Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How would you rewrite SI's story?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How would you rewrite SI's story?

Ranadiel_Marius's Avatar


Ranadiel_Marius
02.21.2013 , 06:37 AM | #11
Rather than rewriting everything that I've written before on this topic, I'll save you all the ten pages and give a brief summary.

Basically just make the SI do something in his story besides just being the muscle. Have him think....or at least have the option of thinking. Rather than having him walk into at least three traps completely blindly and trusting like only to survive because he is so awesome and the destined one/saved by his ancestor/dumb luck, have him actually see the trap coming and prepare. For example:
[spoiler]
Rather than having Zash tell you to bring Khem'Val, have her tell you not to bring him and the SI is suspicious so he has Kham tage alsong in secret[spoiler]

Also have him be a bit more proactive rather than having things fall into his lap.
Spoiler


Certainly more changes that could be made, but those are ideas on how it could have been improved while keeping the general overall arc. *shrug*
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
02.21.2013 , 06:45 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
Rather than rewriting everything that I've written before on this topic, I'll save you all the ten pages and give a brief summary.

Basically just make the SI do something in his story besides just being the muscle. Have him think....or at least have the option of thinking. Rather than having him walk into at least three traps completely blindly and trusting like only to survive because he is so awesome and the destined one/saved by his ancestor/dumb luck, have him actually see the trap coming and prepare. For example:
[spoiler]
Rather than having Zash tell you to bring Khem'Val, have her tell you not to bring him and the SI is suspicious so he has Kham tage alsong in secret[spoiler]

Also have him be a bit more proactive rather than having things fall into his lap.
Spoiler


Certainly more changes that could be made, but those are ideas on how it could have been improved while keeping the general overall arc. *shrug*
I couldn't agree more. I mean in Chapter 1 it makes sense, Zash is your Master, you do her bidding etc etc. But when I became a Sith Lord and was expecting to start making decisions for myself, I find Zash (in the form of Khem Val) becomes by quest giver once again and practically the brains behind the whole operation. I feel so useless.

I think my ideas for the story would rectify this, with Chapter 2 being about him building up his powerbase. He actively seeks out and gains the favour of his allies rather than them coming to him. And I like the idea of the SI declaring the Kaggath. It could be an accumulation of all his efforts to build up a power base and gain personal strength, flushing Thanaton out of the shadows who prievously would have been attempting to bump him off with assassins and the like.

Chaloss's Avatar


Chaloss
02.21.2013 , 07:55 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
Rather than rewriting everything that I've written before on this topic, I'll save you all the ten pages and give a brief summary.

Basically just make the SI do something in his story besides just being the muscle. Have him think....or at least have the option of thinking. Rather than having him walk into at least three traps completely blindly and trusting like only to survive because he is so awesome and the destined one/saved by his ancestor/dumb luck, have him actually see the trap coming and prepare. For example:
[spoiler]
Rather than having Zash tell you to bring Khem'Val, have her tell you not to bring him and the SI is suspicious so he has Kham tage alsong in secret[spoiler]

Also have him be a bit more proactive rather than having things fall into his lap.
Spoiler


Certainly more changes that could be made, but those are ideas on how it could have been improved while keeping the general overall arc. *shrug*
I think the reason it was done as it is now is to avoid strange leaps of story. How does SI know what lord or Moff to contact, about Kaggath and so on? I look SI more as person who goes with the flow as long as it suits him/her.

Dan_Loto's Avatar


Dan_Loto
02.21.2013 , 09:31 AM | #14
Two things:

Spoiler
POT5: Republic: Villd 60 van, Pyu 55 com, Cyball 55 scoun, Rais'ins 55 gun, Brukis 55 sent, Yukï 12 guard, Purrjury 18 sen, Elabos 55 shad, Ranies 55 sage. Empire: Reckorb 56 jug, Fect 55 mar, Accident 55 sor, Vival 55 sin, Zolba 55 pt, Haruhï 51 mer, Fundark 24 op, Muttonns 22 sni, Satoshinakamoto 55 op, Premacy 33 jug, Modules 14 pt.

Ranadiel_Marius's Avatar


Ranadiel_Marius
02.22.2013 , 05:53 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaloss View Post
I think the reason it was done as it is now is to avoid strange leaps of story. How does SI know what lord or Moff to contact, about Kaggath and so on? I look SI more as person who goes with the flow as long as it suits him/her.
Obviously there would have to be some additional changes, but it really wouldn't be too much of a change. For the Moff, it would be easy (and sort of intuitive) to add a scene where the SI has someone investigate Thanaton's power base. Hell have the two red shirts give you the info before their death.

As for the Kagaath, just have a scene play out like this(with better writing):

(One of your companions): "Thanaton has gone into hiding, and we aren't having any luck in tracking him down."
SI: "We know that he is slavishly devouted to ancient traditions. Perhaps we can use that to our advantage. Zash are there any traditions that would force him to face me?"
Zash: "Well there is the Kaggath (brief expalnation), but no one cares about that any more."
SI: "No one except Thanaton and his followers, send out announcements to all of Thanaton's minions that I am challenging Thanaton to a Kaggath! I'm sure he'll get the message."
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
02.22.2013 , 02:50 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
Certainly more changes that could be made, but those are ideas on how it could have been improved while keeping the general overall arc. *shrug*
I agree that some small, strategic changes could greatly improve the story. Great ideas!


If I would rewrite the story, I would change some more things. Not because it's necessary, but because I think it fits better with the class. Currently, the story we get is not the story of an Sith Inquisitor, but the story of a Sith Sorcerer. I would make the SI an actual Inquisitor. He/she would hunt down followers of a different heresy in every chapter while building his powerbase.

(Two Dark Council members play larger roles. The Head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge and the Head of the Pyramid of Sith Philosophy. Thanaton is one of them, but I'm not sure in which position he would fit better. He would probably be a different character and less annoying. According the the Encyclopedia, Darth Aruk would be the other one.)

Chapter 1 - The old Dark Lords
Zash (an inquisitor herself) is hunting down Sith who prefer ancient Dark Lords and their bloodlines over the Emperor. She sends you on a quest to investigate the cult. This would be a mixture of artifact collection and ghost encounters (I haven't worked out the details). In the end Zash is revealed as an enemy and you have to fight her.

Chapter 2 - The Light Side
After Zash is gone, the Head of the Pyramid of Sith Philosophy (HSP) makes you his apprentice. Light side teachings are spreading among the Sith and some are rumored to have contact with the Jedi. Several Sith are suspects, but to prove this, you have to get a Jedi who might know better. (Ashara, of course. She has a much larger role and is fully corruptable. But if you go that route, it takes half of her storyline until she finally goes over fully to the dark side.) You can either largly root out the light side Sith or secretly join them and throw the suspicions off.

Chapter 3 - Ancient Knowledge
The Head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge (HAK) thinks that ancient knowledge from Belsavis and Voss will give the Empire an advantage in the war. The HSP thinks this knowledge might contradict Sith Traditions. He sends you to help the HAK, but closely observe him to finally expose his doing. Now you have to choose: Do you follow the traditions or the path to more power. You secretly side with either the HSP or the HAK and undermine the other on Corellia. Which finally leads to the last fight and you take the DK seat of the one you chose as your enemy.


So all in all you get to choose between traditions, power and light side. And you gain your council seat largly through political manipulation and choosing the right allies. The story would also be more balanced between infiltration and sorcery, so it would fit Sorcerers and Assassins.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Path-x's Avatar


Path-x
02.23.2013 , 04:20 AM | #17
I would change it so one could romance and sleep with Zash. I think that would be a great shocker / plot twist. Plus she is hot with her "make-up" anyway.

As someone already mentioned, I would love to be able to crush that bone face. On top of that he is a completely dull character. I would just take Harkin as an apprentice. I mean like him and he sounds like an intriguing character.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.23.2013 , 04:23 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
I agree that some small, strategic changes could greatly improve the story. Great ideas!


If I would rewrite the story, I would change some more things. Not because it's necessary, but because I think it fits better with the class. Currently, the story we get is not the story of an Sith Inquisitor, but the story of a Sith Sorcerer. I would make the SI an actual Inquisitor. He/she would hunt down followers of a different heresy in every chapter while building his powerbase.

(Two Dark Council members play larger roles. The Head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge and the Head of the Pyramid of Sith Philosophy. Thanaton is one of them, but I'm not sure in which position he would fit better. He would probably be a different character and less annoying. According the the Encyclopedia, Darth Aruk would be the other one.)

Chapter 1 - The old Dark Lords
Zash (an inquisitor herself) is hunting down Sith who prefer ancient Dark Lords and their bloodlines over the Emperor. She sends you on a quest to investigate the cult. This would be a mixture of artifact collection and ghost encounters (I haven't worked out the details). In the end Zash is revealed as an enemy and you have to fight her.

Chapter 2 - The Light Side
After Zash is gone, the Head of the Pyramid of Sith Philosophy (HSP) makes you his apprentice. Light side teachings are spreading among the Sith and some are rumored to have contact with the Jedi. Several Sith are suspects, but to prove this, you have to get a Jedi who might know better. (Ashara, of course. She has a much larger role and is fully corruptable. But if you go that route, it takes half of her storyline until she finally goes over fully to the dark side.) You can either largly root out the light side Sith or secretly join them and throw the suspicions off.

Chapter 3 - Ancient Knowledge
The Head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge (HAK) thinks that ancient knowledge from Belsavis and Voss will give the Empire an advantage in the war. The HSP thinks this knowledge might contradict Sith Traditions. He sends you to help the HAK, but closely observe him to finally expose his doing. Now you have to choose: Do you follow the traditions or the path to more power. You secretly side with either the HSP or the HAK and undermine the other on Corellia. Which finally leads to the last fight and you take the DK seat of the one you chose as your enemy.


So all in all you get to choose between traditions, power and light side. And you gain your council seat largly through political manipulation and choosing the right allies. The story would also be more balanced between infiltration and sorcery, so it would fit Sorcerers and Assassins.
Feels the same way with the Consular storyline. Hasn't felt like a Shadow storyline at all to me Hopefully that changes.

As for this, good idea. I'd add that I'd still have Zash inhabit Khem's body, then havethe storyline play out that lets you keep Khem or keep Zash, and if you keep Zash, you can pick a new body for her! Not only does this give a new romance option, it gives a choice on the fate of your companion!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
02.23.2013 , 09:47 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Feels the same way with the Consular storyline. Hasn't felt like a Shadow storyline at all to me Hopefully that changes.

As for this, good idea. I'd add that I'd still have Zash inhabit Khem's body, then havethe storyline play out that lets you keep Khem or keep Zash, and if you keep Zash, you can pick a new body for her! Not only does this give a new romance option, it gives a choice on the fate of your companion!
Well the storyline already gives you that choice, accept the part about finding Zash a new body, she remains in Khem's body.

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
02.23.2013 , 10:01 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Feels the same way with the Consular storyline. Hasn't felt like a Shadow storyline at all to me Hopefully that changes.
I think some planets do fit with the Shadow. Definitly Balmorra, but to a lesser extend also Nar Shadda, Corellia, Taris, Quesh and Hoth. But you're right, the overall storyline is a sage storyline.

Quote:
As for this, good idea. I'd add that I'd still have Zash inhabit Khem's body, then havethe storyline play out that lets you keep Khem or keep Zash, and if you keep Zash, you can pick a new body for her! Not only does this give a new romance option, it gives a choice on the fate of your companion!
That would still fit into the storyline, I think. It might be a little difficult with the game limit of companions. If you have to kick Khem out of the party to get Zash in her new body, who will be your tank? (Zash seems more like a sorcerer type.)
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall