Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Someone has to take your spot when you leave

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Someone has to take your spot when you leave

sauerkraut
02.20.2013 , 02:20 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Remember this, when you leave early because you don't want to waste your time, remember that every time you do someone who is waiting next in the queue has to waste their time taking your spot. Think about this next time you leave a warzone early.
That's exactly what i think when I leave every single Premade vs Allstar, F2P, DPS, WZ. No way! Waist someone else's time.

mrekxxx
02.20.2013 , 02:29 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by WickedImage View Post
If you're smart, you only waste a minute.....literally. Just quit when you see that you're backfilling. simple solution.
Now, lets focus on the actual problems not the symptoms of those problems, shall we?
Instead of asking for folks to not quit...maybe ask the devs for a /resign feature? Just sayin'........
this is true, and for OP - stop posting stupid threads

Frostbyt
02.20.2013 , 02:41 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Maraxuss View Post
When they institute 30 - 45 min debuff, i'll wish you the best of luck as you stand on fleet twiddling thumbs in gen chat too. We all win.
never going to happen, even the group finder one is only 5 min I think
The Harbinger, Krath Origin
Frost'byte PT • Frost'bite OpMed • Frostbit Sorc • Nomadis Mara • Fróstbite Sniper
Armor'mech CombatMedic • Armsdealer GS • $%^&2 Guard

LarryRow
02.20.2013 , 08:08 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Carter_Mathis View Post
People who are willing to leave wz's early are often solo queued and are looking for the best way to have a good time in tor, so they don't particularly care about the effect that it has on another person. That's also why so many pugs are dps, it's just more fun to kill (even if they are horrid at it ) than to kite while keeping other people alive. I don't particularly care about people saying that they're going to leave warzones because it's to better their own experience because there isn't really an argument that can be made that their overall experience will be worsened by them leaving. What I do dislike is that they will gladly say that they are leaving a wz because their team is too bad, but they never mention that they are going to requeue in the hopes of finding a team that will play at or close to their level.
Fixed.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

islander
02.20.2013 , 08:20 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Remember this, when you leave early because you don't want to waste your time, remember that every time you do someone who is waiting next in the queue has to waste their time taking your spot. Think about this next time you leave a warzone early.
Oh well, their quit warzone button is located in the same place as mine, I'm pretty sure.
Gěllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Journeyer
02.20.2013 , 08:35 AM | #26
My criteria for quitting a warzone--judge if you'd like; I've only quit a few:

1) Are we in the first 2 minutes? If I've spent more time than that, I ought to have done something meaningful by now. I'm not quitting a WZ that I'm trying to win.

2) Are we morons? I love force-sprinting to a pylon, capping, turning around, and seeing 6 teammates there, supporting my effort. Or solo-capping snow while watching grass get stealth capped right under the noses of the 2 people "guarding it." Or defending solo vs 7 incoming on a door in Voidstar. Can you all really not see the hoard of red names going left?

3) Do I have 1 or fewer medals? Sorry--selfish here. Rewards @ 3 medals. So if the whole team refuses to do anything other than 7-man guard grass on Alderaan for the match, I guess you all don't really need me.

If *all 3* conditions are true: 1 minute in, blatant stubborn moronism and refusal to try, and I cannot even get any credit... I quit. Happens occasionally.

And is *definitely* not the same as the %^#$^%$s who quit after losing one objective. Try, people. Just try--that's all I'm looking for in a WZ.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

platinumruggo
02.20.2013 , 08:43 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by rlamela View Post
Not to be a DICK, wait who am I kidding. I don't think about them I think of me. I like me. I like me not staying in warzones with people who don't want to win so they don't do the simple things. And when it happens to me and I backfill a losing match I quit that match also. I mean the person who quit had a good reason so why would I want to stay. Everynow and then I will stay in a backfill match if I only need 1 more for my daily and Im running out of me time.

Jenna'syyde
Not necessarily. I've been in quite a few WZ's with people who've left when we were WINNING. People leave because they feel like it, I don't think I've ever seen someone leave for good reasons. I haven't left a WZ since I've been playing this game and I've been on the bad end of MANY, and I mean many pre mades and just overall better opponents. ****** teammates are something that's unfortunately apart of every community it seems.

Sadishist
02.20.2013 , 09:48 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
In the worst assessment, that means we would have equal positive and negative utility. The leaver saved himself from 10 minutes of frustration, but at the cost of 10 other players wasting 1 minute each.

1 player * 10 minutes of annoyance = 10 units of annoyance
10 players * 1 minute of annoyance = 10 units of annoyance

But we still might be able to get a positive utility calculation! This depends on how annoyed/frustrated the first leaver would have been by staying those 10 extra minutes, and how annoyed/frustrated each subsequent newcomer is by wasting their minute of time.

Wasted time annoyance might be cumulative, such that in the first minute he experiences 1 unit of annoyance, then 1.5 in the second minute, 2 in the third, and so on until the end. Maybe the progression isn't linear, but you get the idea. Under that model, the newcomers would only derive 1 unit of annoyance for that first wasted minute. This tips the scale back towards the first leaver.

10 minutes of annoyance = (1 + 1.5 + 2 + 2.5 ... + 5.5) units of annoyance = 32.5 units of annoyance
10 players * 1 minute of annoyance = 10 units of annoyance

At least from the perspective of 1 Leaver vs. 10 Newcomers, the balance is probably on the side of the leaver.

We can still make it trickier by taking into account the players that did NOT choose to leave. And the question remains, how much disutility do we cause them by leaving? It turns out that answer is a tough one. Some of them might just say "good riddance" with you gone, generating no additional disutility. Others might be genuinely annoyed at leavers for moral reasons, which would add some unhappiness to the balance. Still others might be frustrated, but no more frustrated than if you had stayed and played to a blowout loss. I suspect that the annoyance that they feel at losing isn't much less or more than the annoyance they feel by an early leaver, but it's up for argument. (Of course,there is also the enemy team to consider, but there is something nonsensical about considering their utility; we are going to just leave it out).

So adding additional players into the equation complicates the matter (but it's still an interesting line of inquiry). We are still left with no clear cut answer.

I agree that it is a very interesting topic that is worth discussing. My suspicion is that there MIGHT BE some ethical answer that gives a very reasonable argument as to why we shouldn't leave WZs. And we might be able to find it! At least from a strict utility calculus, however, it is a very tricky problem that probably doesn't produce a compelling argument to stay in losing pug WZs.
To be fair to everyone, one minute of one person's wasted time is never over 3x more than one minute of another person's wasted time. No one is 3 times more important than another person. Also keep in record that the 10 people may waste more than 1 minute each (each was in queue for 5 minutes, 25 seconds to load the warzone, 5 seconds to analyze the situation, then 30 seconds to load back to whatever planet they were on and queue up again... that's a total of 60 minutes of time wasted!!!!!!). Also to be fair, 100% the wasted time morally belongs to the original person, since rest don't have control of full match.

Sadishist
02.20.2013 , 09:51 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
Oh well, their quit warzone button is located in the same place as mine, I'm pretty sure.
Then the next person's time after them is wasted, and so on until match ends. Magnified by each following person's waiting in queue plus loading (both entering and exiting) time. You are not more important than any other player. It is disgusting to be selfish.

Ainsland
02.20.2013 , 09:58 AM | #30
Not gonna lie, I've quitted my fair number of times. I never "feel good" doing it. It's usually out of frustration, and takes a boiling point for me to do that, which can happen following a losing streak or seeing extremely poor/dumb play.

An example is at the beginning of Civil War, I head to mid, only to realize EVERYONE else goes to cap snow. So of course, I get dropped in 2 seconds in mid so we lose both mid and grass. I immediately leave.