Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper 2.0 PTS!

paowee
02.20.2013 , 06:53 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jekan View Post
Saber Reflect will also wreck Lethality during the WB/Cull phase as well, yeah?
We won't know until people test it out. The description says it will reflect "all direct, single target ranged, Force, and Tech damage back to the attacker for 3 seconds".

Cull's single target ranged attack comes in three hits of white damage (ala SoS). These 3 white damage hits might be the ones reflected back to us (which is pretty weak Cull's big damage comes from from the 6 additional yellow damage ticks that happen when Cull hits a target with YOUR CG and CD. Unless we can put CG and CD on ourselves I doubt a reflected Cull will hurt that much. It is however a big damage loss since the Juggernaut just neutered your Cull's burst. Just wait 9 seconds, Covered Escape away and then use Cull again lol

I'd imagine the Saber Reflect will be more annoying for Marks snipers.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Jekan
02.20.2013 , 06:55 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
We won't know until people test it out. The description says it will reflect"all direct, single target ranged, Force, and Tech damage back to the attacker for 3 seconds".

Cull's single target ranged attack comes in three hits of white damage (ala SoS). These 3 white damage hits might be the ones reflected back at us (which is pretty weak The big damage that comes out of Cull is from the 6 additional yellow damage ticks that come out when your Cull hits a target with YOUR CG and CD. Unless we can put CG and CD on ourselves I doubt a reflected Cull will hurt that much. It is however a big loss of DPS since the Juggernaut just neutered your Cull's burst.

I'd imagine the Saber Reflect will be more annoying for Marks snipers.
Yeah, that's going to suck for MM. By the way, thanks for your lethality guide, I put it to good use a lot .
Jekana - 55 Sniper(Eng/Leth) | T'vor - 50 Powertech (Shield) | Docfeelgood - 44 Sorc (Healer)
Jnx - 37 Gunslinger(SS)

I've heard there are worse snipers on the Bastion than me, but I don't believe it. I elevate being a scrub to a whole new level.
Eternal Dominion
Ghostbusters

miglor
02.20.2013 , 06:55 PM | #13
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of stealth element in the new operations. While I mainly PvP, and thus love the spotter ability, I hope that there's a PvE use for it as well.
Whats even more ridiculous is as an OP, energy is NEVER an issue. You get energy back so quickly its ridiculous.

Makes me wonder if BW even plays their own game.

Rigsta
02.20.2013 , 07:05 PM | #14
It's interesting that Ballistic Shield not needing cover is listed under Engineering. I wonder if that's a change they made to "Deployed Shields".
Nah, they said at the top of the patch notes to log in to the PTS and check the skill tree for skill-specific changes. They also list advanced targetting under engineering, which is the passive we get at level 10 when we choose sniper as our advanced class. The change is that the 5-meter range increase now applies to "all ranged attacks" (I'm hoping this includes grenades, dart, probes etc.)

Quote:
I'm also LOVING the stealth detection in cover.
Better than a kick in the eye I guess. I do hate stealthers in warzones, but I'm not sure whether I like this passive or not. It takes a long time to build up and we lose it as soon as we move. So on the one hand it's really powerful but on the other hand it's really limited by the build-up time, requirement to stay in cover for the duration, and the situational nature of stealth detection.

If it detects combat-stealth, then I'll smirk every time I break someone out of it but I'll also feel a bit sorry for them. Except maras. Stealth classes have a bit of a niche role in PVP as it is.

Quote:
I'm kinda "meh" about the roll forward escape, except it seems that it may be another cc breaker, which is cool. I can also see some use in other warzones where you need to get to a node quickly to defend, or maybe even in huttball, roll to the end zone for a pass.
It breaks snares & roots, lets us move 18 meters very quickly, gives us a big defense buff while it's active, and puts us directly into cover at the end.

What's not to like??! It's a very versatile ability on a short 20-second cooldown. Any CC, snare or root > Covered Escape = advantage sniper. As well as being an escape ability it's a tool to control engagement range, effectively without leaving cover.

Quote:
Spammable interrogation probe is also interesting, at least if I understand it right, only one probe can be active at a time, I'm assuming that's per target[...]
Nah it's 1 total - the wording is the same as commando's trauma probe. This change is just to allow us to switch targets more efficiently. Which is very welcome.

Can't wait for the PTS client to finish downloading. It'd be nice if my character copy would actually work too :|

NoTomorrow
02.20.2013 , 07:14 PM | #15
Here is a list of pre-emptive conclusions i made:
  • Sniper vs Stealthers match-up can suffer some serious changes, there is a high risk of massive sin forum whining asking for the nerf. This can potentially deny stealthers completely the ability to open on us from stealth while we are in cover leaving us only vulnerable when relocating.
  • Alacrity changes will force us to reevaluate entire sniper gearing optimisation. PvE analysts will have a massive work to do.
  • Bounty hunters receiveing hydraulic overrides: we will lose on our previous dominance over PTs and especially Pyrotech. You will be unable to root powertech or knock them back. Most of them will save this ability to deal with us, snipers.
  • New tanking shields changes will make engineering weaker vs tanks. Explosive Probe, Interrogation Probe, Frag Grenades will now be absorbed by shields.
  • Jug saber reflect = potentially reflecting an ambush back at us. quite dangerous
  • Evasion self cleanse = pure awesomeness. Once every minute we will be able to rid ourself of all the debuffs. The implications of this will be MASSIVE.
  • It looks like MM is slowly moving away from Snipe as well, now that FT will proc after SoS as well.
  • New charge ability = incredible room for sniper skill. The amount of uses this will grant us, will be crazy.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, were okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a wall bang every now and then.

Jekan
02.20.2013 , 07:43 PM | #16
Good points, the tanking shields also hose Lethality, too.
Jekana - 55 Sniper(Eng/Leth) | T'vor - 50 Powertech (Shield) | Docfeelgood - 44 Sorc (Healer)
Jnx - 37 Gunslinger(SS)

I've heard there are worse snipers on the Bastion than me, but I don't believe it. I elevate being a scrub to a whole new level.
Eternal Dominion
Ghostbusters

texoc
02.20.2013 , 08:02 PM | #17
Good points, the tanking shields also hose Lethality, too.
They dont. Kinetic and Energy is absorbed. Elemental and Internal (Lethality) goes trough tank stats.
Alles Hutten auer Mutti @ TOFN
Evilin - Slinger / Previe - Sage

Jekan
02.20.2013 , 08:08 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by texoc View Post
They dont. Kinetic and Energy is absorbed. Elemental and Internal (Lethality) goes trough tank stats.
You're right, I thought I also read force/tech. Well, I'm guessing that makes crit rating more important for MM/Engineering, then, since crit attacks bypass shields.
Jnx - 37 Gunslinger(SS)

Eternal Dominion
Ghostbusters

texoc
02.20.2013 , 08:18 PM | #19
You're right, I thought I also read force/tech. Well, I'm guessing that makes crit rating more important for MM/Engineering, then, since crit attacks bypass shields.
or it makes Lethality more viable in RBG, because as it stands now, this is the real tankbuster remaining besides Pyros
Alles Hutten auer Mutti @ TOFN
Evilin - Slinger / Previe - Sage

Synavix
02.20.2013 , 08:32 PM | #20
While a lot of these changes will affect PvP a lot more than PvE, we didn't really need a lot of buffs in PvE. We'll have a few rotation changes, a little more mobility...but as long as our DPS potential is relatively untouched in comparison to other classes we'll be in good shape. I'll leave discussions about whether we'll be buffed/nerfed in PvP to people who know better than me.

As far as the nerfing of hybrids, it's a welcome change in my opinion. I've loved both the MM/Eng and Leth/Eng hybrids for our class, but they're a lot more difficult to balance around and (for the most part) have brought a lot more unbalance to the game from other classes.