armor reduction at least definitely does allow use of railshot.

SalBasss's Avatar


SalBasss
02.25.2013 , 09:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
level 55 ops mobs will have 8% resist chance, which means your tech/force attacks will have a chance to be resisted. By itself, it's not a massive change, but many procs and effects *may* be linked to special attacks landing.
I disagree - this is a pretty *major* change since ZERO mobs in the game currently have any kind of force/tech resist. Do you have a source on this?

Marb's Avatar


Marb
02.25.2013 , 10:00 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SalBasss View Post
I disagree - this is a pretty *major* change since ZERO mobs in the game currently have any kind of force/tech resist. Do you have a source on this?
Can't find links to any relevant log data and I'm having rouble uploading mine to torparse, but it can be observed attacking the 55 ops training dummy on the fleet on the pts. Take a toon there, make some logs, and look at the parses using 0% accuracy gear.

Quote: Originally Posted by steave View Post
I'm actually not sure about the sniper/jugg armor reduction, but merc armor reduction at least definitely does allow use of railshot.
Your right, the wording on the railshot tooltip is not really accurate in this regard. It seems it has to be a debuff with a damage component, with the exception of armor reduction.
Harbinger