Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Esseles or "Mama said Ironfist knock you out"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
The Esseles or "Mama said Ironfist knock you out"

Staavis_SC
12.20.2011 , 01:51 PM | #1
Ok, maybe I just don't understand what the grouping suggestions mean, but as I recall, the Esseles was listed as Group 2. I took that to mean that my Girlfriend and I, along with our respective companions, should have been able to do the flashpoint, without too much trouble.

We got through trash ok. It was nothing, we blazed through that.

But then we met Ironfist.

For being a Level 8-11 Flashpoint, given to noobs just leaving Tython, you'd think this would be a fairly simple Flashpoint to get through, in order to teach people how flashpoints operate.

Couldn't be more wrong.

I'm rolling a Jedi Guardian. She is rolling a Jedi Shadow. We got our collective Force-using butts handed to us. Wipe after wipe, we simply couldn't get Ironfist down before he toasted us, still having about 20-25% of his HP left.

We tried a variety of methods. We cleared adds as they came, he killed us.

We tried to bomb him down, ignoring the adds, he killed us.

We brought in another player, a Trooper, and he killed us.

We tried pulling him back away from the add spawns so they wouldn't be a factor, he still killed us.

What is the deal with Ironfist?

Is the [Group 2+] tag a joke? Is it meant to be Group 2+ only if you are leet, fully geared and are experts in your class?

Not sure what the deal is, but it certainly put a dmaper on the fun we were having up to that point, and we eneded up dropping it and moving on, and the GF doesn't ever want to try it again!

Were we just doing it wrong, or is there a serious learning curve required to defeat Ironfist?
Look, we got four or five of the main characters on this ship. I think we're gonna be okay.

Yiddleja
12.20.2011 , 02:06 PM | #2
Nah I had the same problem. He can be a pain in the butt but we persevered through it and beat him with 2 smugglers. Keep in mind though that Ironfist isn't the true ending to that flashpoint. So good luck.

Mavery
12.20.2011 , 02:09 PM | #3
If you have no one capable of healing, you need to do whatever you can to decrease damage taken and increase damage output. I completed the Essles last Tuesday @ level 10 with your exact same makeup. It can be done. Watch for avoidable damage (and then, duh, avoid it) and pump out the DPS.

You'll get it.

Mattbail
12.20.2011 , 02:22 PM | #4
Make sure you are not stationary when he rains missiles on you. That can make or break the fight as me and a friend found once, so much damage at a given time if you do not move.
Limited CE Key Holder

Vodrin
12.20.2011 , 02:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mattbail View Post
Make sure you are not stationary when he rains missiles on you. That can make or break the fight as me and a friend found once, so much damage at a given time if you do not move.
That's the key. Once he starts his AoE it will not relocate, so move. If you do that you should be able to pull it off (although it's still a tough fight with only two people.

mancalledtommy
12.20.2011 , 02:53 PM | #6
I ran it a few times as a Guardian with a Gunslinger friend and while Ironfist did kill out companions, we didn't die ourselves (though we were pretty low health at the end).

We were both Lv 11 and had stims and medpacs to use.

nabrendel
12.20.2011 , 02:55 PM | #7
Edit on this. I see now that you did have your companions. If you're only 8 that is the problem. You should be 10 to survive because if you can't beat Ironfist.. you'll be in for a rude surprise later.

Staavis_SC
12.20.2011 , 03:02 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by nabrendel View Post
Edit on this. I see now that you did have your companions. If you're only 8 that is the problem. You should be 10 to survive because if you can't beat Ironfist.. you'll be in for a rude surprise later.
We were both Level 11.
Look, we got four or five of the main characters on this ship. I think we're gonna be okay.

Fluffyburrito
12.20.2011 , 04:36 PM | #9
A friend and I easily passed this. Ironfist is the only boss that is kinda hard. Honestly, at this level, your tanking abilities are HORRID compared to the free taunt and threat of companions. Let your companions do the tanking and you'll blaze past everything.

londerwost
12.23.2011 , 01:25 AM | #10
Just wanted to chime in that my wife and I had the same experience. Looked at Esseles, saw two player recommend and decided to go. I'm Sage, she's Guardian, we both made sure to have all our stuff trained up, figured level 11 was more than enough, got some better gear off the auction house, and headed in. Had meds, had stims, had buffs. We breezed through it, literally murdered everything in sight within seconds. Got to Ironfist and struggled to get him down to 10% before we died.

We tried using companion taunts, tried without companion taunts. Tried taking out adds, tried burning him, ignoring adds. Everytime we made sure to keep running when he did his rocket launcher deal. I'm hammering range dps and throwing heals in between. Nothing works. Gets to 10% and he kills us. Everytime. And we banged our heads against this wall to the point of insanity before we gave up and logged off. I'm all for challenges and figuring things out but this was just stupid.

Before logging, I asked the guild about it and basically they all did it either at higher level or having someone run them through it. Some suggested getting to 13 or 14 for taunt and better powers.

Seems silly to have something that is seemingly your first instance, that is also a transition to your next location, when you can't do it without getting to that location and getting better gear, more levels, and having more people. Or saying it's two person when it's really 4 person. It's basically misinformation about the expectations of this instance.

Good moral booster, too, for someone expecting one thing then getting something unpleasant instead. Kinda killed my evening.