Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Expertise system

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

sphyg's Avatar


sphyg
02.20.2013 , 04:07 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
You've got the crux of the idea, but I think when you are able to see all the items it will be more clear. Fundamentally, PvP gear will have lower stats then PvE gear (expertise excluded), including endurance. So high end PvE gear characters will have bigger health pools, but take more damage. The result of this interaction should get us to point of balance between the gear sets we are shooting for.
This scares me Robby.

I really enjoy your game and hope this doesn't negatively affect it.
Sphyg - Tha'dokta - Sphig - - - Bastion
Sphig - Sa'rissa - Sphygg - Who'just - U'just - - - Harbinger
The Chatos Paladins

UberDuberSoldat's Avatar


UberDuberSoldat
02.20.2013 , 04:07 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
I don't know what the exact number is off the top of my head, but one of the aspects of the system is that newPvP gear, regardless of what "tier" it is, will hit cap expertise. That is, getting higher level PvP gear won't increase your expertise stat, just more of every other stat.
so the tradeoff between expertise and endurance choice will still exist for tanks.

It all depends on what the final damage resist, healing received and possible health pools will cap out at.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.20.2013 , 04:09 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
you are balancing PvE gear so that it is equally effective as PvP gear?

um, what?
He didn't say that. PvP gear will always be better.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 04:10 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
He didn't say that. PvP gear will always be better.

Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
You've got the crux of the idea, but I think when you are able to see all the items it will be more clear. Fundamentally, PvP gear will have lower stats then PvE gear (expertise excluded), including endurance. So high end PvE gear characters will have bigger health pools, but take more damage. The result of this interaction should get us to point of balance between the gear sets we are shooting for.
that is what he said

PvE gear has no place in PvP. just like PvP gear has no place in PvE.

are we going to see a bolster system for Operations so that I can PvE with my War Hero gear?
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.20.2013 , 04:11 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by sphyg View Post
This scares me Robby.

I really enjoy your game and hope this doesn't negatively affect it.
What scares you? That some PvE scrub might kill you? Better balancing of the gear would be a GOOD change imo.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

RobHinkle's Avatar


RobHinkle
02.20.2013 , 04:12 PM | #36 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by sphyg View Post
This scares me Robby.

I really enjoy your game and hope this doesn't negatively affect it.
Remember my original comment, the goal is for high end PvE gear to come into the power gap between the recruit bolster level and PvP gear. We still want actual PvP gear to be better than PvE gear, so you are always better off wearing the gear specifically made for the content you are consuming.
Rob Hinkle | Senior Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Soulwave's Avatar


Soulwave
02.20.2013 , 04:13 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
you are balancing PvE gear so that it is equally effective as PvP gear?

um, what?
No he is stating that pve'er well have more survivability... But pvp gear well still be better

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 04:15 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Soulwave View Post
No he is stating that pve'er well have more survivability... But pvp gear well still be better
do you not see the blatant contradiction in that statement?
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.20.2013 , 04:15 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
PvE gear has no place in PvP. just like PvP gear has no place in PvE.

are we going to see a bolster system for Operations so that I can PvE with my War Hero gear?
I did the 16 man HM Xeno last night in my EWH suit. You already can PvE in PvP gear. EWH beats Rakata gear in every way.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.20.2013 , 04:16 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
do you not see the blatant contradiction in that statement?
PvE gear will have more survivability than it does now, not better than PvP gear.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.