Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightning 2.0

malicnchains
02.21.2013 , 01:56 PM | #1
So I have read the patch notes and I see that BW has finally upped lightnings damage some what.So my question is ; is it enough to make lightning finally viable for pvp??

AdmiralParmesan
02.21.2013 , 01:59 PM | #2
I hope so, sadly it won't let me copy my sorc to the pts. Which ironically is the only 50 I want to try
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

Larry_Dallas
02.21.2013 , 02:21 PM | #3
Still installing the pte, but from what I can tell from the patch notes, they upped damage and whacked resource management, taking the rotation from force positive to, possibly, strongly force negative. I'll have a better idea when I can get log in and get to a dummy with an active parser.

Laforet
02.21.2013 , 02:31 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by malicnchains View Post
So I have read the patch notes and I see that BW has finally upped lightnings damage some what.So my question is ; is it enough to make lightning finally viable for pvp??
From my observations in the PTS, full EWH gear yada yada at lvl 55:

- No substantial damage buff, you would think our damage has been buffed but the damage other classes do has been "more buffed" than our damage, putting us even further behind in the "burst race" which is PvP

- No substantial improvements for PvP

- Still non viable

Granted i didnt test the sorc with the new PvP gear tho, but i doubt the situation will change.

2.0 status = big dissapointment

Scum and villainy indeed
Believer - Seer - Fatman - RETIRED

cidbahamut
02.21.2013 , 02:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Larry_Dallas View Post
Still installing the pte, but from what I can tell from the patch notes, they upped damage and whacked resource management, taking the rotation from force positive to, possibly, strongly force negative. I'll have a better idea when I can get log in and get to a dummy with an active parser.
The resource management aspect has me worried. That's one thing I love about Lightning spec, even if I'm not pumping out monstrous damage I always seem to have plenty of force in reserve for spot healing or bubbles if the situation calls for it. If the upped force costs send that all out the window I'm gonna be one sad Sorcerer.

malicnchains
02.21.2013 , 02:55 PM | #6
I was hoping they would finally make lightning more bursty (what it rightfully should be).Madness is alright but lightning is more my style ,it's kind of disappointing to hear but it's only the ptr so im trying to stay optimistic here !!

Larry_Dallas
02.21.2013 , 03:12 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
The resource management aspect has me worried. That's one thing I love about Lightning spec, even if I'm not pumping out monstrous damage I always seem to have plenty of force in reserve for spot healing or bubbles if the situation calls for it. If the upped force costs send that all out the window I'm gonna be one sad Sorcerer.
You and I are of the same mind. The turrety aspect of this class drives me nuts but the ability to switch to doing a number of other things (off healing, kiting, covering a lot of ground, rooting mobs that get loose from a tank so he's got 5 seconds to recover aggro) on the fly without running out of resources (which can happen when you try to do this stuff specced madness) is the entire reason I like the spec.

I also don't like that tumult is gone. Loved that skill

Elvandar
02.21.2013 , 08:48 PM | #8
If you've tested Lightning and not noticed a significant damage increase then you're not playing it properly. The numbers Lightning can put out are far better than they have been previously and after parsing with every class at 55 Lightning sorc was one of the strongest. This will of course be hindered by it's more complex rotation, but despite this most of our abilities are doing substantially more damage. Even in the new operation after a wipe I switched from madness to lightning and we downed the boss much, much quicker than the first attempt.

In terms of PVP I'm still unsure if it'll be viable in warzones due to survivability but it is more than worthy of a 1v1 or PVE spec.

I'll say this simply. Those who were hoping for a more bursty feel, Lightning definitely has some serious burst now.

Ghost_Spectre
02.22.2013 , 01:21 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
Well, I tested it on a dummy. I ran through everything I could as fast as I could and I barely moved the force bar past 89%. There is no decline in force management whatsoever, if anything, it's better.

Few things I noticed:

1. Thundering Blast hit for an average of 5500 with Affliction on a single hit.
2. Chain Lightning proc'd almost every time I fired off Thundering Blast
3. Lightning Strike hit for 4k, more when it double strike, even more when it forked!
4. Shocked hit in the 3k range.
5. Force Lightning with Lightning Barrage and Polarity Shift all but fired off in an instant cast and still did more overall damage according to my parser.
6. Crushing Darkness & Affliction hit a lot harder.

Now, I was only wearing Arkanian gloves and boots, with implants, ear piece, main and off-hand. So my surge and critical chances were down however, my Will Power was 2600 and my bonus damage was 1200 (or there about). My numbers were off because I wasn't wearing full Arkanian gear. So the damage numbers were off because of that. This is the build I used: 2/39/5.

Still, the one thing that bothers me is these few observations:

1. Limited Mobility.
2. Limited to no change in survivability compared to the hybrid build I am current using: 20/21.
3. Lightning Spec tree still turns you into a turret.

What really sucks is in either Corruption & Madness trees they have the following:

1. Corrupted Speed (Corruption): Where it increases duration of Force Speed by 1 second and when Force Barrier ends, it immediately cools down Force Speed.
2. Shapeless Soul (Madness): Reduces damage while stunned by 30%.

And in Lightning Tree:
1. Force Haste: Reduces cool down of Force Speed by 5, Force Slow by 3, and Force Barrier by 30 seconds.

These two should be in the first or second tier and available to all who can spec for it, including Force Haste. As it is, the Healing Sorcerer or Madness Sorcerer is far more mobile now than new Lightning Sorcerer is.

Oh, and when 2.0 launches, we'll still have 41 points and unable to spec into the upper tiers unless we do so without putting anything in the other trees until we reach level 55. Isn't that just wonderful?

So in my opinion, nothing has changed. Corruption and Madness remain viable in PvP while Lightning is not based solely on the mobility factor. So I guess I will stay a Hybrid, if not, I guess I retire my Sorcerer never to play this spec again. These Devs truly do not care about addressing the single most important factor to the Sorcerer's survivability when it comes to Lightning, mobility. They want us to be a turret so the super buffed LOLSmash Monkeys can earn their medals along with the others. Sadly, 1.4 forced me to retire my Marauder from play because of the changes to resolve, now it looks like the one AC I enjoyed playing the most because of the challenge and playability will end up the same way.

Thank you BioWare for fracking up the Sorcerer as part of your big balancing act and internal God forsaken metrics!

Elvandar
02.22.2013 , 06:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost_Spectre View Post
Thank you BioWare for fracking up the Sorcerer as part of your big balancing act and internal God forsaken metrics!
Due to all the stat exploiting it remains unclear whether or not lightning will be viable in PVP. With the significant damage increase, our new ability and the changes to chain lightning it may very well turn out to be half decent in PVP. Yes Lightning spec is a turret, but so are snipers, they're just a little better at it than us since their entire class is based around it.

What we do know is overall these changes have made the class a lot better across the board. Bioware clearly aren't good at balance based on their past record, but I for one am very impressed with the changes we've got. I cannot wait to test them all out properly in a legit pvp environment.

These changes are good Bioware! You're definitely on the right track now. I'm not saying we don't need more work, but good job so far.