Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Re-visiting the Battle of Hoth: General Rieekan vs General Veers!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Re-visiting the Battle of Hoth: General Rieekan vs General Veers!

Wolfninjajedi
02.25.2013 , 04:49 PM | #31
I'll do a much smaller battle(squad vs squad) next time, so I won't get the ramblings of how this is bad and everything. Was just trying to make it as fair as possible.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Aurbere
02.25.2013 , 04:51 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I'll do a much smaller battle(squad vs squad) next time, so I won't get the ramblings of how this is bad and everything. Was just trying to make it as fair as possible.
Don't listen to the complainers. You were justified in your actions. Those AT-ATs are beast, which is why my scenarios focused on putting the rebels in positions to eliminate the AT-ATs.

However, a squad vs. sqaud battle would be interesting.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

SNCommand
02.25.2013 , 05:07 PM | #33
The problem was choosing a battlefield that was never fair in the first place and not making it clear that you were handicapping Veers intentionally to produce a certain result

It's easier discussing the strengths and weaknesses of individual persons or weapons, this thread though would be the question of Eisenhower vs Rundstedt on D-Day if the allies didn't have the British or Canadian forces, no air support and the German armored units arrived as soon as possible
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Beniboybling
02.26.2013 , 11:04 AM | #34
But ah ha, the Snowspeeders could trip up the AT-ATs as they are distracted with the Rebels HAVWs using the towcables and take the AT-ATs out of the fight for this. Remember the Snowspeeders are small targets and hard to hit, an AT-AT literally needs to stop moving and actually aim its cannons to effectively hit a Snowspeeder(as evident in ESB when that one AT-AT stood and blasted a Snowspeeder right out of the sky) or unless the Snowspeeders fly directly at them which is what Luke and Wedge did and thus Luke got hit.

There is still the matter of even if the AT-TEs and MPTLs are taken out, the Rebels still have AT-APs and AT-XTs for long range shelling and T-4B tanks which have heavy armor + turbolasers and concussion missile launchers which are able to fight against AT-ATs too and by that time, even if one AT-AT survives it would be taking so much firepower from the remaining vehicles and hits from the Rebel specforce weapons.
If one or two HAWs can get the to hangar that removes the problem of snowspeeders. However if they cannot and enough leave the hangar they could well prove a problem for the AT-ATs which will be focused on the ground units.

Lets not forget however that the ground units have Imperial tanks to deal with also, even with 2 HAWs storming the hangar that still leaves 2 behind. Still, those walkers aren't going to do that much damage...

So Veers either has to sacrifice his AT-ATs and destroy the Rebels tank units, or allow the tank units to remain and deal with the speeders. But I actually think Veers can split his forces:

• Send 2 HAWs to take out the hangar.

• Have 2 AT-ATs target the incoming HAWs and then AT-TEs - which will have difficulty reaching that weak spot given speed, maneuverability etc.

• Have the other 2 AT-ATs provide support, but redirect fire on the snowspeeders if any engage.

• Have the remaining HAWs tackle the less powerful MPTLs and T4-B heavy tanks.

• Have the remaining 12 walkers target the Rebels 6 walkers as well as backup the snowtroopers.

However we cannot forget the existence of the anti-vehicle turrets which without AT-AT support will deal heavy damage to those short range, lightly armoured vehicles i.e. the walkers. However once the majority of Rebel tank units have been destroyed, more focus can be put on destroying these. I also recall that AT-STs were quite effect at destroying these, although no better defended against them.

Concerning casualties, I think Veers will lose at least one AT-AT to the mass drivers and a maximum of two to the snowspeeders. Its possible he could lose them all, but not after destroying the rebels heavy units. Most of the walkers will likely be destroyed and possibly a few HAWs. But the rebels will lose the majority of their heavy tanks and quickly push the Rebels back to their base.

Wolfninjajedi
02.26.2013 , 12:27 PM | #35
How would the HAVWs have difficulty reaching an AT-ATs weakspots? They aren't slow like the AT-TE, though that scenario does seem likely for the Snowspeeders the rebels could take out the HAVWs before they reach the hangers using their own heavy weapons. But then were also forgetting the troopers here, the Specforce could use

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/HH-15...ctile_launcher

Which are great for anti-armor, and though they had inferior targeting capabilities compared to the MiniMag the Rebels manually did the targeting to make up for that, and also these.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/PLX-2...ssile_launcher

To be honest, the Rebels have a lot of heavy firepower + the Snowspeeders that could take down the AT-ATs rather quickly. The AT-XTs I could see lasting, due to their Plasma deflector shield generators, and they are effective front line walkers.

Now this isn't saying the Rebels wouldn't take heavy loses, but their main threat is the AT-AT group which they do have a good chance of taking them all out and then focusing on the other walkers. How much of a force, the Rebels would have afterwards depends and probably the Rebels would need to fall back to Echo Base and fortify their defenses as whatever remaining Snowtroopers are left come running in. The rebels here have the advantage of knowing the layout of the base, compared to the Snowtroopers and actually the rebels could sick Wampas on the Snowtroopers too, of course the Wampas would probably also attack the Rebels but its just something to throw at the Snowtroopers a sort of surprise attack.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.