Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Expertise system

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RobHinkle's Avatar


RobHinkle
02.20.2013 , 03:51 PM | #21 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Okamakiri View Post
Thanks for responding. However, if I'm interpreting your response correctly, that means that top end PVE gear would receive none or next to none expertise. This, as you put it, would put us somewhere between "introduction bolster" level and top end PVP gear in power, but only on damage output. The damage reduction provided by expertise cannot be replicated by any PVE stats, and thus PVE gear would still be far inferior to PVP gear. Now, I don't think any PVE'er would try to argue that their gear should be equally viable in PVP as PVP gear. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be at least competitive by performing as good as PVP gear a tier below it (i.e. DG, which is equivalent of EWH, performing at WH level in PVP). Thanks
You've got the crux of the idea, but I think when you are able to see all the items it will be more clear. Fundamentally, PvP gear will have lower stats then PvE gear (expertise excluded), including endurance. So high end PvE gear characters will have bigger health pools, but take more damage. The result of this interaction should get us to point of balance between the gear sets we are shooting for.
Rob Hinkle | Senior Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

sphyg's Avatar


sphyg
02.20.2013 , 03:53 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Okamakiri View Post
Thanks for responding. However, if I'm interpreting your response correctly, that means that top end PVE gear would receive none or next to none expertise. This, as you put it, would put us somewhere between "introduction bolster" level and top end PVP gear in power, but only on damage output. The damage reduction provided by expertise cannot be replicated by any PVE stats, and thus PVE gear would still be far inferior to PVP gear. Now, I don't think any PVE'er would try to argue that their gear should be equally viable in PVP as PVP gear. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be at least competitive by performing as good as PVP gear a tier below it (i.e. DG, which is equivalent of EWH, performing at WH level in PVP). Thanks
If pveers wasn't too PvP competitively, I think they should have to get PvP gear. Pve gear is so easy to get. You can get your specific mod crafted for pve where in pvp you have to grind several pieces to get one piece hire you like it. If you ask of a sudden make pve gear competitive for PvP, it won't sit week with the people who have spent days weeks and months even getting their gear how they want it.

Also, I could see this bringing in a lot of PVers to PvP to farm mats and not to win the match. This would add to the frustration pvpers already have.

So, please tell me you are not making pve gear as good as our even just slightly worse than ewh.
Sphyg - Tha'dokta - Sphig - - - Bastion
Sphig - Sa'rissa - Sphygg - Who'just - U'just - - - Harbinger
The Chatos Paladins

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
02.20.2013 , 03:53 PM | #23
Let me just post the definite solution to all problems real quick: Warzone repair bill on mods and/or unmoddable gear that don't carry expertise. No one would be PvP'ing in PvE gear anymore.

Let it sink in.

My ideas arent free so that will be 50 000 cartel coins.

bigheadbrandon's Avatar


bigheadbrandon
02.20.2013 , 03:54 PM | #24
woo i can pvp with no gear on and be as good as fresh 50s

RobHinkle's Avatar


RobHinkle
02.20.2013 , 03:54 PM | #25 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by UberDuberSoldat View Post
Rob, can you comment on what the new total maximum expertise achievable will be?

Currently it's what, 1395?

With the changes you're mentioning and the removal of diminishing returns, this implies all PvP players will want to max expertise on every gear set.
I don't know what the exact number is off the top of my head, but one of the aspects of the system is that newPvP gear, regardless of what "tier" it is, will hit cap expertise. That is, getting higher level PvP gear won't increase your expertise stat, just more of every other stat.
Rob Hinkle | Senior Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Kaze-Yama's Avatar


Kaze-Yama
02.20.2013 , 03:57 PM | #26
Probably won't get in answer for this but won't this basically make existing pvp gear pointless? Will War Hero be completely removed from the game? As it is now why even bother getting war hero at all if the bolster adds expertise now it means that the top tier pvp gear is the best gear and anything else is pointless.

Also how will the new gear be earned? If it is by existing comms methods it will make me sad. Getting elite war hero as of now is a waste and a major grind if not simply impossible because you can't solo queue for ranked warzones. The entire pvp gearing system as it stands is convoluted and needs a total overhaul. It just seems contradictory for them to say they are trying to make the pvp system more skill based and fair when at the same time stating that new pvp gear will come out and without diminishing returns in place if you don't maximize expertise with the best gear you will still be at a significant disadvantage especially if bolster stops adding expertise at a certain level.

EDIT: After seeing the new post, I'm still wondering will the stat increases be linked to player level with different tier gear at 50 and 55 with a common pvp currency or will their still be a differentiation between gear requiring valor or ranked levels.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.20.2013 , 03:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
so this means that bolster IS going to be added into level 50 warzones?
I may be mistaken, but I believe Bolster is always active in a warzone as it is, 1-49 and 50. This really doesn't change that at all.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Okamakiri's Avatar


Okamakiri
02.20.2013 , 04:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
You've got the crux of the idea, but I think when you are able to see all the items it will be more clear. Fundamentally, PvP gear will have lower stats then PvE gear (expertise excluded), including endurance. So high end PvE gear characters will have bigger health pools, but take more damage. The result of this interaction should get us to point of balance between the gear sets we are shooting for.
Thanks Rob. This sounds very promising and could bring a lot of new faces into PVP. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in action.
Blackburn - Assassin, Dovahkėėn - Marauder, Zarakė - Jugernaut, Hamza - Mercenary, Smith - Sniper

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 04:06 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
You've got the crux of the idea, but I think when you are able to see all the items it will be more clear. Fundamentally, PvP gear will have lower stats then PvE gear (expertise excluded), including endurance. So high end PvE gear characters will have bigger health pools, but take more damage. The result of this interaction should get us to point of balance between the gear sets we are shooting for.
you are balancing PvE gear so that it is equally effective as PvP gear?

um, what?
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

RobHinkle's Avatar


RobHinkle
02.20.2013 , 04:07 PM | #30 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe Bolster is always active in a warzone as it is, 1-49 and 50. This really doesn't change that at all.
Truth. Bolster on live right exists in level 50 Warzones, it just doesn't do anything (since everyone is at the level it tries to bolster too). With the switch to the rating system, the bolster effect will still exist in Warzones of all levels, and now will do something if the player's gear isn't up to the task.
Rob Hinkle | Senior Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]