Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hybrid DPS still viable 2.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Hybrid DPS still viable 2.0?

Darth_Nihilis
02.21.2013 , 09:01 PM | #1
Currently running the 1/12/28 hybrid dps build for pve. With all the changes to the trees looks like they are pushing lightning a bit more. So will the hybrid build/rotation still be viable for strong dps or should we switch over to lightning.
J E N ' J I D A I
. . Website . | . Join Us . .
Darth Nihlus - Sith Sorcerer
Darth Nephilim - Sith Juggernaut

Larry_Dallas
02.22.2013 , 02:01 AM | #2
http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-...2000000&ver=20

I don't see how something like this is that dissimilar to the current build. The rotation won't be the same (lightning strike can hit pretty hard now).

As for if it can match lightning spec in single target? Not really knowing the new rotation and when to use lightning strike or shock, I have no idea, but I doubt it. Lightning spec seems to have gotten a monstrous damage increase (thundering blast used to burst for 4.6 k like clockwork...and now it can hit twice...crushing darkness doubleticks...polarity shift is available more often). Even the filler skill hits 25% harder. Lightning may very well outdamage powertechs at this point. Possibly snipers.

The only sorc skill that didn't get a buff is force lightning, so it might be that barrage is a lot less valuable than going full madness or full lightning.

Sylvan
02.22.2013 , 06:20 AM | #3
Previously I've been running a dot based death field build, with a few points in lightening to lower my costs and boost damage. With the changes to Madness tree (almost all of them bad) I feel I need to slip more into lightening.

Now I don't know how viable this build will be without testing, certainly I expect to run into force regen problems in really long fights, but potentially this has the scope to dish out some massively dps, and most of that mobile burst ( with a bit of setup on the proc front, but still)

The idea of being able to dish out an instant death field, affliction and then with a blast of force lightening an instant crushing darkness, then with another blast of force lightening lightening strike which would hopefully make my chain lightening instant....well, that is kinda nuts. I know a fair chunk of that is dependant on procs and you still need to channel the force lightening, but still. It might work out.

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-...0000000&ver=20
Jen'doon............Harkal Moravian

Fireswraith
02.22.2013 , 08:22 PM | #4
I tried this hybrid on the PTS, 0/30/16. So far it's pretty bad *****; double shocks/lightning strikes/chain lightnings, deathfield, no cd force lightning, wraith proc.

verfallen
02.22.2013 , 11:12 PM | #5
I will probably go 2/16/28.

Fairly sure instant CL will be a better addition than 4% alacrity, and suffision being lower you have no need to go higher than lightning storm imo.

The 2 points in corruption will go either on alac or crit. I'm downloading pts tonight to see how it fares.

Bagleplayer
02.23.2013 , 12:59 AM | #6
Yes all the specs should scale I think and hybrid will get even better with more points to mess around with. I did some parses with the specs above and it just didn't work as well as plain hybrid. The problem is that instant chain lightning needs lightning strikes and you are forced to use wrath on lightning strike which creates issues with trying to keep crushing darkness up and using lightning strike during its cool down along with force lightning to get procs which sometimes don't happen and you end up with chain lightning sitting on your bar for no reason and all the skills in the lightning tree are wasted. It just come down to the fact that using 2 different fillers for 2 different things just doesn't work as well. I'm not saying they are terrible just not as good as plain hybrid.

This is the spec I used for hybrid and this is a parse using it.
The other specs above didn't do much worse, I managed to keep around 2500 with them which isn't that bad and they might even be more useful with adds and trash when it comes to chain lightning, we'll just have to wait and see, after all this is just on a dummy which is only gives you a general idea.

Larry_Dallas
02.23.2013 , 02:10 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Bagleplayer View Post
Yes all the specs should scale I think and hybrid will get even better with more points to mess around with. I did some parses with the specs above and it just didn't work as well as plain hybrid. The problem is that instant chain lightning needs lightning strikes and you are forced to use wrath on lightning strike which creates issues with trying to keep crushing darkness up and using lightning strike during its cool down along with force lightning to get procs which sometimes don't happen and you end up with chain lightning sitting on your bar for no reason and all the skills in the lightning tree are wasted. It just come down to the fact that using 2 different fillers for 2 different things just doesn't work as well. I'm not saying they are terrible just not as good as plain hybrid.

The other specs above didn't do much worse, I managed to keep around 2500 with them which isn't that bad and they might even be more useful with adds and trash when it comes to chain lightning, we'll just have to wait and see, after all this is just on a dummy which is only gives you a general idea.
What did you do for itemization, if you don't mind my asking? Not looking for an AMR profile, just a quick and dirty summary.

verfallen
02.23.2013 , 02:25 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bagleplayer View Post

I'm actually in a progression raid team with 0/18/23 currently. Most people say as you do, but i get the number I need for a place on the raid team, and I constantly beat my pure madness spec parse with it. I actually like it because its complex, so fun to play, and mobile.

EVERYTHING gets a boost. Damage wise, but also % wise. CL is mostly used as a nice burst filler, or your numbers drop. Using LS with wrath is probably a big enough hitter now dps wise, so even a 2-3 sec delay on CD is probably not that much of a loss over a wrath siting in your bar for 10 seconds.

As said, downloading tonight so I'll see how it fares.

AngusFTW
02.23.2013 , 07:18 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Fireswraith View Post
I tried this hybrid on the PTS, 0/30/16. So far it's pretty bad *****; double shocks/lightning strikes/chain lightnings, deathfield, no cd force lightning, wraith proc.

I also found myself in this build after experimenting around with hybrids and it will be an awesome burst pvp build IMO. The buffed up lightning strike with 30% extra crit dmg from wrath hits like a truck as does chain lightning not to mention you also get death field in the deal. To me it seems like you wouldn't even use crushing darkness all that much in this because of how hard lightning strike can burst and ofc insta chain lightning procs.. I'm not sure if bioware even intended for lightning strike to hit so hard under a hybrid build. No idea how it compares to others but i think in pvp this build will be very nice since its all instant and the buffed up lightning strike gives alot of burst when it crits

Heres a quick very sloppy vid (on a sage though which is lvl 45 on live.. couldnt get my sorc accross) i did trying to demonstrate the burst potential of this spec. Obviously with full lvl 55 gear it will hit even harder and crit more. For pve i'm not too sure but i can def see this working well in pvp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTMq...ature=youtu.be
That guy with all the fat pink twileks with bleez in the name.
TOFN/TRE/much eu much wow
twitch.tv/bleezlord

ZeppFreeloader
02.23.2013 , 09:49 AM | #10
I'm looking at that build and asking myself if there would be a way to get six points into corruption for sap strength, which would be a great survival tool. Also, putting two points in Corruption could make Overload a heal, which might be helpful.

Still playing with the build I am thinking of, but I am almost certain I will be going Hybrid.