Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shields now work against enegy/kinetic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Shields now work against enegy/kinetic

mrpayday
02.20.2013 , 10:19 PM | #1
"Personal shield generators are now effective against all attacks that deal Energy and Kinetic Damage, rather than just direct weapon attacks."

Sounds like some sort of buff for PvP tanks.

muhidin
02.21.2013 , 01:08 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by mrpayday View Post
"Personal shield generators are now effective against all attacks that deal Energy and Kinetic Damage, rather than just direct weapon attacks."

Sounds like some sort of buff for PvP tanks.

Good, now snipers won't be the only people who cry when they go up against tanks in pvp LOL.

ArchangelLBC
02.21.2013 , 01:11 AM | #3
Incoming: Tank classes actually wearing tank gear and being very tough to kill.

Also incoming: DPS specs favoring internal/elemental damage if possible.

Very nice change, only took them a year to do it.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

NoTomorrow
02.21.2013 , 02:35 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Incoming: Tank classes actually wearing tank gear and being very tough to kill.

Also incoming: DPS specs favoring internal/elemental damage if possible.

Very nice change, only took them a year to do it.
The segregation between specs will be much more greater. Specs like carnage, even if they ignore armor, they will have to deal with the shields, and since crit rating has received a nerf across the board, you will not be able to override shielding with your own crit chance that often.

Overall i see a more specialized, and important role for tank buster specs. Carnage will be weaker against tanks, Smash will be weaker against tanks, sorc DPS will be weaker against tanks, Concealment will be terrible against tanks (kinetic damage mostly).

Snipers don't really care about this nerf apart from lower crit chances which will make MM mitigated more often. The only spec that will have slighly worse performance is engineering because it will be no longer able to bypass shields with frag grenades, explosive probe and interrogation probe.

Lethality will now be LETHALITY, a spec in its own league, extremely valued for being capable to actually bring Tanks down. What other spec can do that? Probably Pyrotech and that's about it. Madness has crushing darkness doing kinetic damage. AP must see how the tree has been reworked. cannot judge. And Pyrotech has Railshots vulnerable to shielding and defense. In the end, Lethality may end up as the most reliably tank buster in the game.

So yeah boys and girls, time to protect your lethality snipers and support them if you want thse budies to help you with your tank problem.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Individual
02.21.2013 , 03:30 AM | #5
One thing I don't understand and maybe someone can break this down for me. When we say "energy / kinetic" do, force users fall in that area? To me, that seems more like tech users.

AdmiralParmesan
02.21.2013 , 03:37 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Individual View Post
One thing I don't understand and maybe someone can break this down for me. When we say "energy / kinetic" do, force users fall in that area? To me, that seems more like tech users.
most force abilities are kinetic/energy. For example for the sorc class

Force lightning, chain lightning, shock, lightning strike and crushing darkness all deal kinetic/energy damage so their damage is mitigated by armor and soon to be shield rating. It is a general misconception that force abilities bypass armor as most do not.

This change worries me as when I play as sorc dps I can't do any real damage on a tank as is, so this may make it a lot worse. I have yet to play on the pts so the other changes my cancel it out. Worst comes to worst ill hop on my sniper and roll lethality.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

LordExozone
02.21.2013 , 03:41 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Individual View Post
You confuse damage types with attack types.

Attack types: Melee, Ranged, Force, Tech.

Melee and Ranged can be defended against by the defense and shield stat (i.e. you can dodge/shield them), force and tech cannot. (i.e. they ignore your +defense/+shield stat completely)

Damage types: Weapon damage (=damage type done by your weapon = energy), Energy damage, Kinetic damage, Internal damage, Elemental damage.

Formerly only direct melee and ranged attacks that do Energy or Kinetic damage could be shielded, now all Kinetic and Energy damage will be shield-able. This means for example that Force Lightning (Force attack that does Kinetic damage) can be shielded. Smash can be shielded (Force attack that does Kinetic damage). But Flame Burst (Tech attack that does Elemental damage) or Corrosive Grenade (Tech attack that does Internal damage) cannot be shielded.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

NoTomorrow
02.21.2013 , 03:47 AM | #8
Quote:
Damage types: Weapon damage, Kinetic damage, Energy damage, Internal damage, Elemental damage.

Formerly only Weapon damage could be shielded, now Kinetic and Energy damage will be shield-able also. This means for example that Force Lightning (kinetic damage) can be shielded. Smash can be shielded (kinetic damage). Vicious Throw can be shielded (energy damage). But Flame Burst (elemental damage) or Corrosive Grenade (internal damage) cannot be shielded.
You are confusing things. Weapon attacks are either Melee or Ranged.
The damage types are only Kinetic, Energy, Internal and Elemental.

For example Sniper MM does smotly ranged energy damage. Engineering: has tech kinetic (Explosive probe, frag grenades), tech energy (interrogation probe), tech elemental (plasma probe, orbital strike). Lethality does mostly tech internal (poisons, Cull, although cull has a ranged energy component as well)
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Belly
02.21.2013 , 03:52 AM | #9
Tanks can actually be tanks now? Fun!
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

NamikazeNaruto
02.21.2013 , 03:54 AM | #10
So does this basically mean shield/absorb rating is going to move up in the priority on stats? Previously I had put all my stats into expertise/endurance and then defense to 30% THEN shield/absorb. I wonder if this means I will need to try to max shield/absorb until the DR curve starts.