Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

30-54 bracket

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MadBernieSkills's Avatar


MadBernieSkills
02.22.2013 , 07:54 AM | #11
It won't matter at all. Everyone will be bolstered to level 54. That is probably exactly how good the min/maxers are with their level 50 gear.
It won't be an issue.

I think their solution is perfect. They take away all gear from the equation and minimize the skill gap as best as they can.

FearlessTeapot's Avatar


FearlessTeapot
02.22.2013 , 08:27 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBernieSkills View Post
It won't matter at all. Everyone will be bolstered to level 54. That is probably exactly how good the min/maxers are with their level 50 gear.
It won't be an issue.

I think their solution is perfect. They take away all gear from the equation and minimize the skill gap as best as they can.
From what i read, everyone in lower gear gets bolstered to Recruit level. A level 30-49 in Recruit is still going to get completely humiliated by the 50-54 in WH/EWH. Similar to how fresh 50s work now, except with less skills to use. Beyond 2.0, if you have the tenacity to level via PVP from 30+, you should be studied.

Merras's Avatar


Merras
02.22.2013 , 08:59 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenalandavie View Post
Yes it blows, but you want an extra bracket? and matches never pop? Again reality!!!
There will be tons of players who didn't order the expansion - therefore they will stuck at lvl50. A lvl50-54 bracket should be fine.

At the first few days while I will level my main to 55 I'll absolutely crush lvl30-49 people. Not because I'm an ubergamer but because of WH-EWH mix. And for me this is not really fun - I enjoy PvP when the opposing team has similar chances like my team.

On the other hand I'll go to WZs with my 30+ alts for leveling purposes only. I'll do my 2 daily warzones and I'll not come back for another WZ for fun. And this is not a good change. I enjoyed the lvl10-49 bracket even with my low level characters.

Mournblood's Avatar


Mournblood
02.22.2013 , 09:08 AM | #14
You can't bolster based on gear because as players already discovered on the PTS, you can just queue with no gear, then put it all back on after the WZ starts and be God.

BW should have separated the brackets more, and utilize Valor to gear match queues (which of course would require cross-server queues). Once again, they demonstrate that they have absolutely no idea what they are doing when it comes to PvP.

cycao's Avatar


cycao
02.22.2013 , 09:15 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
You can't bolster based on gear because as players already discovered on the PTS, you can just queue with no gear, then put it all back on after the WZ starts and be God.

BW should have separated the brackets more, and utilize Valor to gear match queues (which of course would require cross-server queues). Once again, they demonstrate that they have absolutely no idea what they are doing when it comes to PvP.
This is from a post on the changes to the expertise system.

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Thank you Rob!!!

Is Bolster an ongoing calculation, or is it determined upon entry into a warzone? I ask because I worry that a player could abuse the new system by equipping lvl 10 green gear, then once the fight begins, switch to his EWH set.
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
It is ongoing, to prevent exactly the abuse you are worried about.
Whats going on in warzones on he pts is pretty lame but they are aware of it and they will (better) get it sorted out so they cannot queue with level 10 greens and throw on their min/maxed gear to cheat the system.


*edit*

and to add about the valor thing. Valor is a meaningless stat. Take it from me, when my jug hit 50 about two weeks ago he was 100% fully min/maxed warhero the same day thanks to legacy gear and storing commendations. You have to base off of gear level.

Mournblood's Avatar


Mournblood
02.22.2013 , 09:31 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
and to add about the valor thing. Valor is a meaningless stat. Take it from me, when my jug hit 50 about two weeks ago he was 100% fully min/maxed warhero the same day thanks to legacy gear and storing commendations. You have to base off of gear level.
Valor as it stands is meaningless now, yes, but they can easily change that and require you to have a specific Valor rank to wear certain gear. Then they could gear match queues. RIFT currently does this, and it's awesome.

Also, the problem with basing bolster on gear isn't just isolated to gear.

Cilas's Avatar


Cilas
02.22.2013 , 10:12 AM | #17
I don't see an issue guys. They are getting rid of war hero and elite war hero so ou won't have any epic gear at level 50 to melt lvl 30s with.
Cilas Vexer Gaming
<Immortals>
YouTube Channel
Live Streaming on Twitch

MadBernieSkills's Avatar


MadBernieSkills
02.22.2013 , 10:18 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessTeapot View Post
From what i read, everyone in lower gear gets bolstered to Recruit level. A level 30-49 in Recruit is still going to get completely humiliated by the 50-54 in WH/EWH. Similar to how fresh 50s work now, except with less skills to use. Beyond 2.0, if you have the tenacity to level via PVP from 30+, you should be studied.
Except that it is 30-54 (not 30-49). So everyone will be bolstered to 54. Recruit gear will not exist. It will be Recruit level 54. So anyone using 50 gear all maxed out will probably be equal to 54 recruit. Or close enough that it won't matter. The augments may make a difference.

cycao's Avatar


cycao
02.22.2013 , 10:24 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
Valor as it stands is meaningless now, yes, but they can easily change that and require you to have a specific Valor rank to wear certain gear. Then they could gear match queues. RIFT currently does this, and it's awesome.

Also, the problem with basing bolster on gear isn't just isolated to gear.
They already had a valor restriction to gear and it sucked and it was back during the days of the RNG bag system which sucked equally as much. They already restrict you on buying gear for levels they really don't need to restrict it anymore based on valor.

FearlessTeapot's Avatar


FearlessTeapot
02.22.2013 , 10:36 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBernieSkills View Post
Except that it is 30-54 (not 30-49). So everyone will be bolstered to 54. Recruit gear will not exist. It will be Recruit level 54. So anyone using 50 gear all maxed out will probably be equal to 54 recruit. Or close enough that it won't matter. The augments may make a difference.
I think you perhaps misunderstood what I intended. The 30-49's in the 30-54 bracket will be slaughtered by the 50-54's in the same bracket. The 50-54's will have WH/EWH, while the rest will be bolstered to Recruit level.

The dev quote I read was that gear will be boosted to Recruit level. It made no mention of creating a new Recruit standard, so it's safe to assume there will not be one.