Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hybrid DPS still viable 2.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Hybrid DPS still viable 2.0?

verfallen
02.28.2013 , 01:56 PM | #21
So did some testing.

just as in 1,7, going for a heavy lightning build and up madness just for wrath is really not worth it.

Basically, you are hoping RNG gods will love you enough to give you enough wrath proc to keep Crushing Darkness on cooldown, AND keep LS force damage bonus up.

If in my parse I consider the time between a polarity shift burst, its just not happening.

Sometimes, I can proceed with a normal madness rotation. other time I have to break it in order to fall in a lightning rotation and keep the buff up, because wrath was too shy.

(in between all other attack, affliction DoT refresh, etc, consider the first 10 sec of CD's cooldown as the *LS wrath* period. I normally have both affliction and DF to refresh then. So thats 3 sec off. I now have 7 second left to cast 2 FL. 9x30% chance of getting Wrath. Lets say I normally get it. I then have 30% chance of the refresh. Lets say I don't get it, I have a 60% chance of getting an instant CL who can get me the refresh (another 30%)) If that fails, next rotation I'll be within 10 sec of losing the buff, and said buff is, in the end, only compensating for the DoT damage I loss from higher up madness talents.)

When I do that, I'm a poor lightning spec. Alternatively, I'll miss a DF or a CD cooldown.

Its ackward, and takes way too much focus (which harder ops don't allow you if you need to pay attention to things in your environmment) and stupid luck.

The sole good point of the spec is the burst compared to madness, but guess what? Lightning does it better than you do.

For me, the 2/16/28 hybrid seems to be doing the best.

Powerful Deathfields, mobility, instant LS/CL when the proc loves you, but if they don't for a while, its not rotation breaking.

You have less on demand burst, but the sustained is significantly better.

In summary :

I don't see specs we see shared around like 2/28/16 in any other place than a pvp arena.

In THAT I suppose the spec will have a lot of potential to burn someone with polarity shift up. LS spam/CL/DF/shock is a lot of damage very fast.

AdmiralParmesan
02.28.2013 , 03:27 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
So did some testing.

just as in 1,7, going for a heavy lightning build and up madness just for wrath is really not worth it.

Basically, you are hoping RNG gods will love you enough to give you enough wrath proc to keep Crushing Darkness on cooldown, AND keep LS force damage bonus up.

If in my parse I consider the time between a polarity shift burst, its just not happening.

Sometimes, I can proceed with a normal madness rotation. other time I have to break it in order to fall in a lightning rotation and keep the buff up, because wrath was too shy.

(in between all other attack, affliction DoT refresh, etc, consider the first 10 sec of CD's cooldown as the *LS wrath* period. I normally have both affliction and DF to refresh then. So thats 3 sec off. I now have 7 second left to cast 2 FL. 9x30% chance of getting Wrath. Lets say I normally get it. I then have 30% chance of the refresh. Lets say I don't get it, I have a 60% chance of getting an instant CL who can get me the refresh (another 30%)) If that fails, next rotation I'll be within 10 sec of losing the buff, and said buff is, in the end, only compensating for the DoT damage I loss from higher up madness talents.)

When I do that, I'm a poor lightning spec. Alternatively, I'll miss a DF or a CD cooldown.

Its ackward, and takes way too much focus (which harder ops don't allow you if you need to pay attention to things in your environmment) and stupid luck.

The sole good point of the spec is the burst compared to madness, but guess what? Lightning does it better than you do.

For me, the 2/16/28 hybrid seems to be doing the best.

Powerful Deathfields, mobility, instant LS/CL when the proc loves you, but if they don't for a while, its not rotation breaking.

You have less on demand burst, but the sustained is significantly better.

In summary :

I don't see specs we see shared around like 2/28/16 in any other place than a pvp arena.

In THAT I suppose the spec will have a lot of potential to burn someone with polarity shift up. LS spam/CL/DF/shock is a lot of damage very fast.
just remember that chain lightning is also a source for the bonus damage proc. With the buffs to the lightning storm proc any time you see 3 targets near each other is basically a free chain lightning. As you said lightning strike is inconsistent to use on for this. Still I'll see for myself, I'll probably be trying this build sometime this afternoon, but as a full lightning junkie I can't get over the buffs to my favorite spec.

on a side not the crit rating nerf makes me
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

verfallen
03.01.2013 , 10:41 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralParmesan View Post
just remember that chain lightning is also a source for the bonus damage proc. With the buffs to the lightning storm proc any time you see 3 targets near each other is basically a free chain lightning. As you said lightning strike is inconsistent to use on for this. Still I'll see for myself, I'll probably be trying this build sometime this afternoon, but as a full lightning junkie I can't get over the buffs to my favorite spec.

on a side not the crit rating nerf makes me
LS proc lightning storm much more now, so the 2/16/28 works very well.

Also I'm thinking of raid builds.

If they fix the crit % perhaps the build will have more value from the 50% crit bonus on LS/CL, but again I doubt it a bit.

But I do not think a 6% damage overall manage to compensate the overall DoT bonus damage on DF, nor the extra crit damage on LS/CL, which you use significantly less when you have wrath.

AdmiralParmesan
03.01.2013 , 01:05 PM | #24
after hitting 1.2 million on my first game as hybrid dps I have to lean towards saying it is OP. Mind you that was a long game with some healer hitting 1,7 million but its a shame to see the hybrids will still outpace the full point specs.

verfallen
03.01.2013 , 10:24 PM | #25
after hitting 1.2 million on my first game as hybrid dps I have to lean towards saying it is OP. Mind you that was a long game with some healer hitting 1,7 million but its a shame to see the hybrids will still outpace the full point specs.
We still have no idea yet what average wz will yield damage wise with new values and no DR on expertise. Before calling it OP, I'd wait. Its very aoe heavy, so you'll get very high number with that and affliction spam.

I can tell you its better than before but far from OP on the dummy.

AdmiralParmesan
03.03.2013 , 04:05 PM | #26
With the correct hybrid spec your lightning strikes should be hitting for around 5k on crit even without proc. That and with full powered chain lightnings, lightning barrage and deathfeild you will be putting out a lot of damage.

I still prefer the full lightning spec for its more controlled burst, but I also perfer full lightning even now without 2.0

You are right though it is a little early to annouce if something is OP or not. Still it disgusts me that once again our best option may be hybrid dps again.

verfallen
03.03.2013 , 05:37 PM | #27
With the correct hybrid spec your lightning strikes should be hitting for around 5k on crit even without proc. That and with full powered chain lightnings, lightning barrage and deathfeild you will be putting out a lot of damage.

I still prefer the full lightning spec for its more controlled burst, but I also perfer full lightning even now without 2.0

You are right though it is a little early to annouce if something is OP or not. Still it disgusts me that once again our best option may be hybrid dps again.
Madness upper tree seems to show very nice effects for pvp.

The hybrid is the more damage loaded, and turret cast spec struggle more in the fast moving pvp (LoS, interrupt etc).

Polarity shifts lower cd and longer duration will imo improve lightning, but as far as pve is concerned all numbers reported for hybrid, madness and lightning are all very close. Most dps spec report around 2,5k-2,6k. Only PT hybrid is significantly higher (3k) and will most likely be nerfed (most likely link the AP tree to its correct cylinder charge)