Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thoughts on 2.0 changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Thoughts on 2.0 changes

Taleek
02.22.2013 , 11:25 AM | #1
So anyone who's checked out the PTS talent trees so far probably noticed most of the tank classes recieved some pretty big changes, guardian / juggernaut in particular got a bunch of new talents, and Vanguard/ Powertech isn't too far behind.

You can see all the PTS Talent Trees here, please note this does have some errors, for instance when you max out Single Saber Mastery for the juggernaut/guardian it reads as it increasing melee/force defense by 30%, which obviously can't be right. Despite this though there are some very neat changes, some new possibilites for Shadow/Assasin, a whole bunch of utility goodies for jugg/guardian, including a damage absorbing shield to every group member in range when they AoE taunt, interesting changes to Sunder and C Blow/G Slash, including doubling the number of targets the aoe on G Slash/ C Blow can hit. Also, interesting procs for force leap and guard.

Vanguard/ PT are also getting some new goodies, including a VERY interesting proc for pulse cannon/ flamethrower, which when 2 points are spent, gives direct damage attacks a 15% chance to- finish their cooldown, make the next one free, and make them cast and tick twice as fast. (can occur once every 12 seconds with 2 points). Also getting a SELF HEAL from the shoulder cannon/whatever the BH equivalent is, probably jetpack missile. Also, buffs to defense rating, a change to power screen/ flame screen, which is now no longer granted by ion pulse/ BH equivalent but instead simply by shielding, stacks up to 3 times, and enables the use of energy blast/ flame burst at 3 stacks, which when used will consume the stacks and increase absorb by 25% for 6 seconds.

All these changes look pretty cool to me and I think this will make VG/PT and Jugg/Guard tanks a lot more interesting to play. Thoughts?
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

joshuatalmadge
02.22.2013 , 11:33 AM | #2
Jugg here, I'm not a big fan of the changes. Seems there is more group protection at the cost of self preservation. There is increased threat, with damage increases but I really didn't have an issue prior to 2.0. My mitigation mods that worked so hard for ie Defense went from 34% to 19% now. *** so far not a big fan as my toon now gets chopped down to 25% health on trash mobs pretty quickly. I'll just have to get my defensive rotations down but until then seems like the healers will be busy with me. HAHA

Taleek
02.22.2013 , 11:39 AM | #3
Yea, the changes to stats are weird, it will be interesting to see how these new talents work once we get our stats back up to where they were.
.- Never forget.

Glower
02.22.2013 , 01:01 PM | #4
[PVP]
I think Vang tank still much worse than guards or shadows - still lack of utility and still lack of def cooldowns, just little better "2.0" stats plus new Hold the line and Shoulder cannon.

Pure meatshield with average dps.
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Kitru
02.22.2013 , 02:58 PM | #5
You forgot to mention the absolute best of all of those changes: Shield generators now work against *all* attacks that deal K/E damage, not just M/R attacks. Shields and tank stats (other than Defense) are actually going to matter in PvP and on K/E damage bosses.

As to the actual changes to the class trees:

Shadow tanks were largely unchanged, with only a few minor tweaks (Kinetic Bulwark assuaging high attack/sec scenarios by providing abs as KW stacks are lost; loss of 20% increase to armor, which isn't really important since we still get 115% from CT; Shadow Wrap to encourage Shadow Strike and DS use which I'm doubtful whether it will have a major impact upon actual play since DS sees such negligible use). A majority of what occurred was reordering and reprioritization of talents.

Guardian tanks got some *major* damage and threat increases through talents: Guardian Slash hits more targets, deals more damage outright while requiring the now single application of Sundering to auto-cleave, provides a 3% DR buff, costs less than it does now, and activates Riposte; Riposte itself is now on a shorter CD and has a higher crit chance; the talents have provided Guardian tanks with more passive mitigation by increasing armor as well as a shorter CD on Saber Ward. The absolute best, however, is that Guardians are getting a tweaked version of the Shadow's Resilience, Saber Reflect: it's on the same CD (1 min) with the same duration (3 into 5 seconds through talent) while it affects ranged attacks as well as F/T attacks and actually reflects said attacks back; the only thing that makes it "worse" is that it doesn't work on AoEs and Shadows are going to use Resilience a bit more often because of Elusiveness (which, with the tweak to Shield generators working on F/T K/E attacks as well means that Elusiveness is going to reduce it by a lot more).

The VG tank changes aren't really all that massive: their mitigation stats got normalized a bit (they now get 4% Defense but their Absorb increase was reduced from 12% to 7%; Energy Blast is getting kind of strange because it now provides 25% Absorb for 6 seconds, but that can't be permanent thanks to CD restrictions), the sources and interactions of their attacks got tweaked a bit (Power Screen is now passive and relies on successful defend/shield/resist), and they got Pulse Engine, which is amazing (15% chance on direct damage attacks to reset Pulse Cannon, make it free, and channel twice as fast every 18 seconds), and they got a nice self heal (Shoulder Cannon heals 5% of total hp with each shot). The biggest changes were to their CDs: Smoke Grenade is now location targeted and applies both a large slow *and* a bigger acc debuff than it used to, Adrenaline Rush got changed to be an emergency heal while still fulfilling it's existing role for VG tanks, and Reactive Shield got a longer duration and has some nice AoE utility.

Overall, every tank class got some substantial buffs (Guardians actually end up with more Focus over time because of cost reductions even though some people are screaming bloody murder about the Sundering Strike change). Guardians made out especially well.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

wadecounty
02.22.2013 , 04:00 PM | #6
To add to the Guardian changes, while they get less overall Defense from their skill tree now (Riposte up to 5% from 3% but removal of 6% talent = net loss of 4%), Riposte's bonus actually applies to Resistance as well. So Guardians will now essentially have a permanent 5% Resist chance, which will be higher than either a Vanguard or Shadow gets.

Taleek
02.22.2013 , 04:05 PM | #7
Yes they did. And I forgot to include the change to shield, that will be great. Vanguard's going to have an easier time managing ammo now that its 100pt and also we no longer need ion pulse for much of anything besides the debuff. I'm glad to see guardian get the huge buffs it deserved finally, personally. Moderate buff to vanguard, minor changes to Shadow, seems pretty good overall to me.
.- Never forget.

Kitru
02.22.2013 , 04:39 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
Riposte's bonus actually applies to Resistance as well. So Guardians will now essentially have a permanent 5% Resist chance, which will be higher than either a Vanguard or Shadow gets.
My *guess* is that it was either unintended or was intended to make up for Guardians having lower Shield and Absorb compared to Shadows and VGs (though the state of VG Absorb w/ Energy Blast active combined with their already impressive Shield and Absorb give me serious pause concerning their potential mitigation; unless the Absorb curve is substantially different, VGs could get up to ~100% Absorb while EB is active and with potentially 66% uptime).
My New Class Idea

joshuatalmadge
02.22.2013 , 08:27 PM | #9
Just perusing through the armor on the PTS. What is up with the alacrity on the war leader gear? Does alacrity do something for Jugg tanks now? Also, now that s/a seems to be the premium tank stats, I was looking for the sturdiness enhancement and didn't see it on any of the jugg gear. Anything on the BH/Sin gear?

Kitru
02.22.2013 , 10:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by joshuatalmadge View Post
Does alacrity do something for Jugg tanks now?
They're changing alacrity to be useful for everyone: it reduces the GCD and, for classes other than Knights, it increases resource regeneration.
My New Class Idea