Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

30-54 bracket

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rylorn
02.25.2013 , 04:02 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
Ya, the bolster will work for level 55s as well, if they are under geared. Could you post the stats on what you are seeing on PTS for your guy wearing legacy gear (or send the information to CommunitySupport@swtor.com, subject: ATTN Rob Hinkle, if you don't want to dirty up the thread). It certainly is the intention that your 55 wearing level 35 gear should get bolstered back up. To give everyone an idea (and BIG caveat here, this number is still in flux), but currently I would expect the new 55 bolster to be getting people into gear right around (statistically) non-augmented EWH.
Level 55 players are being bolstered? This sounds a little crazy to me. I always thought of the bolster system as something to compensate for players of different levels being placed together in matches so that queues could pop faster, and that bolster was not meant to replace gear for players that are of even level.

I think Bolster should not be a factor at all in the 55 bracket. That is why recruit gear was made so easy to obtain. A game needs to feel grounded by reality, even if that reality is entirely virtual and fictional. A "magical" feeling system that makes gear matter less is going to uproot me from that reality. For lower brackets, I totally understand. But, for 55, where everyone is going to be that level for a very long time, players will easily have the chance to make up for any poor gear and achieve a sense of progression and feel like their gear is improving. Using bolster at 55 to circumvent some of that feels wrong to the core.

Even if you give out completely free starting pvp gear, I like that solution more. Gear should determine how strong a characters stats are. The bolster system feels very black box and I don't trust it. Meanwhile, there are great systems in place to view and effect how my gear's stats add up and impact my character.
A long time ago in an MMO far,
far away. . .

Approxy Reftach [Illegal Test Kitchen] The Bastion

SOULCASTER
02.25.2013 , 04:17 PM | #92
Obviously we've had a few bumps in the road on PTS regarding current bolster, but we should be getting that fixed up soon (tm), and everyone can get back to the business of PvP..
Soon(tm)....I like how even the devs mock their own worth ethic.
Prophecy of the Five
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Altoholic

SOULCASTER
02.25.2013 , 04:22 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaika View Post
Think about all the lvl 29 ptech twinks there will be haha.
Yeah, for about 12 warzones...until they get a level and are then pinned up against the level 54 twink Ptechs
Prophecy of the Five
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Altoholic

dcrow
02.25.2013 , 04:45 PM | #94
Bolster in 55 is stupid at that level aint **** to do but grind gear anyway. Now no real incentive anymore.
Give bolster all the way up to 54 but thats it.
Pre-Ordered on July 21

HotStuff_SW
02.25.2013 , 04:47 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Can I also make another suggestion? On your level 55 PvP gear, the armor rating needs to match the new PvE gear armor ratings, especially if Bolster will affect anyone not wearing PVP gear. If I am mistaken on this, some insight would be helpful.
I didn't want this to get lost. The armor, hilt, and barrel ratings need to match the new PVE gear ratings. They currently do not. The difference between the top PVE gear and the top PVP gear should only be the stats, not the ratings. Expertise to keep PvP gear best for PvP, and higher main and secondary (even tertiary) stats to keep PvE gear best for PvE. The ratings should be the same, however, and currently are not.

Ottoattack
02.25.2013 , 04:53 PM | #96
I am forseeing some problems in the new bracket system, mostly in the short term.

For the short term you have the following problems:

1- People in maxed out PvP gear playing against low level enemies. And while I see it visible to have a bloaster that brings the main stats and endurance to level 55, I do not see this working for other stats like surge, crtic, etc.. If you get bloastered based on your current gear composition people at level 50, who are well optimized, will have huge edge, because their stats are optimal, where at level 30 you wear whatever is available.

2- The 30-54 bracket will have skill matching problems. You will have someone who have played 10-15 games with their character matched against someone who have played couple of hundred games with their character (more than thousand for some). You can still face that in 50 WZs currently, but its kind of rare. I am seeing this as the biggest problem that the new system will have.

3- For the first 2 weeks, not enough people will get to level 55, and the 55 WZs will have long wait times.

Solution:

Have two brackets at the launch of the expansion as follows:
10-49 and 50-55. Make the bloaster takes level 50 wearing PvP gear to somewhere close to what will be the new WH gear as of now. After two-three weeks. Switch to 10-29, 30-54 and 55 brackets. People at level 50 who PvP regularly will not have a huge problem being slightly under geared against people at level 55, and skill level should be semi equal across the board.

Long term problems:

1- The level 10-29 seems a bit of a small bracket. I do not have population counts to make analysis (I am sure BW does), if the 10-29 bracket became 10-34 and the next bracket became 35-54 seems like a better idea, as long as waiting times are below 60 secs.

Defecter
02.25.2013 , 04:56 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by dcrow View Post
Bolster in 55 is stupid at that level aint **** to do but grind gear anyway. Now no real incentive anymore.
Give bolster all the way up to 54 but thats it.
One guy says 'OMG! I hate it when undergeared people join *my* WZ.'

Another guy says 'OMG! I hate it when people are on a relatively equal playing field!'

Sometimes I truly do feel sorry for the devs who have to balance all sides to come to a solution that doesn't create a massive dungstorm (an impossibility with MMOs btw).

I for one applaud this change. There is still a good reason to grind gear, as you get bolstered to a non-augmented EWH equivalent without any set bonuses nor any min/maxing. People who grind their gear and put effort into it, will still have an edge. It won't be as wide as the Grand Canyon, like it is now, but there will still be an edge in favour of those who actually have the gear.

PvP with less emphasis on stats and more on skill, yes please.

L-RANDLE
02.25.2013 , 09:23 PM | #98
Ya, the bolster will work for level 55s as well, if they are under geared. Could you post the stats on what you are seeing on PTS for your guy wearing legacy gear (or send the information to CommunitySupport@swtor.com, subject: ATTN Rob Hinkle, if you don't want to dirty up the thread). It certainly is the intention that your 55 wearing level 35 gear should get bolstered back up. To give everyone an idea (and BIG caveat here, this number is still in flux), but currently I would expect the new 55 bolster to be getting people into gear right around (statistically) non-augmented EWH.
Here you go Rob.
Im in legacy gear with lvl 33 purples or less.
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18b09e65.png

When I enter PVP, I get a 273EXP boost and AIM boost to 1289(+177) and END boost to 1210(+225)
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5a9479eb.png

While this might be recruit level, the issue with 30-54 and 55 brackets is that the EXP boost on gear in the current system will severely outpace this bolster as the removal of the DR and the lack of gear upgrades until 55 will produce a large gear gap in the 30-54. The 55 bracket will suffer as well since the Partisan gear has more EXP and other stats than even elite WH does, let alone the Conqueror gear. I know eventually EWH will get to 55, but the intital shock might be too much for lower level or new entries to PVP to bare.

I am not sure how you solve this besides increasing the EXP boost. I understand you don't want to trivialize PVP gear, but if you are not geared in the current system, 2.0 could reintroduce some of the same gear issues we have now, where a fresh 50, without decent PVE gear, feels like a punching bag.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

mtsr
02.26.2013 , 05:47 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Check out the expertise thread thats on this forum. Any low level toon with 0 expertise will be bolstered up to w/e the max level is on the highest level in the warzone. They are bolstering off of the player stats and not level anymore.
here this look above

/thread
From the KOTORS *8 years exp in mmo's

Yamahara
02.26.2013 , 07:40 AM | #100
10-49, 50-54, then 55 should be how it goes. Sure.... I'll take the bolster stat for 55 lol..my current modded gear has stats just about the same as 55 vind ranked gear minus the expertise and 3 less endurance :P
Lukewarm Tauntauns
Satene Sataru
http://www.swtor.com/r/skFjn8 Help me help you!