Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game update 2.0 effectiveness

Lieflen
02.20.2013 , 04:59 PM | #1
From reviewing the patch notes on the test server, I'm not quite sure if this is what we needed to increase our PvP effectiveness as a DPS spec. Could anyone else give some insight on their own opinions on this update?

Phrase
02.20.2013 , 05:49 PM | #2
Electro-Net looks interesting and adds some good utility to our class, esp. for ramps in Huttball and hallways in VS. I'm not sure I like the DoT, b/c I'm leery about what would happen if I drop a net on a group of warriors and get Reflected. Am I going to eat 4x DoT damage?

Hydraulic Overrides is a step in the right direction for mobility.

Missile Salvo is kinda meh. Might increase MBs usefulness as a finisher somewhat.

It'll be interesting to see what Kolto Missile does once all specs can train it. Plus, I wonder what Bodyguards get as their Tier 3 active now.

The change that really interests me is what the alacrity changes will bring to this class. It'll be interesting to see what the theorycrafters come up with re: the min/ max ratios on crit/ surge/ power/ alacrity.

Sixgun
The Bastion

Reysin
02.20.2013 , 06:02 PM | #3
While I don't know the exact damage reductions to missile salvo, I feel like this is a step in the right direction.

I have a couple ideas as to what it means:

1. Each blast does about 90% of what a regular blast does, and generate no heat. We've got an increase to mobility, and no longer sit still and get our asses handed to us.

2. 2 :1 salvo:blast damage ratio, no heat generated. Still an increase to our mobility.

A decrease in heat generation from jet boost? Check, that'll help by keeping our resources managable when we're sitting back and nuking.

Our complaint has always been we couldn't escape from a fight. Electro net, missile salvo, and a reduced cost is what we needed. Plus, with kolto missile, we've become a class that requires smart play, and not three keys.

I for one, am excited for these changes.

JimmyTheCannon
02.20.2013 , 06:28 PM | #4
I'm curious to see how Missile Salvo works, as the way I read it is it doesn't generate heat *while* you're casting the missiles, but when you're done with the third one, THEN the heat hits.

Phrase
02.20.2013 , 06:51 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
I'm curious to see how Missile Salvo works, as the way I read it is it doesn't generate heat *while* you're casting the missiles, but when you're done with the third one, THEN the heat hits.
That's how I read it, hence it's usefulness as a finisher.

If it's 3 free MBs every 6 seconds; that's another story (and insanely OP unless the damage reduction is significant).

Sixgun
The Bastion

Xethis
02.20.2013 , 08:52 PM | #6
I am very excited for merc, The Electro net does look interesting can't wait to try it out, but that combined with Hydraulic Overrides just might give the Merc what it needs to be competitive.

JimmyTheCannon
02.21.2013 , 02:06 AM | #7
Has anyone tried using Electro Net on a mobile boss yet? I'm curious to see if they get the stacking damage debuff from it the way players would (since it's obviously not going to slow or hinder a boss at all).

If so, this would be a way to actually increase Commando/Merc DPS on fights like the Dread Council and Kephess the Undying where the bosses move around a lot.

Macroeconomics
02.21.2013 , 02:55 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Has anyone tried using Electro Net on a mobile boss yet? I'm curious to see if they get the stacking damage debuff from it the way players would (since it's obviously not going to slow or hinder a boss at all).
Really doubt Electro Net will affect boss mobs. They generally have immunity to movement impairing effects.

Macroeconomics
02.21.2013 , 04:26 AM | #9
So having copied some of my toons to PTS here are some initial thoughts on the Merc situation....

Mortar/Missile Salvo is worthless. The description of this ability is a bit off. It says that you *can* fire 3 salvos, but what it really means is that for Mercs the old Missile Blast skill is entirely replaced with Missile Salvo. The PT's keep the same old Missile Blast skill. Missile Salvo cost the same amount of heat as the old Missile Blast, except the heat cost is assessed when you either shoot your 3rd Missile Salvo OR use another ability after your first or second Missile Salvo OR you pause for about a second after firing your first or second Missile Salvo. When the heat cost is assessed, Missile Salvo goes on a 6 sec CD (Missile Blast has no CD). So what does Missile Salvo get you? Basically you get to fire it 3 times for the heat cost of a single Missile Blast. The problem here is that Missile Salvo does less damage than the old Missile Blast. How much less? Less than Rapid Shots. Yes, you heard that correctly. Less than Rapid Shots. So rather than generating heat to use Missile Salvo 3 times (and getting a CGC proc after the third), you could have used Rapid Shots 3 times, almost assuredly gotten a CGC after the first or second attack and saved heat. And done more damage. Doh. At least since no one used Missile Blast previously, this isn't a loss per se. More like a missed opportunity. But you should be used to that as Mercs.

Rassuro
02.21.2013 , 04:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
The problem here is that Missile Salvo does less damage than the old Missile Blast. How much less? Less than Rapid Shots.
LOL

TBH when I read the patch notes for both the Mercenary and the Operative, in my opinion both of them reads like what those classes would need right now (other than the Missile Salvo damage numbers, which if they are as reported above, I would assume it's a bug or something).

The problem is that all other classes become significantly stronger as well, so it seems as though these two classes will still be far behind.

It felt like a joke, like BioWare is in on the "Solution: Nerf Operatives" meme.

Hopefully it just looks bad early on, maybe there will be more useful stuff in the skill trees or something...
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse