Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To Help or Not to Help. That Is The Question

mikebevo
02.22.2013 , 11:10 AM | #1
This is going to be a slightly different thread than the normal threads about people being jerks, this is about people that actually are helpful or at least are trying to be helpful. While doing Section X and the Gree stuff on Ilum, I have seen a few people aggro, not sure purposely or accidently, more than they seem to be able to handle. This presents a dilemma when I am on my sawbones, because when I am playing my Shadow or Sentient I often purposely get myself in those situations to test myself and I really donít want help. However, on my sawbones I donít want anyone, but the enemies, to die anywhere near me. So I will usually watch the fight, ready to drop a heal if the fight looks like a lost cause.

My question is this bad etiquette? Am I breaking some MMO rule? Been playing this since beta, but I still havenít figured this one out.

Just FYI in the PVP area of Ilum, I will not heal you no matter what if you are not in my group. Haven't had problem with Imps there, but have had republic scum attack me over and over.

Tromador
02.22.2013 , 11:58 AM | #2
I do pretty much the same on my seer, if I see someone in trouble I'll chuck a heal their way.

Some MMO games have had issues with this, as "helping" causes a loss of XP. LotRO is (mostly) like this, causing much wailing and gnashing of teeth on their forums about notwanthelpthankyouverymuch as it messes up their XP. Unless they were about to die, in which case they wanted the help... but you have to telepathically deduce if they have all their CDs and can survive on 1 hp long enough to kill the mob.

This game, I've yet to have anyone complain because I've helped them in a fight, only had thanks.

So the answer is that is varies from game to game, depending how the particular MMO is set up. For SWTOR it's fine, I think and for LotRO (as another example) it's ok only in certain circumstances.

The only Imp I've attacked on Ilum was the one who used force leap to attack every set of mobs I was about to hit myself. On the 4th time, him having then caught in my AOE and flagged me, I chased the irritating little snot down and taught him a lesson about not stealing other people's toys.

Khevar
02.22.2013 , 12:29 PM | #3
I've personally only done it if the other player looks like they're in dire straits.

If the companion has died, the player is <10% and the mob is >50% I heal them.

Jeweledleah
02.22.2013 , 01:38 PM | #4
no idea if its bad etiquette, but i compulsively runby buff people and if I can heal - throw them heals. I rarely help kill things though, unless its a spawn I'm waiting for and helping with a kill, means I can get my own spawn faster.

Ridickilis
02.22.2013 , 01:49 PM | #5
I give unsolicited help as well on my healers. I use the same rule of thumb that's already been mentioned; only if it looks like they are going to wipe or if they are 'newish' players. You know the one's, they are spamming their basic attack over and over again. I almost want to whisper to these players but I don't as I'm a bit self conscience that they'll be offended that I'm 'telling them how to play'. Otherwise I just buff them and go.

I'll occasionally help when on a tank or DPS toon but only after they do more damage to the NPC so I don't end up getting credit for the kill, I could see that potentially pissing someone off.

mikebevo
02.22.2013 , 01:58 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
but i compulsively runby buff people
I think the only reason I have 4 different classes leveled was to become a buff master. I love playing new toons and running around buffing f2p players with all four buffs. Espeically loved doing it while pipe jumping doing the datacrons on Coruscant. People would look all around trying to figure out who buffed them. When they looked like they were about to look up. I would stealth.

lazyax
02.22.2013 , 04:47 PM | #7
I like to help players that look like they are struggling, esp on my healer.

There are several bosses ingame that can be helped with outside help and it does not hurt or "steal" the objective. For example, there is a corellia black hole mission (republic side) where you have to kill the wimpy boss Quick-Hands Quarl, usually theres several players helping one player kill this npc. Occasionally, there will be that one player that swears that helping is stealing that npc. There are several npc like this in game. The "key to decryption" boss droid in Section X is another example. Unfortunately not enough players understand this, and scream at you for "helping", but i think most players know, and usually welcome the help, with either dps or heals.

happysister
02.22.2013 , 06:57 PM | #8
i help people too if it looks like they're having a bunch of trouble. doesn't matter which toon i'm on. i usually get a /ty or a /bow when i do so. never had anyone get mad. the F2P players probably appreciate it a lot as they have limited medical droids.
Lorhin - SS/DF Gunslinger
Sashel - Sawbones Scoundrel
<Fortitude>

Elyssandra
02.23.2013 , 03:28 PM | #9
Well... there's this guy who hates it if people help him out
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=594525

Although it stemmed from a mistaken belief that when someone helps him they are taking his XP and loot. *sigh* This is not the case in SWTOR - if you tag a mob the XP and loot is yours.

I help people - heal or kill - had a lot of thanks and noone getting mad yet. I imagine people who get mad over being helped with a mob are not very many in number and I personally don't possess the telepathic ability to determine who these people are.

whatbrick
02.24.2013 , 03:18 PM | #10
I get annoyed when others jump into the middle of the fight because they tend to break any and all CC, and also make it harder to select any given target because of the sea of nameplates. This situation is particularly bad during Darkness on Ilum (and similar encounters) when we call the bad-guys out, CC and start our kill order, then have a gang-bang of other players leap in to "help."

I know they are doing this in order to speed the encounter along so they can get their turn, and that isn't a problem. The problem is that they don't speed up the encounter for the most part because they are just bad at playing their class (probably because they've always had people leap in and "help" them as well). In the worst of cases they have even aggro'd other mobs in the area and extended the encounter. When this happens, my group just does an aggro dump and leaves. We still get credit for the fight and we don't have to worry about the destructive good Samaritan.

I realize people are just wanting to help (and others are too selfish to actually wait for an encounter to finish), but sometimes we just want the challenge of the fight without worrying about the chaos other players create. I like my war nice and tidy, dang-it!

Quote: Originally Posted by Elyssandra View Post
I help people - heal or kill - had a lot of thanks and noone getting mad yet. I imagine people who get mad over being helped with a mob are not very many in number and I personally don't possess the telepathic ability to determine who these people are.
So why do it? Honest question for everyone who likes to help. If the person(s) you are trying to help isn't in any danger, and you can't tell if your help would be appreciated or not, then what's the motivation?

I'm thinking maybe there should be an icon above a player's head that notifies "NOT looking for group" so the people who like to help can focus on the people who would appreciate it more, and so you can leave the players like me alone.