Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To Help or Not to Help. That Is The Question

Ziso
02.26.2013 , 12:32 PM | #21
If i see a player in trouble in combat v npcs i will always help them. if it looks like its 50/50 and both health are quite low ill throw a little something like freeze on npc or guard on player.

Most just respond with thanks or a /bow but only takes less than a minute to help out someone else and could save thier mission without them being killed.

If im heading into missions like rescue drall engineers in black hole and someone else is entering at the same time ill always send them an invite so we both get the mission unlocks etc

Usefulidiots
02.26.2013 , 02:31 PM | #22
I always looked at is as this person is my team mate, or on my side, why not lend a hand. Your help should be appreciated no matter the situation. Help them kill their mob, buff them and be on your way. From time to time, I also will help out a dirty Imp. I really enjoyed this in Guild Wars 2, because not only are you helping, but you are also getting exp and loot from who you are helping kill and everyone is happy. I wish there were group events in TOR that would bring a lot of people together for a short time while questing. Lend a hand, why not make the next guys/gals day a little brighter/easier.

Aryh
02.26.2013 , 07:45 PM | #23
I am quite torn about this.
I used to play a game, where attacking other players' monsters was strictily forbidden since you would take exp (and in case of most dmg also the loot) away fromt hem. Healing was okay, though. So I wasn't used to supporting people in their fights and just went by.
One day, some player on Alderan insulted me for not helping him out which I found very rude as I regard helping an optional (nice) choice. Usually, it's his own responsibility what enemy he takes on.

Personally, I don't really like being helped out (except maybe for boss fights). This may come from being used not to be helped.
I know that once you hit an enemy it becomes grey for everyone else but when I encounter a group of foes, I don't always hit all of them at once. So if someone jumps in to help me, he may consequently take loot, exp and/or kills away from me.

I don't mind being healed though.

Additionally, there may be times at which players engage in hard fights to test their limits... I don't want to take that away from anyone.
I find it hard to decide whether a player actually wants help or not. So if it seems like they're losing I heal them and if it's a daily or it seems like they don't mind me helping them, I attack their enemy as well.
But I see no point in joining every trash fight (or being helped in a trash fight - unless a player really is about to die).

Frog_brains
02.27.2013 , 02:09 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Grouchy_one View Post
Maybe I was being a *****, but during the Gree event, we were waiting for the heroic 4. We saw a guy "accidentally" solo agro the pylon guardian so we decided to help him. Then he went and clicked the panel so we helped him out. When he clicked the panel again and then deliberately agro'd the pylon guardian while we helped him wih the mob, we realized that he was a leech and instead of looking for a group he expected us to "help" him finish the heroic. I told my group to stop attacking the pylon guardian, and as the tank I dragged the guardian away so it would reset. The leech wound up getting the guardian back at 100% health and needless to say he died very quickly without our "help". I don't mind helping (I usually drop the drive by buffs or heals on people), but when people are idiots, I let them reap what they sow.

Lol I was doing this a lot on the gree event me, and my m8 i play with can easily 2 man the guardian with our companions. so we'd kill the boss, do a couple of the "program" droids from the panel while the boss is respawning and we'd be on our way. there were times another group would come in and click the panel while we were fighting the boss. so my way of reminding them who was using the plyon at the time was to tank the boss into the group :P. they would either get killed or help to kill the boss from getting killed by the boss themselves. That would teach them quick.

The other thing is that people i don't think realize the aggro mechanic and the xp, loot allocation in this game very well. Once you or a group member damages any member of that mob they are locked to you, or if the npc is summoned by clicking on a terminal that target and loot is yours no matter who kill it. there is no way to steal the target, the aggro yes but not the credit. I have gotten into conversations with other people who don't understand that and are a bit confused. Once they realize the situation you're ok.

i sometimes like to try activities with different companions or different gear combinations just to see how they work. So I don't welcome the help but i doesn't really bother me either though.

DonkeyGobbler
02.28.2013 , 09:32 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Frog_brains View Post
Lol I was doing this a lot on the gree event me, and my m8 i play with can easily 2 man the guardian with our companions. so we'd kill the boss, do a couple of the "program" droids from the panel while the boss is respawning and we'd be on our way. there were times another group would come in and click the panel while we were fighting the boss. so my way of reminding them who was using the plyon at the time was to tank the boss into the group :P. they would either get killed or help to kill the boss from getting killed by the boss themselves. That would teach them quick.
You don't own the pylon. There are limited pylons and many, many groups - you expect them to wait while you kill three guardians and six mob packs (together with the individual spawn times)? Three groups can quite easily be completing the quest at one pylon simultaneously without tripping over each other much.

Frog_brains
02.28.2013 , 09:34 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DonkeyGobbler View Post
You don't own the pylon. There are limited pylons and many, many groups - you expect them to wait while you kill three guardians and six mob packs (together with the individual spawn times)? Three groups can quite easily be completing the quest at one pylon simultaneously without tripping over each other much.
when i'm there with my group we own the pylon!

DonkeyGobbler
02.28.2013 , 09:48 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Frog_brains View Post
when i'm there with my group we own the pylon!
Well, if you're willing to view it as a competitive situation rather than a god-given right then fair play! We were "battling" with a group of imps there recently, each of us aoeing the ground where the guardian would respawn in the hope of getting the first hit and, ultimately, the kill....

mikebevo
02.28.2013 , 09:56 AM | #28
Just go to the PvP area to do the heroic, no crowds, no wait. Beside the random trooper deciding to use you for target practice until you dispatched the droids and then killed him, it was really no hassle at all. It was also tuned down low enough to be easy to solo. I mean the heroic, of course the trooper was too.

When doing it on the other side. We shared the pylon with a group of imps, and took turns burning the droids. Everyone helping each other and all were flagged from AoE's and healing. I didn't mind that kind of help since it made the quest go extremely fast and it added a new wrinkle making sure I didn't target one of the imp's helping by mistake

Frog_brains
02.28.2013 , 10:03 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DonkeyGobbler View Post
Well, if you're willing to view it as a competitive situation rather than a god-given right then fair play! We were "battling" with a group of imps there recently, each of us aoeing the ground where the guardian would respawn in the hope of getting the first hit and, ultimately, the kill....
yes we understand each other perfectly