Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

2.0 Madness Lightning strike part of your rotation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
2.0 Madness Lightning strike part of your rotation?

paowee's Avatar


paowee
02.24.2013 , 12:44 AM | #1
Is Lightning Strike now part of your Madness rotation?

DPS
Recklessness FL -> LS = 1750, 1625, 1615. I stopped when Recklessness came back off cooldown.
Recklessness FL spam = 1600, 1595, 1570. I stopped when Recklessness came back off cooldown.
Recklessness LS spam = 1600, 1570, 1531. I stopped when I ran out of energy (not sustainable).
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Sosajoshua's Avatar


Sosajoshua
02.24.2013 , 10:45 AM | #2
LS is about to become Madness Sorcs best friend! You can interchange it with CD in your rotation and probably have a lot of fun. Like do your normal rotation and if Deathmark is still up use LS for burn lightning. Once DM is down and you still have wrath use CD in the interrum then back to rotation. I will say that now all Madness and Hybrids will have to choose btwn what they use with Wrath and I think CD will start getting neglected so I would say CD could have better Wrath usage in pvp
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.24.2013 , 11:26 AM | #3
It looks as though Crushing Darkness will still be the priority with Wrath. From what I'm reading of those who have been testing different specs on the PTS, lightning strike is still a DPS loss. Because of the increased cost, it also makes you force negative. It might be worth using to keep focal lightning up or while on the move as shock used to be, but I don't see it being a regular part of the rotation. Unless, of course, the info I've been reading is wrong.

Gankstah's Avatar


Gankstah
02.24.2013 , 02:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
It looks as though Crushing Darkness will still be the priority with Wrath. From what I'm reading of those who have been testing different specs on the PTS, lightning strike is still a DPS loss. Because of the increased cost, it also makes you force negative. It might be worth using to keep focal lightning up or while on the move as shock used to be, but I don't see it being a regular part of the rotation. Unless, of course, the info I've been reading is wrong.
1.) LS is being hailed unilaterally by actual testers (i.e. posters dropping actual parses) as a perfectly viable if not preferable use of Wrath.

2.) The increased cost and this fear of being "Force Negative" is simple paranoia. People, like the above poster are forgetting, or more likely simply ignorant of, one of the two changes to the core game mechanics that 2.0 is heralding:

A.) Shield now applies to force & tech attacks (this is HUGE) and more to the point...

B.) Alacrity now directly affects resource regen on a 1:1 % ratio.

So the people crying about being "Force Negative" can calm down. These changes, as well as soft cap revamps, are going to change itemization as we currently understand it. There's a lot of exploration to do and Sorc/Sages are in a far better position now then they have been in a long time.

What players SHOULD be thinking about is the actual need for Sorc/Sage to start stacking accuracy.

CJNJ's Avatar


CJNJ
02.24.2013 , 02:37 PM | #5
Why doesn't everyone go to the fleet dummy and just spam FL and Procced LS till they run out of force? Then post the parse over here and we can see which did more dps. Only factor would be gear and accuracy and lag. There is no buffs outside of the crit chance and actual proc for LS so I think it would work out fine

Oldraven's Avatar


Oldraven
02.24.2013 , 04:07 PM | #6
Lightning Strike is hilariously useful in Madness builds now. Every time you use it, you get a stack of Polarity, meaning your Alacrity increases by 1% up to four times for 15 seconds.

If Lightning Burns procs off of it, you instead get TWO stacks. This is important. Every percentage point of Alacrity is an increase in our Force generation as well. Rolling in just the gear they offered on the PTS, I was able to keep up around 12-13% Alacrity pretty much at will boosting it all the way up to an absurd 37-38% with Polarity Shift when I went below 75% Force. That meant that for the duration of Force Polarity, my Force regen was close to 12 Force per instance of regeneration, plus Force Lightning feeding me back Force, all the while with my dots rolling, and rolling, and rolling.

It's like electric Sithmas. I've had to intentionally screw around to get below 60% Force.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.24.2013 , 04:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gankstah View Post
1.) LS is being hailed unilaterally by actual testers (i.e. posters dropping actual parses) as a perfectly viable if not preferable use of Wrath.

2.) The increased cost and this fear of being "Force Negative" is simple paranoia. People, like the above poster are forgetting, or more likely simply ignorant of, one of the two changes to the core game mechanics that 2.0 is heralding:

A.) Shield now applies to force & tech attacks (this is HUGE) and more to the point...

B.) Alacrity now directly affects resource regen on a 1:1 % ratio.

So the people crying about being "Force Negative" can calm down. These changes, as well as soft cap revamps, are going to change itemization as we currently understand it. There's a lot of exploration to do and Sorc/Sages are in a far better position now then they have been in a long time.

What players SHOULD be thinking about is the actual need for Sorc/Sage to start stacking accuracy.
Neither my sorc nor my sage are on the PTS, so I am not speaking with any sort of authority. But Elidhu, whom
I respect, did some testing with his sage and found Disturbance was still a DPS loss. I would love to see some further testing on this.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=602013

NotRonin's Avatar


NotRonin
02.24.2013 , 08:08 PM | #8
Any class with the ability ti increase alacrity must stack alacrity. The more you have, the more it scales.

The damage increase from 0% alacrity to 10% alacrity is ~11%
to 20% alacrity is 25%
to 30% is 43%
to 40% is 67%

Without the limit of GCD, your burst is going to be OMGWTFBBQ amazing once you have enough alacrity.

Sosajoshua's Avatar


Sosajoshua
02.25.2013 , 08:08 AM | #9
Lmfao any Madness who doesnt use LS after 2.0 is just dumb. Btwn the burn and alacrity it gives off its an increase to our dps and our regen. Besides in an operation you have to be really bad at your rotation to allow your force to go below 60%. In pvp its different because more just toss dots at any guy or gal they see but figure 1v1, 1v2 and you should not have a force problem at all using LS and you can use its benefits
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.25.2013 , 11:46 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sosajoshua View Post
Lmfao any Madness who doesnt use LS after 2.0 is just dumb. Btwn the burn and alacrity it gives off its an increase to our dps and our regen. Besides in an operation you have to be really bad at your rotation to allow your force to go below 60%. In pvp its different because more just toss dots at any guy or gal they see but figure 1v1, 1v2 and you should not have a force problem at all using LS and you can use its benefits
You might be right, but I'd like to see more theorycrafting to back up these definitive statements. That thread I posted from the Sage forum has parses to back up what is being said. I'd love to see something similar to back up what's being said here.