Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Expertise system

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

sphyg
02.20.2013 , 04:16 PM | #41
Do you have a plan in place to roll back to the current expertise system just in case this flops and kills your PvP player base.
Sphyg - Tha'dokta - Sphig - - - Bastion
Sphig - Sa'rissa - Sphygg - Who'just - U'just - - - Harbinger
The Chatos Paladins

ebado
02.20.2013 , 04:17 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
that is what he said

PvE gear has no place in PvP. just like PvP gear has no place in PvE.

are we going to see a bolster system for Operations so that I can PvE with my War Hero gear?
The "point of balance" he is referring to is mentioned earlier. You are assuming that it means something else.
kolto and corrosives
window legacy - the bastion

Okamakiri
02.20.2013 , 04:18 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by sphyg View Post
If pveers wasn't too PvP competitively, I think they should have to get PvP gear. Pve gear is so easy to get. You can get your specific mod crafted for pve where in pvp you have to grind several pieces to get one piece hire you like it. If you ask of a sudden make pve gear competitive for PvP, it won't sit week with the people who have spent days weeks and months even getting their gear how they want it.

Also, I could see this bringing in a lot of PVers to PvP to farm mats and not to win the match. This would add to the frustration pvpers already have.

So, please tell me you are not making pve gear as good as our even just slightly worse than ewh.
Try to look at the big picture. Most new players, or PVE players, feel too intimidated by the gear gap in PVP to even give it a try. This leaves the PVP population at best stagnant, or more realistically declining.

As Rob pointed out, PVP gear will still be superior to PVE gear in PVP. Currently, you can use your PVP gear in PVE and do fine in everything but top end ops content. The same cannot be said for PVE gear in even regular WZs.

Ease of acquisition is arguable with ops having weekly lockouts while warzone having no weekly caps on commendations. Crafting skews things a bit, but is not exactly a viable method of gearing for majority of player base. Either way, it's an irrelevant topic when discussing PVP balance and viability of different gear in it.

Your insinuation that PVE'rs would only farm mats instead of trying to win is ludicrous though, since most efficient form of farming would still be winning.
Blackburn - Assassin, Dovahkėėn - Marauder, Zarakė - Jugernaut, Hamza - Mercenary, Smith - Sniper

Kovaos
02.20.2013 , 04:20 PM | #44
Will there be a snack shop available in any of the WZs in case we want to buy some skittles?
"my friend said he got a pack of level 50 armor and all i got was level 47 pants."

cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 04:22 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
PvE gear will have more survivability than it does now, not better than PvP gear.
and until rob comes back and corrects his statement that PvE gear will be more balanced against PvP gear in Warzones (more health vs more damage taken), it doesnt matter how anyone else on this forum tries to clarify it for him.

any attempt to balance PvE gear for PvP is ridiculous anyways. PvP gear is for PvP. is that not the purpose of expertise? to discourage people from using PvE gear? why bother with expertise if youre attempting to balance PvE gear against PvP gear? that defeats the purpose......

from what he says it sounds like PvP gear is having all of its endurance reworked, so that there is a significant gap between PvP health pools and PvE health pools. this has 2 negative effects. 1, it will further lower TTK. less health = die faster to burst. 2, full PvE gear should not be, even in the most slightest, most remote fashion, viable for use in PvP.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

MidichIorian
02.20.2013 , 04:24 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by sphyg View Post
Do you have a plan in place to roll back to the current expertise system just in case this flops and kills your PvP player base.
They didn't the last time. Two server merges later...........

ebado
02.20.2013 , 04:25 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
and until rob comes back and corrects his statement that PvE gear will be more balanced against PvP gear in Warzones (more health vs more damage taken), it doesnt matter how anyone else on this forum tries to clarify it for him.

any attempt to balance PvE gear for PvP is ridiculous anyways. PvP gear is for PvP. is that not the purpose of expertise? to discourage people from using PvE gear? why bother with expertise if youre attempting to balance PvE gear against PvP gear? that defeats the purpose......

from what he says it sounds like PvP gear is having all of its endurance reworked, so that there is a significant gap between PvP health pools and PvE health pools. this has 2 negative effects. 1, it will further lower TTK. less health = die faster to burst. 2, full PvE gear should not be, even in the most slightest, most remote fashion, viable for use in PvP.
Sigh.

Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
That's basically correct. There is a certain item rating level that once an individual item slot goes over that rating, it starts only getting expertise for its bolster (no more "PvE" stats). As the item rating continues to rise, you get less and less expertise until eventually bolster doesn't get anything from that item. The result should be that in the best PvE gear, you are somewhere between the "introduction bolster" level and the top end PvP gear in power. You would still be better off swapping to PvP gear if you have it, but you aren't terrible.

Also worth pointing out that this system works on an individual item basis, so each slot itself is bolstered up independently of all of the other slots on a character, so slots can give more of a bolster bonus than others if you have a really powerful item in your chest slot, as an example, but a really behind the curve implant.
kolto and corrosives
window legacy - the bastion

HighCounsil
02.20.2013 , 04:26 PM | #48
Guys, Champion War Hero gear is already ingame, that is your new pvp gear tier, there is no need to speculate on it's stats. You can check it out at almost every website that has items database.

cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 04:30 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by ebado View Post
Sigh.
sigh what?

PvE gear should not be viable in PvP. that is the entire point of expertise and having 2 separate gearing systems

and if bolster is added to end-game PvP, that is going to open up a whole other can of worms
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

sphyg
02.20.2013 , 04:30 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
What scares you? That some PvE scrub might kill you? Better balancing of the gear would be a GOOD change imo.
The reason they created expertise was to prevent this from happening. They said they didn't want someone to get top end pve gear and be able to come in and wreck shop in PvP. With this change they are making that a possibility.

I'm scared of this upsetting the hardcore players. I want this game to succeed and this scares me that it could throw it into turmoil.

I could be wrong but I'm still weary.

Rob, keep up this feedback.
Sphyg - Tha'dokta - Sphig - - - Bastion
Sphig - Sa'rissa - Sphygg - Who'just - U'just - - - Harbinger
The Chatos Paladins