Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game update 2.0 effectiveness

Macroeconomics
02.21.2013 , 05:01 AM | #11
On the other hand Kolto Bomb is the bomb! 30m range, 16 energy cost and 6 sec CD(!). It heals up to 4 allies within an 8 meter range for an amount equal to about 1.5x Rapid Shots. That's pretty good. It's also instant cast. You are going to use this a lot - no matter what Merc tree you are in.

Power Shot - they changed this quite a bit. The cast time is now 1.5 seconds (no need to talent it to get that). Rather it's back to the old way, where you need to talent it to get the heat cost down to 16. LOL. The old Arsenal skill, Charged Barrier is moved from Tier 3 down to Tier 2, so it is accessible to Merc Pyros. As a reminder that gives a 1% damage resistance for 15 sec for each use of Power Shot (up to 5). Similarly Stabilizers moves from Arsenal Tier 2 to Tier 1, again making it easier for Merc Pyros to access. As a reminder that reduces pushback to Power Shot. Some of the new Merc Pyro skills now also include Power Shot in their bonus category (bonus damage vs. targets on fire for example). Is it enough to make Power Shot useable now? I don't think so, but I'm sure some of you will try it out. There's just no way I want to stay stationary for that long.

Jet Boost - A lot of disappointment here. The data mined implication that Jet Boost would trigger a CGC proc on affected enemies didn't make it into the game. They probably realized that would force them to allow CGC to exist on multiple enemies. Instead they have a Tier 7 skill (2 points) that increases the damage done by Jet Boost by 30% (a negligible change in absolute terms). It also reduces the CD on Jet Boost by 1 sec each time you take damage (max once per 1.5 sec). In practical terms this isn't going to be a big help. After you are attacked, you'll use Jet Boost and then even with the CD reductions, you probably won't see it again until around 20 seconds into the fight. Needless to say, against a good melee, the Merc isn't going to last 20 seconds.

Degauss - this is a nice change. Degauss (removal of movement impairing effects) is now tied to Chaff Flare. This is a Tier 6 skill in the Pyro tree, so it won't be available for Arsenal or Bodyguards.

Electro Shield - a Tier 3 skill in the Pyro tree, it damages attacking enemies (just like Cloak of Pain). Definitely worth taking for Merc Pyros, but this is low enough in the Pyro tree, that one can contemplate a Merc healer trying to grab it.

Rassuro
02.21.2013 , 12:48 PM | #12
Yeah it's good that there are more buffs in the talent trees, however when looking at the buffs in the talent trees for the other classes I am familiar with, I still feel like Mercenaries and Operatives seem like the ones which will come out as the weakest classes... although Operatives does have some nice stuff in their talent trees.

Looking forward to trying these changes out for myself once it goes live (don't have enough disk space to install PTS...).

Talent tree calculator with PTS talents:
http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse

ScytheEleven
02.21.2013 , 01:55 PM | #13
I see a 6% damage increase to tracer, rail shot, and heat seeker missiles.

I'm really lost as to why Merc's seem unhappy...

davesignal
02.21.2013 , 02:44 PM | #14
Volatile Warheads giving CGC a 100% proc chance off Missile Salvo will, if nothing else, probably make it worth using as an opener or when switching targets to get the DOT rolling.

T-Assassin
02.21.2013 , 03:59 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
On the other hand Kolto Bomb is the bomb! 30m range, 16 energy cost and 6 sec CD(!). It heals up to 4 allies within an 8 meter range for an amount equal to about 1.5x Rapid Shots. That's pretty good. It's also instant cast. You are going to use this a lot - no matter what Merc tree you are in.

Power Shot - they changed this quite a bit. The cast time is now 1.5 seconds (no need to talent it to get that). Rather it's back to the old way, where you need to talent it to get the heat cost down to 16. LOL. The old Arsenal skill, Charged Barrier is moved from Tier 3 down to Tier 2, so it is accessible to Merc Pyros. As a reminder that gives a 1% damage resistance for 15 sec for each use of Power Shot (up to 5). Similarly Stabilizers moves from Arsenal Tier 2 to Tier 1, again making it easier for Merc Pyros to access. As a reminder that reduces pushback to Power Shot. Some of the new Merc Pyro skills now also include Power Shot in their bonus category (bonus damage vs. targets on fire for example). Is it enough to make Power Shot useable now? I don't think so, but I'm sure some of you will try it out. There's just no way I want to stay stationary for that long.

Jet Boost - A lot of disappointment here. The data mined implication that Jet Boost would trigger a CGC proc on affected enemies didn't make it into the game. They probably realized that would force them to allow CGC to exist on multiple enemies. Instead they have a Tier 7 skill (2 points) that increases the damage done by Jet Boost by 30% (a negligible change in absolute terms). It also reduces the CD on Jet Boost by 1 sec each time you take damage (max once per 1.5 sec). In practical terms this isn't going to be a big help. After you are attacked, you'll use Jet Boost and then even with the CD reductions, you probably won't see it again until around 20 seconds into the fight. Needless to say, against a good melee, the Merc isn't going to last 20 seconds.

Degauss - this is a nice change. Degauss (removal of movement impairing effects) is now tied to Chaff Flare. This is a Tier 6 skill in the Pyro tree, so it won't be available for Arsenal or Bodyguards.

Electro Shield - a Tier 3 skill in the Pyro tree, it damages attacking enemies (just like Cloak of Pain). Definitely worth taking for Merc Pyros, but this is low enough in the Pyro tree, that one can contemplate a Merc healer trying to grab it.
overall, i'd definitely say it is a positive for mercs. Pyro gets some nice tools, and the heal looks great.

but, that doesn't address MY concerns for Merc, sadly.

power shot gets a decent burst...but, not at all useful in PvP because it still requires you to cast.

oh well
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Phrase
02.21.2013 , 06:24 PM | #16
Nvm my comment about Electro-net since it's single target, but it does still add some nice 1v1 utility and a good hard counter to stealth classes.

100% cgc proc is nice for missile salvo, esp. since it's tech and can't be dodged.

Also a big fan of the reactive shield.

Hydraulic overrides and degauss combo provides a decent boost to mobility.

Sixgun
The Bastion

thirtysmooth
02.22.2013 , 04:57 AM | #17
Our healing is a hell of a lot easier. My Kolto Missile was critting for 3.5k, with an additional ~1.5k over 2/3 seconds (I couldn't find anything in the patch notes about Kolto Missile getting a buff), while my other heals had a max crit of ~7.2k which is awesome.

Jet Boost can now also heal you and your allies when talented which is useful, especially when your pulling a lot of aggro. Kolto Shell also has an extra 3 charges (when talented) which means having to check on the tank less often.

Overall, very pleased with what they've done to the Bodyguard tree.

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 11:20 AM | #18
Why would we want more effective healing?

We're the Bounty Hunter class. We don't go out trying to save lives, we go out trying to bring people down for money!

As an added point, why not give Mercs the ability to shoot themselves in the head/chest/body part to heal themselves? I can shoot my allies to heal them, but shooting myself to heal myself all of a sudden becomes impossible?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Macroeconomics
02.22.2013 , 11:48 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by thirtysmooth View Post
Our healing is a hell of a lot easier. My Kolto Missile was critting for 3.5k, with an additional ~1.5k over 2/3 seconds (I couldn't find anything in the patch notes about Kolto Missile getting a buff), while my other heals had a max crit of ~7.2k which is awesome.
Just be aware that because of the massive bug with Bolster, it is hard right now to come to any conclusion with respect to the absolute value that any talent/skill is hitting/healing for. For instance some people can Smash for 40k a pop right now. At this point it is best to look at how much a skill does relative to your other skills.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Why would we want more effective healing? We're the Bounty Hunter class. We don't go out trying to save lives, we go out trying to bring people down for money!
That is not where this subclass appears to be headed. The anemic damage output of the class relative to other classes has not been addressed. If anything it appears to have gotten larger vs. what will likely be the most popular melee dps - Carnage.

But when you look at that AoE heal, it's effectiveness and 6 sec CD would indicate that you need to use that every 4th GCD. In other words you are going to replace 25% of your attack moves with a heal move. That is going to strongly push you towards less damage output and more healing output. IMO, this is the only possibility left for Merc dps to be effective. This also gives more evidence to why Power Shot will not be used. The merc dps rotation was already full in 1.6 w/o using Power Shot. You stuff in a skill that is going to use 25% of your time and there is even less time/opportunity to use Power Shot.

Quote: Originally Posted by ScytheEleven View Post
I see a 6% damage increase to tracer, rail shot, and heat seeker missiles. I'm really lost as to why Merc's seem unhappy...
At the top player levels, Merc dps output was about 25% below that of PT pyro. Minor buffs in the skill trees aren't going to overcome that.

Xerain
02.22.2013 , 02:32 PM | #20
Missile Salvo needs to be Missile Blast damage... It seems this is only good for a kiting situation anyways.