Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Sorc pvp changes, when?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Sorc pvp changes, when?

warstory's Avatar


warstory
02.20.2013 , 11:10 AM | #1
Any ETA on when I will be able to play my lightning sorc or telekinetic sage in pvp at a competitive level. Everyone knows the spec is broken and has been broken, and over looked by development for whatever reason. I don't personally care what that reason is just want to hear a official word when positive change is coming.

Cretinus's Avatar


Cretinus
02.20.2013 , 11:28 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by warstory View Post
Any ETA on when I will be able to play my lightning sorc or telekinetic sage in pvp at a competitive level. Everyone knows the spec is broken and has been broken, and over looked by development for whatever reason. I don't personally care what that reason is just want to hear a official word positive change is coming.
Our role is to justify that smash exists, with our moronic bubble stun. We're not supposed to DPS, to heal or to tank.
nerf operatives

SOULCASTER's Avatar


SOULCASTER
02.20.2013 , 11:43 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by warstory View Post
Any ETA on when I will be able to play my lightning sorc or telekinetic sage in pvp at a competitive level. Everyone knows the spec is broken and has been broken, and over looked by development for whatever reason. I don't personally care what that reason is just want to hear a official word positive change is coming.
Actually the far right tree of (balance) sage/sorc is FAR from broken. You can crush the dps charts with that build in warzones. Its just.....not bursty. Which is what rated warzones require. But its far from broken. Its just not optimal.

Telekinetics......now that is F#$%&ing broken
Prophecy of the Five
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Altoholic

islander's Avatar


islander
02.20.2013 , 11:56 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
Actually the far right tree of (balance) sage/sorc is FAR from broken. You can crush the dps charts with that build in warzones. Its just.....not bursty. Which is what rated warzones require. But its far from broken. Its just not optimal.

Telekinetics......now that is F#$%&ing broken
Exactly this. Madness/Balance is pretty good 'out in the field' so to speak.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Locksley's Avatar


Locksley
02.20.2013 , 12:31 PM | #5
I use a madness/lightning spe and can pull anything from 300-600k depending on the wz really but yeah theres no burst to it but in truth Ive not done ranked yet with her.
You will learn your place young one


Delerium (sage), Sophi'e (sorc).Deucalion (guardian), D'ale (Jug).

Lelvannia's Avatar


Lelvannia
02.20.2013 , 01:34 PM | #6
Okay, I just don't get this... Why is it so important to make lightning/tk viable for pvp? In That Other MMO everyone knows you don't take a Holy priest or Fire mage (*) into PVP and you don't hear complaints about that, if people want to pvp they respec their priests into Discipline and mages into Frost, while keeping Holy and Fire specs for pve... Why can't we just accept that tk spec is for pve, and madness is for pvp?

What I *DO* have an issue with is how much does the PVP DPS (madness or hybrid) spec suck. Yes, I know, there are gurus who can do 500k in a long warzone with tons of luck and a pocket healer, but decent (nonguru but decent) players in average circumstances do 200-300k. Meanwhile a keyboard-turning smashmonkey with 3 keybinds can easily do 500k in good gear, and heavens help you if you ever meet a skilled one.

We were promised to be the "glass cannons". All I can say that Bioware definitely got the "glass" part right (too right!), but the "cannon" part seems to have gone to smashers for some reason.


(*) Okay, I quit WoW quite a while ago, that might not be up-to-date

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 01:40 PM | #7
expansion
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

sauerkraut's Avatar


sauerkraut
02.20.2013 , 01:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by warstory View Post
Any ETA on when I will be able to play my lightning sorc or telekinetic sage in pvp at a competitive level. Everyone knows the spec is broken and has been broken, and over looked by development for whatever reason. I don't personally care what that reason is just want to hear a official word when positive change is coming.
Your god mode won't be back anytime soon, for now you just have to decide tank, healer or DPS, you can't have all.

ktkenshinx's Avatar


ktkenshinx
02.20.2013 , 01:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lelvannia View Post
What I *DO* have an issue with is how much does the PVP DPS (madness or hybrid) spec suck. Yes, I know, there are gurus who can do 500k in a long warzone with tons of luck and a pocket healer, but decent but nonguru players in average circumstances do 200-300k. Meanwhile a keyboard-turning smashmonkey with 3 keybinds can easily do 500k in good gear, and heavens help you if you ever meet a skilled one.

We were promised to be the "glass cannons". All I can say that Bioware definitely got the "glass" part right (too right!), but the "cannon" part seems to have gone to smashers for some reason.
There's two issues that you are talking about here. The first is about Smashers being overpowered. That's probably true, but not to the extent that some people think. Just lowering their damage by 25-33% would probably be enough to calm them down, and by every indication, the balance changes in RotHC are going to do that.

Then there is the second issue about Madness Sorcs being underpowered. You claim that the only circumstances under which Madness can put up good numbers are when they have luck and pocket healers. I totally disagree. Madness is really nasty at back line artillery and at overworking healers. They have awesome range, strong DOTs, and good force management. But they really shine in the 1v1, 1v2, or 2v2 where they are the king of kiting.

Some classes just can't beat a Madness sorc in a 1v1. For instance, Madness is probably the only spec that has a consistently awesome matchup against Pyrotech. They also shred Snipers, Mercs/Vans, and Juggs. They have a decent, but not spectacular, matchup against Mars. Sins and Ops are of course terrifying, but everyone needs their weaknesses. Even leaving the pure 1v1 situation, their big-melee WZ abilities are substantial. They are very hard to kill, can cause a lot of damage even while not focusing single targets, are extremely mobile, and can but out major burst if they need to focus a target.

Now, Lightning is another matter; that spec is terrible past 17 points (which get you Electric Bindings and Bubble Stun). But Madness is really just fine.
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---

SOULCASTER's Avatar


SOULCASTER
02.20.2013 , 02:00 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Locksley View Post
I use a madness/lightning spe and can pull anything from 300-600k depending on the wz really but yeah theres no burst to it but in truth Ive not done ranked yet with her.
My guildies can steadily put up 400k in a bad warzone to a mil in a solid warzone. Averaging probably 600k on a normal warzone. It has a LOT of dps flashy numbers potential. Its just all DoTs and damage that can be easily healed through in rated warzones. Which is why sage/sorc isn't ideal for rateds.

But open world, or 1v1s, that spec will demolish people.
Prophecy of the Five
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Altoholic