Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

30-54 bracket

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DaedalusV
02.27.2013 , 04:20 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Actually, I had an idea to keep the brackets how they are (10-29, 30-54, 55) But to remove relative bolster entirely from the level 10-29 bracket and the level 30-54 bracket. Make bolster a constant instead of a dependant. Simply set every stat to a certain value. Some values would be shared, such as min/max weapon damage or alacrity. But, for example, while sorcerers would have the same amount of base power and critical rating and surge rating as a sniper, or a marauder, they would not have the same amount as tanks. Tanks would not have power but instead would have defensive stats, etc.

This system would fix nearly everything. Lowbie PvP is not competitive, it is a fun way to level and thus because it is not constantly competitive like endgame PvP, all stats should be the same regardless of gear (you could even not wear any at all, besides weapons for attacks). Obviously, if you have bonuses to certain stats in your spec, these will take effect in the warzone.

In order for this system to work, a few potential issues would have to be adressed:
While the bolster buff is active (in other words, while in a warzone), disallow the effects of gear. This is so that players cannot do... pretty much what they're doing right now with the bolster bug. Unequipping and reequipping gear. There would be default stat values, plus whatever the skill tree gives.

The system would not be very hard to create. All classes should have the same amount of accuracy, and any class with a tanking tree is a class with 'Stances' (Powertech has Ion Cylinder, Juggernaut has Soresu Form, Assassins have Dark Charge) Thus, if a class is using, say, Surging Charge, it would be given DPS stats. If it switches to Dark Charge, the DPS stat bonuses are taken away and he is given Tank stat bonuses. This raises another question: will players exploit this to simply change forms whenever a situation gets tough? Well, technically players can already do this, but not only is the Tank form junk without a shield, there are already safety measures in place to discourage this. When assassins change forms, it costs 100 force (all of their bar, unless they are using Force-Mystic shells or Deception spec). When Powertechs switch, it has an activation time. When Juggernauts switch, it removes all of their built up rage points.

Bioware, this is the true way to create balanced lowbie PvP. I, for one, have always dreamed of PvP which actually revolves around skill and not gear.
If you want to discuss a new way of handling the bolstering system like that, please use the suggestions forum or start a new thread about it. Your idea has merit and could use it's own thread. This thread is mainly about how the developers have chosen to divide the brackets using the bolstering system they have chosen to use for 2.0 I think a rewrite of the system would be time consuming and not possible for a 2.0 launch.

Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Wrong. Bolster isn't like it was before. It's been stated that bolster ups you to the equivilent of un-augmented EWH gear. A full EWH 50 isn't going to have much of an advantage against a level 30 in purples of his level.
Here's Rob's reply for your convenience.

Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
Hey gang, let me see if I can bring some clarity to the situation. We do indeed have a new level of "Recruit" that we are bolstering towards, that is based on the new 55 gear. We believe that this bolster level will allow players to complete with any possible gear combination in the 30 - 54 bracket. Obviously we've had a few bumps in the road on PTS regarding current bolster, but we should be getting that fixed up soon (tm), and everyone can get back to the business of PvP.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, not just on this but on everything, it is really helping us make a better game.
And another one concerning the new bolstering system:
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post

In a major upcoming Game Update, everything changes, woo! Expertise still touches the same 3 functions (damage out, damage in, and healing out), but is no longer is a diminished return value, you get the same increase in power for the same increase in expertise, regardless of going from 0 to 20 or 2000 to 2020. We've also cranked up just how much expertise enhances each of these functions, so having good expertise is more important than ever. Additionally, expertise is no longer a stat that will grow throughout a tier of items, all PvP gear will generate the same total of expertise (caveat: This statement only applies starting with the new gear in the new update. Previous PvP gear will not quite have the fully intended expertise totals).

The bigger change is in how we bolster and add stats to players to even out the playing field. Instead of focusing on player level, now the bolster system will take a look at each individual item on your character and use that as the baseline assumption of power for that item slot. We then bolster each slot up to what we feel is the "entry level" of PvP power, at which we think everyone can be happy playing without getting simply out geared to death. Effectively, we bolster players to something like what our recruit gear set tries to do now in 1.7, but with much better accuracy and effect. Additionally, the bolster system will now grant players expertise when it feels it is necessary, bringing our entry-level power gap even closer to the end-game PvP power.

All of this put together should make our Warzone matches much more about skill in this future game update, and less about people who simply aren't in the correct gear, while still giving our PvPers some better gear out there to strive for.

Thanks for listening!
(the preface concerning how they handle bolster in 1.7 has been edited out for brevity.)

L-RANDLE has found that bolster on the test center doesn't do what they intend it to do (numbers doesn't match) This may be related to the known bug in the system people misuse for funzies. (human nature, meh)

Rob has been very active in this thread, so I urge people to keep it alive with posts that vaguely stay on topic (where should the brackets divide in 2.0 according to us, the players)
There's a post from Rob in this thread stating that the divide at 30 isn't set in stone. So let's get some opinions on the table (preferably on topic)
"you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
Arwyn Sage Blitzkrieger Sentinel Sk'ye Guardian

Briggs_Knightly
03.08.2013 , 06:49 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Merras View Post
However the most viable solution to PVP problems is the removal of Expertise / PVP only gear. 2.0 would be a perfect patch to remove expertise.
The most viable solution to PVP problems in SWTOR is GW2 or WoW.
/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_
EA/BW: Please FIRE all who worked on PVP for incompetence. Thx.
50-Merc 50-Op 50-VG 40-GunS 50-Jug 50-Shadow 40-Sent 40-Sorc
OK, I have given up on EA/BW! Any suggestions for my next game?

Edonidd
03.08.2013 , 10:42 PM | #123
Maybe I missed it, or maybe it was so obvious to everyone else that they didn't even have to say anything. But what I really wonder about is how the bolster will handle fully BiS PvE players who join a WZ?

Right now there is a definite difference in stats between EWH and Dread Guard or whatever the level 63 PvE gear is. If players could wear that gear with better stats and then get their expertise bolstered up to even just recruit level, they would be a force to reckon with right now. From what I see in the expansion, PvE gear is getting SIGNIFICANTLY better than PvP gear. To the point where even without expertise the hilts and barrels from top PvE gear looks BiS already for PvP. Maybe the armorings too. Also in the expansion the expertise gap between top of the line BiS and normal recruit looks much lower.

TLDR - If PvE players come to a Warzone in full raid gear, will they be bolstered up expertise wise and still have better main stats too?

MidichIorian
03.08.2013 , 10:51 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
.......how the bolster will handle fully BiS PvE players who join a WZ??
It will handle it by....

.......them still being PvE players. The so called PvP'ers are bad at this game, I don't think we have to worry about the dragon slayers.

Zunayson
03.09.2013 , 08:17 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
It will handle it by....

.......them still being PvE players. The so called PvP'ers are bad at this game, I don't think we have to worry about the dragon slayers.
^This, also the current bolster system only gives them a laughable 800 expertise, my WH gear gives me about 1700ish, but I haven't updated my gear to include those expertise crystals n stuff.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box