Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

30-54 bracket

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cycao's Avatar


cycao
02.22.2013 , 10:45 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessTeapot View Post
I think you perhaps misunderstood what I intended. The 30-49's in the 30-54 bracket will be slaughtered by the 50-54's in the same bracket. The 50-54's will have WH/EWH, while the rest will be bolstered to Recruit level.

The dev quote I read was that gear will be boosted to Recruit level. It made no mention of creating a new Recruit standard, so it's safe to assume there will not be one.
From what I can tell they will be bolstered past the current recruit level and will have the same expertise as a 54 since recruit gear is no longer in the game.

FearlessTeapot's Avatar


FearlessTeapot
02.22.2013 , 10:53 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
From what I can tell they will be bolstered past the current recruit level and will have the same expertise as a 54 since recruit gear is no longer in the game.
I suppose that would be the point of contention, then. As I understand it, the bolstering will bring you up to current Recruit levels. If that's not the case, then the problem would be moot. Hopefully your interpretation is correct, though I don't think it is.

Mournblood's Avatar


Mournblood
02.22.2013 , 11:03 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
They already had a valor restriction to gear and it sucked and it was back during the days of the RNG bag system which sucked equally as much. They already restrict you on buying gear for levels they really don't need to restrict it anymore based on valor.
Those are two separate issues. RNG was possibly the worst idea for PvP gear rewards ever introduced to an MMO, but it has nothing to do with the prior Valor requirements for gear or this discussion, and as I said, that is easily fixed.

You obviously don't know about the other ways (i.e. other than switching out your gear) to circumvent the bolster system when it's based on gear. If you did, you wouldn't be supporting this new system. And before you ask, I'm not going to volunteer that information because I doubt BW is going to be able to fix it without throwing out the gear-based bolster system, which they won't likely do, and we don't need everyone knowing how to exploit it. If you're truly interested in researching this to make a more informed opinion about the topic, go to the PTS and experiment. It's not that hard to figure out.

cycao's Avatar


cycao
02.22.2013 , 11:16 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
Those are two separate issues. RNG was possibly the worst idea for PvP gear rewards ever introduced to an MMO, but it has nothing to do with the prior Valor requirements for gear or this discussion, and as I said, that is easily fixed.

You obviously don't know about the other ways (i.e. other than switching out your gear) to circumvent the bolster system when it's based on gear. If you did, you wouldn't be supporting this new system. And before you ask, I'm not going to volunteer that information because I doubt BW is going to be able to fix it without throwing out the gear-based bolster system, which they won't likely do, and we don't need everyone knowing how to exploit it. If you're truly interested in researching this to make a more informed opinion about the topic, go to the PTS and experiment. It's not that hard to figure out.
Its broken on the pts now but they have stated that they will have a system in place to prevent the exploit that is going on in the pts. I would also gladly test this on the pts if they have not screwed up my transfer so as of now I am locked out of testing. Something simple such as not allowing to change armoring once you accept a queue would work but honestly I could care less I just want to get the heck out of the bracket and get to 55 because I am more worried about the level of skill that lowbies bring than the potential gear gap that might exist.

MadBernieSkills's Avatar


MadBernieSkills
02.22.2013 , 08:46 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessTeapot View Post
I think you perhaps misunderstood what I intended. The 30-49's in the 30-54 bracket will be slaughtered by the 50-54's in the same bracket. The 50-54's will have WH/EWH, while the rest will be bolstered to Recruit level.

The dev quote I read was that gear will be boosted to Recruit level. It made no mention of creating a new Recruit standard, so it's safe to assume there will not be one.
I think it is very safe to assume it will be not bolstered to 49 or 50. As you say, the 30-49's would be slaughtered. I think they will all be boosted to 54, even if they didn't buy the expansion.

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
02.22.2013 , 08:56 PM | #26
People were complaining about being in recruit VS WH opponents so BW did the only thing they could do, increased the level span so that you now get to face them while being bolstered to recruit, which knowing BW will be completely broken, AND with less abilties (bonus). Did I mention that the majority of lvl 30'es probably don't give a rat's *** about how they're geared so some will enter with a few empty slots. The premades have been lobbying hard for this change so show some gratitude, people.

Zekester's Avatar


Zekester
02.22.2013 , 10:08 PM | #27
Why don't they just do:
10-49 Bracket
50 Bracket
51-55 Bracket?

Seem to make better sense to me. Of course 50s might become slow on queing, but ehh it's only for a level.
30-50 is just stupid.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
02.22.2013 , 10:08 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBernieSkills View Post
They take away all gear from the equation and minimize the skill gap as best as they can.
I guess I'm in the minority here of ppl who actually play the entire game, cuz now I see absolutely no value or reward for all those crafting skills I maxed out.
A legacy of meh
Krackerjšck/Krackerjak (VG/PT) | Krackerjack/Deinon (Mando/Merc) | Dežnon (Jugg) | other stuffs
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
02.22.2013 , 10:47 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here of ppl who actually play the entire game, cuz now I see absolutely no value or reward for all those crafting skills I maxed out.
You used to? I've never wasted energy on crafting while leveling in swtor because you level so fast that by the time you have the mats for the crafting level you're currently on you've already outleveled the product. You basically have to stand around in the fleet for a day and give your companions a head start on the mats missions to be able to be somewhat in sync.

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
02.22.2013 , 10:52 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here of ppl who actually play the entire game, cuz now I see absolutely no value or reward for all those crafting skills I maxed out.
Unless you plan on leveling completely by pvp, your gear still matters in pve.